• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Demographics of the Pokémon anime

So of course the anime is watched more by kids no matter how serious it gets currently. But I was wondering, say in percentages, what do you guys think the demographics of the Pokémon anime is? I did find a couple articles saying that college students in Japan were watching Pokémon XYZ, and the internet community is of course much older than I guess the general population of people watching the show.

I’m guessing from what I’ve read and seen at least, XY/XYZ probably had the highest older viewing audience

But I guess overall it would be a lot more geared to the younger audience

0-12
13-19
20+

Just a couple of groupings I made up on the spot. Feel free to make your own grouping and guess the percentages.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I guess it depends on where (and also if legally or illegally)

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I would assume the people sending death threats to the "BW writers" and burning their memorabilia after Ash-Greninja lost were most likely long-term viewers.

Also, bootlegging. Hard to pinpoint demographics other than the target.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I believe core demographics of anime is 7-12/13 yearrs, but for XY and to somewhat DP series, it was 12/13-15/16 years similar to yugioh series given there dark nature and mature contents.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Of course, the target audience is kids, but I’ve always been doubtful that kids make up the majority of the actual audience. Of course I don’t have numbers, but I’ve always felt somewhat confident that at least 80 percent of viewers were 14 or older, and that they continue to target kids because they, for whatever reason, just won’t have it any other way.

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
The target demographic is Kids but it's also enjoyed by Teenagers and Adults as well (I'd say the oldest person I've seen watching the Pokemon Anime regularly is around 30).

I always say that the best pieces of Children's Media (Films, TV, Videon Games ETC) teach valuable life lessons to the viewers in a way that Children can understand and can be enjoyed by both Children and Adults alike. I'm not too sure about the first point (most of the Morals are just basic stuff like "be nice and helpful to people" and "friendship is the solution to all problems") but I do definitely think that Pokemon falls into the secondary category.

Ashton Ketchum

I know, “Pokémon” is franchise oriented for kids, but every such long-running franchise should not forget about old fans who follow it to this day (which is now gradually recalled by “Power Rangers”). The story can be outwardly childish for a young audience, but it can also have interesting details and entertaining decisions, and balance between a childish and serious tone to attract a sophisticated adult audience. And if you do everything right, to gain momentum, you must promote the characters and reduce them to a powerful climax, then BOOM, two fanbases (children and adults) are combined! The kids are in awe, and the hardcore fans are smitten. Yes, and to the intelligence of children need respectful attitude.