1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Delibird's Tales [Yuletide One-shot]

Discussion in 'Completed Fics' started by The Teller, Dec 31, 2015.

1. The Teller

The Teller King of Half-Truths

Author's Notes: Since all the cool kids are doing it, here is my Yuletide story, originally for DeliriousAbsol. I'd go ahead and give it a G-rating. It helps to read all non-dialogue paragraphs in the voice of the narrator from the How The Grinch Stole Christmas special. Enjoy!

Delibird's Tales

High atop Mt. Freeze, past the Frosty Forest, overlooking the Magma Cavern, and with Sky Tower barely visible far into the distance, there was a small cave. It was a neat and tidy cave, it was a cramped and tiny cave, and it was a cold, cold cave indeed. There were two wondrous creatures called Pokémon inside the cave, peering out into the harsh snowstorm that was flurrying about outside. Now, Mt. Freeze was constantly blanketed in snow, but it did not get all that snow from a continuous stream of snowstorms. Yes, it was not often Mt Freeze would get such ferocious snowstorms, but when it did, that snow was there to stay, and that was how Mt Freeze got its illuminating shine and sparkle.

Now inside the cave there were two neighbors, as was said. One was a long-lived resident of the mountain, a red and white bird with an unusual array of feathers around its eyes and chest, holding its thick, broad tail in one hand, and holding a worried expression on its face. Delibird, as he was called, was always fearful about the inherent danger of the snowstorms. Standing next to him was a small, blue blob. It didn't really look like anything, and it didn't really care. Still a young resident to the mountain and always inquisitive, Wynaut was perpetually in a good mood, the smile on its face proof of that, unless it was hungry. And despite the howling storm raging outside, Wynaut was quite full in the tummy, and so was blissfully ignorant of what was going on outside. Or maybe Wynaut was simply content? This, Delibird pondered.

"Though this storm is the fiercest one I've seen yet, it will not be the one to destroy this place," Delibird said, both to himself and to Wynaut.

"Why not?"

"This tall rock is mostly snow now, more snow than dirt. It has been around longer than my papa, or my papa's papa. Perhaps, even longer than his papa. And when you are a papa, it will still be here. It will live on forever, like with the snowstorm that visits every so often. The tall rock and the snowstorm are neighbors too, you know, though they do not like one another."

"Why not?"

Delibird chuckled.

"Well, I suppose it is a one-sided feeling. Long, long ago, over 500 years in fact, the tall rock and the snow were best friends. They laughed, they cried, and they played. The snow would kiss the face of the tall rock as it landed and the sun would never go away. All of us on the tall rock would smile and sing songs about the true friendship between the snow and the tall rock. Then one day, the snow met a new friend, the wind. The wind loved the snow very much, but hated the tall rock. The wind was jealous of the tall rock's friendship with the snow. The wind wanted the snow to only be friends with her. So the wind told awful lies about the tall rock to the snow. Day after day, the wind told poisonous words to the snow, and the snow visited the tall rock less and less. Soon, the snow would invite the wind to play with the tall rock, but the wind would hurt the tall rock, and the snow would think the tall rock deserved it. The tall rock was very sad, as we all were, but it knew one day the snow would return to its playful self and kiss the tall rock's face again. The snow and the wind would soon marry and become the snowstorm, creating the clouds to hide the sun, but the tall rock would still believe. That is why we should all believe that the snowstorm will become the snow once again."

And the mesmerized Wynaut said nothing as Delibird finished his hopeful tale. The two gazed out into the snowstorm once again, and shared a long silence with each other. Finally, Delibird spoke again.

"Do you know why some Delibird look different than most Delibird, and why some Sneasel look different than most Sneasel? They are not to be trusted."

"Why not?"

"Well, long ago, there was a tribe of Pokémon. These Pokémon were unlike anything you've seen before. They moved in mysterious ways, they sang in otherworldly tones, they hid their true face, and their red skin draped over them like it was a Gardevoir. Mysterious things always happened around them, and they were the queens of ice. Despite all of that, they were friends to the rest of us on the tall rock. They sang to us songs of their home world, using words we've never heard before, and danced forbidden dances, bewitching us to dance alongside them.

"One day, one of these Pokémon had a baby. It was perfect in every way and all the Pokémon in the tribe celebrated. They sang and danced for a thousand years as a way to express how happy they were with the birth of the new baby. The tall rock felt warmer than usual and the snow danced around the tribe in a spectacle of wonderment. Then, late one night, while everyone else was asleep, one of the tribal Pokémon snuck into the baby's home, past the mother, and up to the baby's crib. The Pokémon gingerly picked up the baby, clutched it close to her bosom, and snuck off into the night. This Pokémon did not sing, did not dance. She took great care that the baby not cry.

