• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Del's Delicious Fanfiction Deli - Spring Serving

DeliriousAbsol

Call me Del
The Spring Serving is finally here! (I wish I could say the same for spring. We had snow again in the UK yesterday. Snow.)

First, I'm terribly sorry for the delay on getting this posted. I will really strive to get the Summer Serving up in time for summer!

In this serving, among our usual delights, we are bringing you a special with a 'One Shot' selection, carefully hand-picked and put together. I hope you enjoy! =D

Newbie Club on Rye

A brand-new fic from a brand-new member, this entry immediately seized my undivided attention and refused to let up. It’s the story of Guzma and Lusamine from Sun/Moon—all their interactions that led up to the story you already know from those games, all the implications that were only barely teased at in-game—here laid out in deliciously detailed glory. This story takes the characters you know and love and explores them to their fullest—all of Guzma’s fear and anger and self-loathing, all of Lusamine’s chilling, calculated manipulation. But, without spoiling too much, one tiny change in the events that happened within Ultra Space will take the events of this story down a wildly unfamiliar path. One that will throw Guzma into a life he couldn’t possibly have imagined. The story is a true joy to read, with lush prose that’ll have you laughing out loud one moment and stunned into silence the next. Despite the length of the chapters, there isn’t a single wasted moment. Every conversation reveals another layer to its characters, and even the banter lets slip the subtler shades of the darker thoughts and feelings lurking underneath. With a richly in-depth exploration of Guzma and Lusamine, (not to mention a fantastically grumpy portrayal of Nanu) Beasts and Beauties is sure to draw you in and keep you hooked, and with over 30 chapters over on FFN, we’ve got quite a bit to look forward to seeing here. Why not get caught up early?

Review by Chibi Pika

Hidden Gem, Ham and Cucumber

The forums haven't seen many fanfics focusing on members of Team Magma or Team Aqua, and Drowning fills the gap nicely. It goes deep into the eco-terrorist teams, humanizing the people who've decided that flooding the entire world is a good idea to the point that their legendary-waking plans seem almost plausible.

Where Drowning really shines is in its characters. This isn't a story about super-powered trainers confronting gods or, despite most of the characters belonging "villainous" teams, about anyone who could easily be described as "evil." The protagonist, Maressa, joined Team Aqua out of a desire to help Pokémon, and because the job gives her a real opportunity to work with Pokémon and be appreciated for her battling skills. While it becomes increasingly clear that she's in way over her head, she's reluctant to simply up and quit the team, which would mean leaving behind her friends, the respect she's earned from her teammates, and even just a steady paycheck. The other grunts we meet feel like real people, too, with believable reasons for being a part of the teams' conflict. Even Archie feels like a genuine person, outsized love of the sea and all. The story forces all of them to confront what really matters to them and how far they're willing to go for duty and for their fellow team members. The characters genuinely grow and change over the course of the story, and Starlight Aurate knows how to play them off each other to great effect.

Of course, it wouldn't be a Pokémon story without some actual Pokémon, and the Pokémon in Drowning stand out just as much as their human counterparts. Starlight Aurate does an excellent job of giving them personalities despite the fact that they can't talk, and it's a delight to see them argue back at their trainers, take matters into their own hands, and steal the spotlight from human members of the cast. Drowning is a story that takes the connection between humans and Pokémon seriously, and that connection has a profound influence both on the characters and on the course of the plot.

The character drama takes place against the rising tension of Team Magma and Team Aqua's rivalry, which involves frequent clashes between the teams, kidnappings, escapes, and most recently Jirachi's awakening. Although the action can get intense and neither team pulls any punches, this isn't a dark fic by any means, and the characters keep the world-ending plot nicely grounded. This story is a good option if you want something meaty that isn't going to drift into gritty epic territory, and of course it's a must-read for fans of Team Magma or Team Aqua.

Review by Negrek

As of writing this review, I am 23 chapters into Guiding Light and counting. This is a fantastic story with an unusual premise that enjoys poking fun at the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon franchise in an affectionate, light-hearted way. But tossed in with all that humour is a deep, serious and somewhat dark plot-line.

While our token human-turned-pokemon protagonist might still be in possession of his memories, just like every human dragged into the universe he doesn't really know why he's there. But he can assume, given he's played the games. With his head inflated with ego, he ends up stringing along a rather unwilling riolu as his partner. Despite her protests, she's helping him 'save the world' whether she likes it or not.

His knowledge of the seventh generation of pokemon is also somewhat lacking, leading to many humorous outbursts. Including having zero clue why his new vulpix body is sparkly and white. Or why it can't breathe fire. Try to avoid it if you want, but you cannot dislike Shane. You will love him. End of argument.

Now let's look at Shane in a bit more detail. He is a goofball with a motor of a mouth, and he runs it off at any given moment, from humorous quips to cringe-worthy moments when you actually feel for the character's lack of common sense. One particular event is when he goes off on how 'hideous' poor Null is, while the poor chimera is sat right there! His mouth is a weapon of mass destruction, and it's aimed right at himself. It lands him in more trouble than he himself would probably care to admit, and it's done so well you can't help but get whisked along with him on his unexpected adventures. He also speaks his mind, and sometimes has even said things I've been thinking only seconds before!

