• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Definition vs. Common Usage

Does the definition of a word supersede its common usage?

• Yes

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • No

Votes: 27 62.8%

• Total voters

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
My dad and I have a long-standing argument going about the proper usage of the word "paranoid." To be "paranoid" means you suffer from paranoia, which is a mental disorder characterized by "baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others." Basically, to be "paranoid," strictly speaking, means that you have paranoia, which is an unmotivated fear of persecution. Strictly going by the dictionary, that is correct, but I don't think anyone would disagree that that is not how it is used in common vernacular. No matter how wrong by the dictionary it might be, most people use the word "paranoid" in a much more loose sense. "A bird pooped on my windshield last week while I was driving and ever since I've been paranoid about my car getting dirty." "I accidentally dropped my phone yesterday and I've been paranoid ever since about it breaking." "I'm paranoid about eating any kind of spicy food at all because my heartburn is so bad, even if it is very mild food." These would all be examples of how the word is commonly used, but none of them are correct by the dictionary definition. You wouldn't assume that the speaker has paranoia based on the context of those examples, nor does he fear persecution, but instead just a dirty car, a fragile cellphone and heartburn.

My dad argues that despite the common-usage definition of the word having changed over time, anyone who uses the word in that sense is using it incorrectly and they are wrong. While that is technically true, I argue that the way in which most people understand it and utilize it is what is "correct" and that the dictionary needs to reflect not what is "correct" but what is commonly understood as true.

In a more broad discussion, who is right here? Putting the specific word "paranoid" aside, which principle is more correct? Should anyone who uses a word outside of the strict dictionary definition be considered to be using the word incorrectly? Or does the common usage of a word supersede the dictionary definition, if the more common usage is what everyone in the society knows and the dictionary definition has become antiquated? Discuss.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Another example is the word gay. It used to mean happy as in "Have a gay old time." from the Flintstones. It has since then changed its definition to homosexual. There are people who are trying to corrupt the word to mean stupid or silly. Our resident user -silver- was mislead into believing that gay actually meant that.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
There are to many words that we use that are not dictionary correct. Check your dad. If he says Cool when something is interesting or fun or bad when something is again interesting or fun.

Language is an ever evolving thing, so what a word means today, 10 years from now may have a different meaning added.

Lord Argentine

A sadist's wymsy.
What about paranoid's second definition?

Unreasonably or obsessively anxious, suspicious, or mistrustful

I've used slang freely in speech, and online posts. It doesn't bother me, and hasn't caused any sort of ruckus. However, in academic writing, I think it is highly looked down upon.

Gay, means happy, or joyous. The modern uses of it as a synonym for stupid or homosexual are both slang.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
I highly disagree with accepting common usage over definition. There is a reason it's called a definition, not a common used word. That's because it is the word's actual meaning. Using it for any others reason is slang and can be immensely annoying. For example: when teens use the word beast, I want to rip their mouth off their face and attach it backwards...

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
I guess dictionary definitions are kind of more like "base definitions", if you get what I'm saying. You don't necessarily need to use a word to it's absolute, exact definition in order for it to be valid usage. You can use a word in an unofficial manner, and yet it can make sense. The dictionary isn't perfect, and might have some uncovered, yet possible usage for different words that went unnoticed.

But no, I'm not taking some random group of teenagers' sides. Many others use words as if their definition was completely alien compared to the actual thing. You don't really need to be 100% correctly using the word 100% of the time, but you still need to keep on track with the actual meaning.

Moneyy

INACTIVE
I think definition is important, but a lot of times you can use slang and get away with it because so many other people already use it that way.

I think that words should be used by their definition, but some words people wouldn't even understand in their proper place. "Let's" means "let us," but a lot of people don't realize that.

I don't get half the slang. How does "beast" correspond with "awesome?" Or "sick?"

I don't really care though, as long as people don't try to corrupt it, like gay.

emboarrocks

#1 emboar fan
It depends. If everyone uses the word 'beast' as awesome and nobody actually goes by the defenition then i guess its okay

Vernikova

Champion
Over time, words take on different meanings because they end up being used in different ways. It's just what naturally happens as a language evolves. Take the word "Sophisticated" for example. It was originally intended as a negative word but now is widely accepted as being a positive word.

Also, dictionaries are updated with new words and revisions to current words to update them. That's just the way language is. I wouldn't be surprised if in a century or two, we would be speaking a new kind of English where the meanings of words are totally different.

I don't get half the slang. How does "beast" correspond with "awesome?" Or "sick?"

Well, beasts are generally seen as big and powerful creatures so when someone does something that makes them feel powerful I suppose people would compare them to beasts. In sports for example, when someone is dominating a game and no one can stop him then people would generally see that person as something that would be hard to stop (beast). Of course, the context matters as well but that's how I think it became what it is today.

Ivanka

Freeeeeeeeee
I don't think the definition of a word supersedes its actual meaning anymore. It's sort of sad in a way that so many words have lost their meaning, but then there's only us to blame. ;(

Megaton666

Swampert Trainer
The word "theory" is a prime example. It's common meaning is the exact opposite of it's definition.

Zora

perpetually tired
Depends on what kind of dictionary you're talking about. A disciplinary dictionary supersedes colloquial usage within that given discipline. Basically, something like paranoia in a psychological context would defer exclusively to a psychological dictionary, as the DSM. However, the key word is "within that given discipline." In a colloquial context, well yeah, the vernacular meaning often takes priority. Common dictionaries are terrible sources to defer to when defining words, because they explain the definition of the word, not establish it.

That's my take on it anyways. Basically, disciplinary (e.g. medical) dictionaries when pertinent>colloquial usage>common dictionary.

MegSuicune251

Pokemon's #1 Fan
I think people should use slang terms freely without being reprimanded by not using the word properly. This is one of my biggest peeves. So the dictionary says a word means a specific thing, dont be a strict interpreter! As long as its not truly negative or offensive, like the usage of the word gay, its ok to use a word in a different way than what the dictionary says.

To me, the definition is merely a guideline. Language develops all the time, in the same way as culture develops. definitions are what the word specifically means, but you can use it in any way you want to. As more people start saying x word y way, then it is one way of using the word. Definitions merely state the most common uses at the time of writing.

Aegon

Some people are obsessed with passing off dictionary entries as the only possible meanings for certain words, especially in arguments. In most situations, I think common usage should come first, as --eventually-- that meaning will find its way into a dictionary. We shouldn't follow everything a book says, now, should we?

ChedWick

Language is ever evolving so I think the use of formal definitions over common uses and vice versa is pretty situation.

Concept

Führer of Fun
Dictionaries explain a language, they don't define it. What does your dad think, that someone invented English by writing the dictionary?

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
Definition of definition:

A statement of the exact meaning of a word, esp. in a dictionary.

That pretty much wraps it up here.

ChedWick

Definition of definition:

A statement of the exact meaning of a word, esp. in a dictionary.

That pretty much wraps it up here.

Not that I don't semi agree but citing an exact definition as a case to ALWAYS use exact definitions isn't exactly the best argument.