• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Defining and vivid words.

Corrosion

Hello Kitty =/= Cat
I need help with using more vivid and captivating words in my stories. Mostly I seem to need help with words that I know that I know, but I keep on forgetting, like obsolete. What I need you to help me with is find some words that one likes to see in interesting writing that are easy to remember.

The second of my help-request list is for imagining words in your mind. For instance, when I write down the differences between the words "irritated" and "annoyed", and I find myself looking at something like this:

Irritated: a step down from anger; below bursting point; rough; less cultured; tired; easier to "touch" than to think of, because it sways to annoyance.

Annoyed: a "smooth" step down from irritated; even if the annoying thing is still there, will never go into anger; more cultured; more patience; easier to think of than to feel.

Another thing, the words "rage" and "anger" make me more likely to think of something rough, while the word "fury" seems more smooth, if you catch my drift. Sometimes I think of "rough", "smooth", "gentle", "hard", and "soft" for words. Can you please tell me why this is?

Specific words carry certain connotations that vary from person to person. A connotation is an implied meaning or extension to a word that develops based upon a person's exposure to a word. Though "rage" and "fury" have near identical denotations (dictionary definitions), they carry different implied meanings because you may have been exposed to each word as such.

As for keeping track of more captivating words, the answer seems pretty simple: Either keep a list of words you wish to use, or study them. I suggest read more literature to obtain a higher vocabulary or, if desperate, go study SAT words. Though don't opt for what sounds nice and eschew clarity; some blander words just fit better than a more extravagant one, even if they have similar meanings, and even then word choice comes down to the situation being described and if a higher word choice is even called for or not.

The thing about Literary Theory is that you're creating art, so it's up to the author to make the final call. Write what flows naturally and only use varying words if you find yourself in repitition.

Breezy

I need help with using more vivid and captivating words in my stories. Mostly I seem to need help with words that I know that I know, but I keep on forgetting, like obsolete. What I need you to help me with is find some words that one likes to see in interesting writing that are easy to remember.
Read other works, pretty much. You could read a dictionary or thesaurus and remember that it's synonymous with another word or that this words mean "_____", but the problem with that is that you may not know how to use it correctly or naturally. I feel like it's better to learn a word when you see it in practice rather than just its blunt definition because it will help you learn how to actually use it in your own stories. Likewise, a simpler vocabulary is sufficient in illustrating a point. Extravagant vocabulary =\= higher quality work.

Xman96

Fighting Leader
I've read some articles, where the author tried to make himself sound smart by using all of these absolutely ridiculous words. It doesn't sound good and it makes you look pretentious. I agree with the above, read more good literature. I would suggest Ivanhoe, The Illiad, and The odyssey. All three are wonderful books, and will improve your vocabulary.

Antithesis

I wouldn't stress vocabulary at all, really: just keep reading and pick up what you pick up, simple as that. Use the best word you know for what you need to describe, never go running to a thesaurus to make yourself sound smarter.

Legend of Lucario

Songwriter
I have to say, I enjoy all the above advice.

My advice: I know they've all said it, but you really have to read, that's how you pick up on things, even if you're just reading Fan Fiction, you'll see different terms used, even terms that you wouldn't have thought of, or even terms you've never even really heard of. That's the point where I look them up to see what they mean, because who knows when you could use it?

And of course let things flow naturally, you can tell when someone is trying to force eloquent vocabulary into their pieces where when you let things flow naturally it seems, well, natural!

Corrosion

Hello Kitty =/= Cat
...About your saying things about me reading more. I'm reading "adult" level books right now. I also read them about fifteen hours each day. I know I need to read less, actually. It's more about remembering the words than knowing them.

Draco Malfoy

-REaction
Read other works, pretty much. You could read a dictionary or thesaurus and remember that it's synonymous with another word or that this words mean "_____", but the problem with that is that you may not know how to use it correctly or naturally. I feel like it's better to learn a word when you see it in practice rather than just its blunt definition because it will help you learn how to actually use it in your own stories. Likewise, a simpler vocabulary is sufficient in illustrating a point. Extravagant vocabulary =\= higher quality work.

QFT.

http://dictionary.reference.com/

That should give you a start, but honestly, real paper dictionaries are preferable. The smell of paper is therapeutic. =)

And .Bright Side., he probably means "higher level" fiction, like the Brontes or Dickens. Authors with impressive vocabularies.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
I always type up my fic in Microsoft Word, and if I want a more descriptive word, I right click on a word and click "synonyms". This gives you a few choices, so you just choose the one that makes most sense.

SerenadeSP

My Loyal Feraligatr
What I usually do (especially when I write at 2 am) is that I just whatever words I think of and go back and edit it later. For example, I want to convey a rippling effect like when a droplet of water falls into a lake, but since it's 2 am, my brain won't let me get the words out. So I usually just write something like this:

"Sounds extended out of the center of the room, washing over everything in an evergrowing cirlce."

Then the next day, when I'm wellrested, I go back and edit it. So then I'll have something like this:

"Sounds spread from the center of the room, causing heads to turn from every direction."

Then sometime later I'll realize that sentence was complete crap so I'll change it entirely while still having the same purpose in mind:

"Glass splattered noisily against the floor, drawing attention from everyone nearby, and soon, the entire room was staring in his direction."

Or something like that. It's probably not the best example, but at least I didn't write it at 2 am. XD The point is that you might not think of the correct way to word it the first time you write it down. But after a while you might be able to find a better way to say the same thing.