"The tribe noticed the baby was missing immediately, for they felt the joy leave the tribe's home. They searched the crib and found it empty, and the mother was very sad. Her tears were colder than the coldest snowflake and her wails are still heard in the winds to this day. The tribe searched everywhere for the baby, but they could not find it. They finally searched a very high cliff and found the thief and the sleeping baby. The tribe were very angry at the thief and demanded she hand the baby back over to her rightful mother, but the thief wanted the baby all to herself. The baby then let out a scream, which startled the thief, who threw the baby away from herself and towards the tribe and stepped back. She tripped over a branch and fell off the cliff, perishing.

"One year later, a new tribal Pokémon appeared before the tribe. Her black skin had turned purple, her hair had been bleached, and her red skin had turned a deep shade of pink. The tribe immediately recognized the new Pokémon as the thief. She had been reincarnated, but knew nothing of the crimes she had committed in her previous life. So that all others may know of her crimes forever, her body had been transformed and there was nothing she could do to hide it. And so, whenever you see a Pokémon that looks different than the others of its kind, you know not to trust it, for it has committed a terrible crime in a previous life."

The fascinated Wynaut said nothing as Delibird concluded his cautionary tale. The snowstorm continued its run outside the mountain, though it did seem to be winding down a little. Delibird wracked his brain trying to come up with one more tale to tell Wynaut. Finally, he remembered one from when he was a chick.

"Have you ever seen small, bright lights race across the sky at night, young Wynaut? I have never seen somebody move so fast before, not even the fastest Absol."

"Why not?"

"Because love is the fastest force in the world, Wynaut. One day, in a faraway land, there was a lovely Nidorina. She was the beautiful princess of a mighty kingdom, and all the peasants loved her, both for her radiance and her unbounded kindness. Then one day, she met a brave and handsome Nidorino, and they fell in love. As it turns out, the Nidorino was the prince to a neighboring kingdom. The prince and the princess were so in love, that they soon decided to get married. The kings of the two kingdoms did not approve of the marriage, however. In secrecy, the prince's father agreed to start a war in an even more distant land, and sent his young son to war over there, so that he could not marry the young princess. The young couple were very sad about being separated.

"While the prince was away, the princess sank further and further into a deep depression. Meanwhile, the prince fought many battles, but he too was always sad and miserable. Many, many nights later, the sad princess finally couldn't take it anymore and let out a mournful wail. Only those around her could hear it...them, and her fateful prince, located far, far away, in a far distant land, fighting a battle he did not want to fight. When he heard her sorrowful sound, he at once dropped his sword. He could bear his feelings no longer. At that moment, he turned his soul into a brilliant ball of light, and shot up into the sky, mind, body, and soul. He streaked across the sky, plainly visible for all to see, as he raced towards his true love. In an instant, he was by her side, and no one could ever force them apart ever again.

"Others were inspired by the prince's actions. And so, when two lovers are intertwined by true love and are separated by a great distance, and when one of them needs the comfort of the other, the other will turn their soul into a ball of light and fly across the sky. It doesn't happen very often, and even less often in great numbers, but when it does, if you wish upon a soaring soul, your wish will be granted."

And thus Delibird concluded his heartwarming tale and the two Pokémon looked out the cave again. The snowstorm had mostly disappeared by this point. Suddenly, the snowstorm stopped completely, and something wondrous happened. The night sky cleared up and a small light could be seen lazily crossing the inky black sky. Then, many more lights could be seen, all of them faster than the first, traveling across the sky in a beautifully choreographed display.

"Look! Look, Wynaut! All the souls of separated couples, migrating to their loved ones! Do you see? Now make a wish!"

And the young Wynaut looked out at the celestial party commencing across the sky and felt a sense of wonderment, something more moving than being hungry.

"...Why not."

The two Pokémon looked blissfully at the night sky, admiring the spectacular night show, each of them wishing with all their might, their innermost desires. A warming sensation most comforting spread throughout the cave and, indeed, throughout the mountain, as all the Pokémon looked up to the sky and saw the meteor shower take place, all of them wishing with all their heart. And when the meteor shower finally ended, they all went to sleep, dreaming sweet dreams of the things they had wished for.

