• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Defensive Cores

jeffdavid102

TSS Forever
I searched the forum and I did not see any threads based on this. What are your great defensive cores? Let's go beyond the common realm of SkarmBliss and FerroCent. I have recently discovered a great core for you hax lovers with great synergy.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch

Dragonite paralyzes everything besides ground types, which Jirachi paralyzes with Body Slam. The only immune Pokemon are Golurk, Golett, and Limber mons. Nothing too common. Dragonite's typing gives it weaknesses to Dragon, Rock, and Ice, all of which are resisted by Jirachi. Jirachi has only 2 weaknesses to Ground and Fire, one of which Dragonite is immune and the other it resists. I based a team off of this and it's a fun team. I'm making an RMT soon for this. Back on topic, name your defensive core of choice.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
i would go over to whoever used that's house and kick their f**king a**.

Zapdos @Lefties
Bold

248 HP / 228 Def / 8 SpD / 24 Spe
~ Thunderbolt
~ Roost
~ Heat Wave
~ Toxic

Empoleon @Lefties
Calm
252Hp 4Def 252Sp.Def
~ Scald
~ Roar
~ Ice Beam
~ Stealth Rock

Heatran @Lefties
Calm
Flash Fire
244Hp 44Sp.Def 220Spe
~ Torment
~ Substitute
~ Protect
~ Lava Plume

it'll be perfect when zappy's dw ability is released. i dont normally spring for those fancy ~'s, but i c/p'd it from somewhere.

jeffdavid102

TSS Forever
I've seen a similar core used without Heatran but with Thundurus-T and Empoleon. Thun-t has the same typing as Zapdos, but also has an electric immunity. Zapdos will be superior in that core when its DW ability is released.

McDanger

back in BW1 i used to run sp def rotom wash, ttar, and gliscor, its still viable, but puts a lot of pressure on rotom wash to resist keldeo and gensect

jeffdavid102

TSS Forever
It was a joke

Zachmac

I've got a defensive core. I call it, Porygon2.

Okay, just kidding. Well, I've found defensive Gyarados, Gliscor, and Ferrothorn to be half decent together, at least.

Guys, don't spam.

Although it's more of an balanced core, offensive tank Garchomp and specially defensive Jirachi have some good synergy.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 148 Def / 92 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast / Aqua Tail / Dragon Tail

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
Careful Nature
- Body Slam / Thunder
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect

That Garchomp spread is my personal setup, since it helps take advantage of his power, typing, bulk, and Rough Skin. The speed EVs let Garchomp beat positive base 70s, and the Atk EVs with an Adamant nature hit a jump point in Atk. It's actually a just little more than enough to guarantee a OHKO on 4/0 Terrakion with Earthquake. This Garchomp set is deceptively bulky as well, able to survive a BalloonTran HP Ice and LO Mamoswine Ice Shard from full health, as well as a 2HKO from Scarf Terrakion's Close Combat. These two synergize pretty well, Garchomp resisted Jirachi's Fire weakness and being able to tank Ground attacks decently enough, while Jirachi resists Garchomp's Ice and Dragon weaknesses, can heal Garchomp with Wish, and compliments Garchomp's physical bulk with its own special bulk. I prefer Rocky Helmet on Garchomp for the stacking passive damage between that, Rough Skin, and Stealth Rock, but Leftovers helps Garchomp's survivability a bit more. If you're running this pair in the Rain, you can run Thunder and Aqua Tail over Body Slam and Fire Blast, respectively. Alternatively, Dragon Tail is really cool for phazing out switch ins and stacking more passive damage with Stealth Rock.

Usatoday

Eternal God
Synergy Time
Remade Wishes

233.gif

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Nature Calm
Ability Trace
Evs 252 HP 252 SDef 4 Def
Ice Beam
Toxic
Hidden Power (Ground)
Recover
So it wouldnt be me if i didn't use a porygon2. Now you may be wondering why i carry hidden power ground its very simple to help jirachi. You see a solid counter to jirachi is magnezone which allows it to trap jirachi with its ability magnet pull so we can abuse said ability with trace. Now for those that dont know how yrace is used, its simple trace will copy the ability of the opponent when porygon2 switches in to magnezone it will trace magnet pull and we can trap magnezone itself. Next since magnezone is 4x weak to ground we can 2 hit KO it. Next off we have how it helps jellicent by being able to switch into thunderus therian and trace volt absorb. Then we have the boltbeam combo to jellicent to help take down dragons as jellicent is meant for fighting types. Finally we have recover to help heal off the damage and to hande specs hidden power fires from latios.