But he does grow as a character, learning from his mistakes, and he does want to improve his friendship with Tessa and be a good team mate. He's a truly believable character, complete with flaws. He isn't perfect, and that's what makes him great.

As for the story itself, the dialogue is very well strung together and flows like water. Even the character interactions are believable, while still taking the reader by surprise. But one thing I truly love about the dialogue is how a majority of the characters sound unique, particularly the more minor or side characters. From Braviary's Texan drawl to Magearna's invention of words that she uses so freely, each character just oozes personality from the way they speak alone. The added characteristics in their speech patterns makes them memorable, and creates a fun read that allows them to come to life as you get a better insight to how Ambyssin wants the characters to appear in your head.

Guiding Light also mentions a lot of familiar characters, holding true to the PMD canon. Some favourites come up from time to time, even if they are only mentioned. Although there is an alarming suggestion that two particular canon members may actually be antagonists this time around. I won't spoil this for you, but like myself you may be in for a bit of an unexpected shock.

The enemies in this story, however, are reminiscent of Frankenstein's Monster. Like the story itself, they are very well crafted and imaginative while still being absolutely terrifying. One thing is for certain, this is no easy adventure for Shane, Tessa and Null. The characters each have their own share of baggage, on top of trying to save their home world of Horizon from a catastrophic disaster. Let's just say I hope everyone reading this will join me on this roller-coaster of an adventure.

Review by Delirious Absol

Deli Special

I chose this one because there's not enough 5th Gen Love out there! I might be rather biased, and partial to the deliciousness of Gen 5's plot!

Dramatic Melody serves up a nice one-shot here that is a sequel to another story called Dear Purrloin. (I'll admit I'm yet to read that one.) I found myself pulled in to the growing bond between Hazel and her previously stolen Purrloin, now evolved to Liepard.

In the Black/White 2 games we don't find out what happened once Hugh returned his sister's stolen pokemon. Dramatic Melody answers this question well. Hazel struggles to re-bond with her pokemon. A pokemon that had grown up in the clutches of an evil Team Plazma member, raised to help him steal other trainer's pokemon. Liepard probably hadn't had a good upbringing. The Team Plazma member had probably treated it terribly. Whatever had happened, poor Hazel paid the price by having to put up with its 'cattitude' until it became re-accustomed to life outside crime.

If anyone has had a cat, Dramatic Melody gets across the feline nature well. The research certainly paid off. I mean... don't we all meow at our cats? (With some funny looks in return, too. Although that might be just my cat...)

It's a touching story. Short, and definitely worth reading. The ending is left open, leaving us on the suggestion that Hazel and Liepard might take on a journey of their own. If there's ever a follow on, I'll be sure to read it!

Review by Delirious Absol

With so many delicious one-shots published last season, it was a real challenge pinning one down to add to our menu this time. But The Evening Thief caught my attention by taking its relatively simple yuletide prompt (a PMD outlaw hunt) and going all-out with it. The story opens on Furik the Furret, the self-described adventurer extraordinaire who is all-too eager to leave the walled city he’s staying at on his journey out west. But before he can leave, his attention is caught by a rather desperate mission to capture a thieving Mightyena, and he finds himself sticking around to help out—what else would a proper adventurer do, anyway? What sets this story apart are Furik’s upbeat and colorful observations of the world around him and his interactions with the rest of the cast, especially the precocious and spirited Hua the Fomantis. Their back-and-forth banter alone is a lot of fun, but the story kicks up another notch when the eponymous thief makes her arrival, and Furik realizes that his current skills will need more refining before he’s able to apprehend her. With great dialogue, snappy chase scenes and the tantalizing hint of a larger world with bigger events that our hero is not quite ready for, The Evening Thief is sure to grab your attention and leave you wanting more—and you can read more of Furik’s adventures by checking out JFought’s other works as well!

Review by Chibi Pika

Yuletide's long past, but if you feel like you could use a little holiday spirit, "Deli's Delivery Service" might be the perfect present for yourself. The star of the show is Deli, a lovable but drastically out-of-shape Delibird with a part-time job as a postmon. His trainer, Perry, is something of a slacker, but he and Deli obviously care for one another; if you like stories that focus on trainer/Pokémon friendships, this is definitely one worth checking out. When a surprise call comes in summoning Deli to deliver Yuletide gifts for the overworked post office, he does his reluctant best to get his delivery in on time.

What ensues is an adventure across Lumiose City, one in which Deli has to brave his cranky boss, Pokémon intent on stealing his packages, and the ghosts of too many Poképellets past to make his delivery. Despite his lazy personality, Deli is an easy Pokémon to like, with plenty of determination to go around when he knows people are counting on him. His travails are littered with colorful characters and delivered with a gentle humor that makes this story a wonderfully relaxing read--just the thing if you're in the mood for some holiday cheer, whatever the season.

Review by Negrek

That wraps it up for our Spring Serving! I hope you all are suitably sated with this selection. If you are interested in helping with June's Summer Serving, please drop me a line! We are still yet to find someone knowledgeable in the 'Non-Pokemon 'Fics' category.

Thanks for reading! =D

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Oh man, it looks like I missed this when you first posted it! I guess I've been a little busy recently. But this is a great selection -- I think I've read most of these, but there are definitely some here that have slipped past me, and which I'll clearly have to catch up on now. Of the ones I have read, they all seem really deserving, and it's great to see them getting a bit of a shout-out here!