The End

2. [Imaginative]:[Clockwork]

[Imaginative]:[Clockwork] X-treme trainer

This was sweet, and I wish I could have read it on Christmas. The coziness and the almost sing-songy quality to some of the dialogue made it feel like a traditional holiday story.

For me, the strongest story was the first. I've never played PMD, so I'm not sure if it were taken from the games, but I thought the stuff about the snowstorm was clever and was a neat folklore-ish way to explain why pleasant snow became stormy.

The third, on the other hand, was far more fairy than folk as tales go, but it ended up tying nicely into the ending that brought the whole mountain together. It was maybe a little convenient for a meteor shower to start just as Delibird finished explaining what causes them, but I guess the holidays are as good a time as any for magical coincidences.

I found the second story a little weaker than the other two. Since the reader will naturally assume shiny pokemon haven't actually committed a grievous sin in the past, the moral of the story really only seems to reinforce baseless bigotry, which is quite different from the gentle lessons of the other two. It's just kind of strange, and I'm not sure what to take from it other than the fact that not all of delibird's stories are as wholesome as the others. I think placing the least sweet of the three in the middle was a smart move, though, since it softens the blow. The one-shot still comes across as warm peek at Mt. Freeze that's perfect for the holidays.

3. The Teller

The reasoning behind the second story was a couple of things. 1). A lot of 50s and 60s Christmas ads were heavily racist (and sexist and other things). 2). A lot of fairy tales have dark meanings behind them. It made sense in my head that, as old as Delibird is, he, and others his age, would see unusual things as dangerous and something to be feared, and thus would have some kind of justification for his treatment of them (in this case, an old tale he was told that explains why shiny Pokemon deserve to be mistrusted). Or perhaps he made the tale up himself? I put in a few choice words here and there to imply that the tales aren't totally 100% legit and Delibird is exaggerating everything. 3). My apparent inability to NOT inject some sort of sadness or gritty realism into everything, regardless as to whether it belongs there or not :p.

For the first story, I only took the place names from PMD. Anything else was completely made up by me. I was going for an old Native-American tale feel. For the third story, well, it IS a Yuletide/Christmas entry, so extra cheesiness with a convenient meteor shower was inevitable, I think.

Anyway, that was my line of thinking. Thanks for the review!

P.S.: Up until the final day, I had Wynaut say "Wynaut?" all throughout the fic, but then I changed it once I realized it doesn't make sense cohesively with Delibird talking in English.

4. I had made a note to review this a while ago, but I don't know why I never got around to it. But I hope it's not too late!

I really like your language here - it definitely read like a folk tale, and even Delibird's dialogue fit in well with the whole fairy tale feeling you're going for here. Even when you dealt with tougher themes in the second and third tale, the language maintained the overall cheery tone of the entire story, which made it much more effective. I was also amused at how you integrated Wynaut's brilliant name-pun into the story!

The tales themselves are very creative. I particularly liked the third tale the best, as it reminded me of the Japanese tale that inspired the holiday surrounding Jirachi. But all three of them worked really great as origin stories, so good job there!

Also, I get that the three tales are supposed to be random given the situation, but a part of me wished that there was some sort of progression between them. I don't mean something like them being connected, as I like the effect of three different tales pushing three different morals, but I guess I wanted the frame of the tales to be strengthened, in that there was a reason why Delibird chose to tell those three particular tales (and in that order). Of course, I may be asking for something beyond the story's project, and like I said, I think the one-shot works fine the way it is given the situation, but I just wanted to bring it up.

Overall a really good and cheery read, and your language and creativity really took it up a notch. Great job with it! :)

5. The Teller

It's never too late to leave a review for one of my works! I still reply to reviews for stories I wrote over 5 years ago!

I actually wrote down all of Wynaut's complex, story-driven lines as "Wynaut?" at first, but then late in the game, I decided that it didn't go well with Delibird speaking in English, so I painstakingly rewrote them as "Why not?" Thankfully, the joke remained untouched.

It's so cool that the third story resembles that Japanese tale! I was just going for a Romeo and Juliet vibe there. My personal favorite was the second story, btw. I was going to have my signature artist draw up a scene from that one, but time ran out for her.

I get what you're saying about connectivity with the stories. It can be a bit jarring. The final story was told last because it directly led into the actual meteor shower that was about to happen (one of my requirements for my entry was that it had to do with "meteor showers"). Something really sappy and sweet for the holidays. The other two were ordered in that way because...that's the order I thought them up! Writing by the seat of your pants! Whoo!

So thanks again for the review and I'm so glad you enjoyed it!