• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Deciding Who to Leave in a Gym

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I just drop high CP Pokémon in the Gym without regard for type balancing most of the time. As long as they last I am fine.

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
IF it is a gym in the middle of nowhere, don't drop something you use in raids because some gyms have low to nonexistant turnover. If it is an area with high turnover, then a stronger defender would be best.

thekorean

If I take the gym and first one to claim it, then Snorlax. Otherwise Dragonite, which is my highest CP pokemon.

TeaWest

I usually just leave my highest CP Pokemon. Something I'll put something more lulzy in there but that's less common

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
I usually go with Slaking, if it isn't already in a gym. My Blissey isn't strong enough to defend on its own, so the next in line after Slaking is usually something around 2500 CP, just in case I do go to a level 5 raid. Considering that gym possession here is pretty short, I don't put a whole lot of thought into it.

gofishyfish

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I usually put in a high CP Pokemon with a somewhat balanced type compared to others already in the gym. If I'm the first, I drop my Rhydon in since it's my highest CP currently.

Now, this is if I'm not in a rush or if I actually care about holding the gym. As in, I want to hang onto this gym for a little bit to try to get my 50 coins. If I am in a rush, I drop in whatever pops up on my screen first. If I don't care about what needs to go in there, I put in a shiny to flex. Shallow, yes. Fun, heck yes. Shiny Charizard just looks too dang cool to not show off, even if it has a crappy CP.

I have two blissey's that I try to keep leveled up and I usually put those into gyms first due to their high CP. After that I just use my next highest CP mons. Eventually I would like to have more blissey's but chansey's are very very rare for me.

PsychoIncarnate

I drop a high CP Shiny. Shiny Tyranitar is an easy choice as it has the highest CP of any of my pokemon.

Or my favorite Pokemon, who I also have shinies of. (Blastoise and Ampharos)

twee

@^▽^@
IF it is a gym in the middle of nowhere, don't drop something you use in raids because some gyms have low to nonexistant turnover. If it is an area with high turnover, then a stronger defender would be best.
this is exactly what i do !! i live in the country, so i put a lot of weaker pokes in my local gyms and save the bigger ones for when i go to the city

Arcanine

Oldschool Firedog
Usually slaking, since I don't find him terribly helpful outside of gym defense.

Otherwise, sometimes Aggron so my auto-teambuilder stops picking him for literally everything :p

munna

I usually drop dragonite but seeing as I currently use them for palkia I drop tyranitar. If I'm with other people however it depends on the theme we go for.

airaid

Breeding Geek
I also prefer to type balance. If someone has a certain 'Mon occupying a Gym, I think about whatever I have that cancels out its weaknesses the best. If they want the Gym, they gotta work for it!

...or if I don't have time to think about it, my Shiny Slaking. Which is also my highest CP 'Mon at the moment.

quake

I usually drop a shiny I have that I know others in my area don't have. There's only one gym in my area and it has a high turn over. If I don't use a shiny then probably a new pokemon such as a gen 5 evolution or my Garchomp.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I tend to always go for high CP stuff. I'm still working on raising Candies for my buddy Chansey so that she can one day become a Blissey. Most of my recent defenders have usually been a Kangaskhan.

Monox D. I-Fly

Because I want to be known as "The Strongest Water Duelist", I only put Water or Ice Pokemon in gyms. As for which ones, it depends:
- If it's in a rural area with low turnovers, I put the lowest CP possible
- If it's in an area with high turnovers, I put the highest CP possible
- If it's in my town, there's an agreement on the players there to not attack each other Pokemon unless that Pokemon is already in a gym for more than 24 hours. Thus, the Pokemon in put in my town's gyms are the ones I want to show off: Either a Shiny, a Pokemon we Raided together, or a Pokemon which had been on my wanted list and they knew it.