• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Delta Species vs. Alolan Variants - A Battle of Regional Variant Concepts!

Which is your favorite regional variant concept?

• Alolan Variants

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Delta Species

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
This is a battle between the two most conceptualized regional variants out there, Alolan Variants and Delta Species Pokemon! In terms of concepts, selection of Pokemon, physical differences, background and lore, who do you think has the better concept!

What are Alolan Variants/Forms?
I feel this needs no introduction but if you don't know what these are, they are basically Pokemon from other regions, in this case just Kanto, who have undergone changes based on the surrounding environment of Alola. Most of it are from the natural environment of Alola but a few stand out as unique for being affected by human influence, such as Raichu being an Alolan Variant because of pancakes (yes pancakes) and Meowth undergoing changes because of the royal's pampering of the species.

What are Delta Species?
So what's interesting about Delta Species is that they are nothing like the idea of Alolan Variants, introduced species that have undergone natural changes from a different environment. Instead, Delta Species are native Pokemon that have undergone unnatural changes caused by human science unintentionally tampering with the Holon region's original environment. Yes! That's right. All Delta Species are caused mainly by human factors. More specifically electromagnetic waves coming from the researcher's towers causing electromagnetic storms that have altered many Pokemon's biology of the Holon Region. Basically Delta Species are Pokemon with typings, moves and abilities altered by man-made science. The funny thing is however is that most of these Pokemon don't seem to mind these changes, continuing their life in the wild as normal.

Currently all of the Alolan Variant Pokemon
026-a.png
038-a.png
028-a.png
051-a.png
076-a.png
105-a.png
020-a.png
053-a.png
089-a.png
103-a.png

A few selection of Delta Species Pokemon - Click here for all of the Delta Species Pokemon.
4.jpg
12.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
11.jpg

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I never saw these cards before. It's odd seeing a water type Togetic.
I did. As a kid who loved artwork, I was amazed by this new artwork featuring not only strangely=glowed Pokemon but what appeared to be an entirely new region in the background. Have you ever asked yourself as a kid in unreachable areas in Pokemon or concept art that never got adapted into the game, what is out there?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I think Delta Species are more interesting. Alola Forms are mostly hit & miss for me as they're exclusive to Kanto Pokémon, most lack a intriguing ways to adapt, and they barely change in terms of stats.

Goddess Yami

Happy Go Lucky
I like both really. Both cases are realistic. Our animals always adapt to their environment either by natural or human causes. GF dropped the ball with alolan forms. They should have expanded it out to other generations. Especially gen 2! I mean come on GF! Gen 1 and gen 2 go hand and hand with each other. USUM should have gotten new forms.

I would like to see delta forms being used in the games. I had no idea these cards existed. I only recently started collecting the cards again.

M.P.

Retired
I do like them both, and both of them are really interesting concepts.

I really liked how Alolan forms gave us new designs of old Pokemon (without making them some of them overpowered like Megas did), but I also feel they were underutilised, seeing as there were only few of them and they were Kanto-exclusive. I also feel there should've been more type variety among them: only half of the types were used (thought this is partially because the small amount of Alolan forms), and most Alolan forms' primary type remained unchanged.

Meanwhile, I feel quite nostalgic towards Delta Species, as I started collecting Pokemon cards during the "Delta Species-era" (and continued until the early Platinum era). I remember being really surprised and excited when I got the likes of Fire-type Horsea and Dark-type Meowth from the booster: It was something I had never seen in the Pokemon series before. I honestly wouldn't mind if they used the concept in the games, though I don't think it'll happen, especially after Alolan forms were added.

So, I think I prefer Delta Species slightly more.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I like delta species, I thought it was the best part of the card game,but overall Aloan forms are much better because of their beautiful new designs.