593f.gif

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Nature Bold
Ability Water Absorb
Evs 252 HP 252 Def 4 SAtk
Surf
Hidden Power (Electric)
Will-O-Wisp
Recover
Now we have one of the most annoying walls in the overused metagame. Now if you look the other two pokemon really don't appreciate fighting attacks and because of the ghost typing jellicent fits very well into the core as a great pivot switch. Now we have WoW for the reason of getting some things burned such as tyranitar which is a nightmare to take out however when its burned tyranitar is much easier for jirachi to handle. Recover just like porygon2 is meant to recover health and stall out fighting types such as terrakion. Now hidden power electric may seem odd but not after facing gyarados electric is a nice type to have on jellicent.

385.gif

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Nature Sassy
Ability Serene Grace
Evs 252 HP 252 SDef 4 Atk
Thunder
Rain Dance
Iron Head
Wish
Now this may seem weord but its effectove at its job. Now porygon2 can't take on every special attacker politoed for example however this rachi can with paralysis from thunder and iron head flinching. Rain dance acts as a buffer against sun teams and gives jellicent a decent power up on surf. Now jirachi can also handle the lati twins with fairly good ease allowing it to not be afraid of draco's from both of them upon tje rest of the team. Wish is there to heal a worn down member of said core.

Zachmac

^Porygon2 doesn't really need to handle Jirachi, since Jellicent handles the physical versions with will-o-wisp anyway, and calm mind versions are only 3HKOed by HP ground, not factoring in any stat boost.

Though I guess without it sub paralysis would be a pain without it, it's not really common enough to be much of a threat.

Edit: Huh, it seems the most common CM Jirachi set doesn't use wish. Huh, I guess HP ground can work.

Edit2: On a different note, Terrakion would have lots of fun with that core, but I guess most defensive cores have to beat it through prediction anyway...

Hilda

No, it became spam when you made a joke post with just four words that had no point behind it. So...don't do it again.

Maybe I do believe those 2 are good walls? I'm going to take my leave if even the mods don't know what exactly a spam is. It was a relevant answer to the topic.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Maybe I do believe those 2 are good walls? I'm going to take my leave if even the mods don't know what exactly a spam is. It was a relevant answer to the topic.

Yes, argue with the moderator, that will end so well for you.

This is a defensive core I used on a monoSteel team, I was actually shocked at how well it performed, despite the fact that they're both weak to Fire attacks (although I had Heatran for that).

227.png

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish - Sturdy
252 HP, 252 Defence
-Whirlwind
-Roost
-Brave Bird
-Sandstorm

Typical Skarmwall with a twist; Sandstorm. Sandstorm allows me to cancel Sun and Rain, which really screw over MonoSteel teams. Brave Bird lets him check Infernape as long as it doesn't carry Overheat (which it normally does...) as well as let it beat other fighting types like Conkeldurr. Grass and Bug types are fairly rare, but Brave Bird KO's Volcarona if Rocks are on the field. Whirlwind phases out sweepers that are set up and prepared to sweep my team.

385.png

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Careful - Serene Grace
252 Sp. Def, 252 HP, 4 Attack
-Body Slam
-Iron Head
-Wish
-Stealth Rocks

Same as Skarmory can soak up any physical hit in the game, Jirachi covers the special side. Honestly, it was either this or Empoleon, and if I went with Empoleon, Thunderus-T walks all over me. Body Slam and Iron Head for ParaFlinching opponents to death, especially things like Terrakion. Wish nabs some quick healing for him or his teammates, and he carries Rocks for my team so Skarmory can carry Sandstorm.

All in all, there's better options, but not for MonoSteel, so I think it's kind of cool. I wouldn't use this in standard OU though.

Hmm?

It just happens to become a spam when you don't get it.

If it wasn't a joke post, then what was there to "get"? Not to mention that "Torkoal and Magcargo. Yeah!!!!" is hardly decent discussion. No explanation, no reasoning, no real discussion at all.

It'd be best not to argue with someone who's been here for more than two years and knows spam when they see it. Don't spam anymore, end of discussion.

Torkoal and Magcargo. Yeah!!!!

This is obviously spam. A useless post that was clearly a joke (unless you really were being serious in thinking Torkoal + Magcargo are a good defensive core, in which case you are hilariously bad). Yelling out two random Pokemon with zero defensive synergy does not contribute to the topic at all.

If you want to stay or leave, it makes no difference to me. But do not pretend for a second that you were not spamming.