• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Delta Episode Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet Tactician

Lazy, But Here
I really liked his added background presence as well. Not just the tree (Although that eternal flower at the base is a very nice touch. Side-note, but did anyone else check out the tree before you go into the Cave of Origin? It's completely barren - the build-up of energy that causes the aberrant weather to disperse seems to have juiced it up with life.), but in Zinnia's recounting of Hoenn's history as well. It makes perfect sense to use a character like him in that situation, as he is indeed old enough to have been around for some of Kyogre and Groudon's conflicts.

Also, there's the Project AZOTH thing. We learned in XY that AZ's name comes from "'A' meaning 'beginning'" and "'Z' meaning 'end,'" and in ORAS, a Team Aqua/Magma grunt calls back to that when they explain the meaning of "AZOTH" - A for beginning, Z for end. Although they didn't know what the O, T, and H stood for. :p
I didn't notice that. I'll have to watch closely when I do my AS run.

And I brought that up earlier (either here or in the general character thread). Azoth has a meaning, but I'm blanking out on it.

Akashin

I didn't notice that. I'll have to watch closely when I do my AS run.

And I brought that up earlier (either here or in the general character thread). Azoth has a meaning, but I'm blanking out on it.

My knowledge extends no further than a bit of searching I did when the name came up during my playthrough, but this page gives a pretty good idea, and given the shared themes I'm willing to believe that this is more or less where the reference is meant to lie.

Dr. MECha

Prof. of Pokeology
People are taking what Zinnia says far too literally. The aesthetic implication (and I suspect eventually more than that, once we get Hoopa and it starts interacting with the region) is simply that Hoopa is grabbing these Legendaries from other regions and sending them through the black holes. It's the simplest answer and makes sense just fine without bringing the "other universe" hubbub into things.

Personally, I think the whole multiverse thing is another jab on the fact that you can bring a Pokemon from a 3rd gen game over to the current one, especially in regard to Ruby and Sapphire. The first one is by showing a 3rd gen monster to Masuda in Lilycove hotel, and he reward you with a poster to hang on your Secret Base Wall.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Personally, I think the whole multiverse thing is another jab on the fact that you can bring a Pokemon from a 3rd gen game over to the current one, especially in regard to Ruby and Sapphire. The first one is by showing a 3rd gen monster to Masuda in Lilycove hotel, and he reward you with a poster to hang on your Secret Base Wall.

While it is certainly not as revolutionary as some make it out to be (nor as groundbreaking, since BW already touched on the subject of a Pokémon multiverse somewhat with the Black City/White Forest mechanic, the aesthetic and cultural differences between the games, and the Cell Battery subplot in Opelucid City), and is not meant to explain every minute discontinuity or oddity in the franchise, it is still a fairly important plot point - it is why Zinnia discourages the Space Center crew from using the Link Cable to warp away the meteor, and it ties into the plot of XY as well by elaborating that the reason why we never saw Mega Evolution in earlier games was because the war in Kalos never happened there, which verifies that it was indeed most likely that AZ's weapon gave rise to Mega Evolution and Infinity Energy, which have accelerated this universe's technological growth (which is, in turn, the exact sort of meta-reference that you are talking about, since that aspect of it is essentially just highlighting the fact that the 3DS is more powerful than the GBA). But it's not just a reference.

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
Ughh, killed Deoxys...I didn't want to I wanted to use another ball but I hit the wrong button. I had him down to 1 HP too and most of his PP for the moves were gone as well, he was powerless!!

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
Good then I can go back for it and Primal Kyogre with my Timer Balls then...always works for me. I can outlast them (Hyper Potions, Revival Herbs, Ethers and Elixers FTW), let them use up all the PP for their moves then have nothing left to hit me back with. Easy catches.

ebevan91

Can I let Rayquaza beat me (or fly away) so I can go to the PC to withdraw something? I know if you beat Rayquaza it just respawns. I don't have the game on right now so I can't check.

Graz

I liked how Steven mentioned a young man with a black Charizard facing off Rayquaza. Basically making Pokemon Origins canon to the games.

Akashin

I liked how Steven mentioned a young man with a black Charizard facing off Rayquaza. Basically making Pokemon Origins canon to the games.

I must have totally missed this. Where/when did he say it?

And wouldn't a kid with a black Charizard facing Rayquaza be a reference to the Mega Evolution Specials rather than Origins?

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

He says that when presented with the Shiny Beldum, and it is actually a reference to Mega Evolution Special: Act II, in which Steven, using a Shiny Metagross, fights alongside Alain (who uses a Mega Charizard X) against Mega Rayquaza.

And no, it does not mean that the Mega Evolution Specials are canonical to the games. For one thing, that would consequently mean that the entire anime is canonical to the games, as MES Act I mentions Ash dealing with the Garchomp in Lumiose City, and for two, it is, at most, just an affectionate little nod anyway. If anything, it only canonizes Alain as a person that exists in the game universe, but even that's stretching it. It's not like they haven't referenced other continuities in the games before. DPP featured Trainers from the Jirachi and Deoxys films, while BW mentioned Zoroark's feud with the Shiny Beast Trio from the Zoroark film. But those were really nothing more than easter eggs for the people who watched those movies.

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
I thought that reference to Alain was cool too, made me smile.

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!
Alain mention? That's pretty neat! :D I never carried the Shiny Beldum with me, but it's nice to know it has a little Easter egg coming with it whenever you speak to certain characters!

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
Yeah, I had it with me when I went to see Steven's father. He called it the rare white specimen when he got the exclamation point above his head when he saw it in my party. I like it, he's a tank and is very useful in the fight against Deoxys. Minimal damage to Metagross by Deoxys' Hyper Beam and Psycho Boost/cut thing. Then he uses Cosmic Power and Recover. I wait until I know the PP for all the moves is gone then annihilate Deoxys. Metagross knows Shadow Ball. ^_^

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
Scientist at the space center: "The rocket was launched safely! That's successful launch No. 1!"

...wait. You had literally only fired off one rocket beforehand (if any), yet you were planning on sending one at the last minute to try to deflect an asteroid?! A rocket full of energy that would end the world if detonated improperly, and you had only successfully launched one rocket before?! No wonder Zinnia thought your plan sucked!

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Scientist at the space center: "The rocket was launched safely! That's successful launch No. 1!"

...wait. You had literally only fired off one rocket beforehand (if any), yet you were planning on sending one at the last minute to try to deflect an asteroid?! A rocket full of energy that would end the world if detonated improperly, and you had only successfully launched one rocket before?! No wonder Zinnia thought your plan sucked!

And yet they suddenly want to jump right in to space travel...and ask Tate and Liza for it, even though they're as young as Wally is and they're far more concerned in buying toys at Lilycove Dept. Store.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor

I'm guessing it's like the original RS where they launch a rocket a week.

And yet they suddenly want to jump right in to space travel...and ask Tate and Liza for it, even though they're as young as Wally is and they're far more concerned in buying toys at Lilycove Dept. Store.

Space colonization is a marathon, not a sprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.