• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Denno Coil (spoil0rz)

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Poop!

Yea, I'm pretty sure you've heard from HK about how awesome this anime is. Directed by Mitsuo Iso, made by Mad house, Denno coil is one of the most anticipated animes this year.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6278

I really liked the color theme of the anime, it is greyish but very light, and proves to be a nice change from the bright colors of other animes.

But the most important things I learned from the three episodes that are out so far:

Grandmother got uber micro!

Discuss.

Sounds like Tron

HK

Radiance of Shadows
A thread about Denno Coil from somebody not named HellKorn or Omega Pirate? Which means that somebody else is watching this masterpiece in-the-making?

Oh hellz yeah.

Kyoko is great. An immature little girl acting like an immature little girl instead of some cutesy moe crap or some type of genius who is aiding a country in a "war" (gah, one thing that really bugged the hell out of me in Gigantic Formula before I dropped it)? That's genius in anime.

Yea, I'm pretty sure you've heard from HK about how awesome this anime is.

lol hi guyz

Directed by Mitsuo Iso,

This guy is simply amazing. His credentials listed there don't even do him justice. I could go on about him, but I don't think that I could put it quite as well as Cloe can, and has, on ANN:

Cloe said:
First of all, Mitsuo Iso--who is he? Chances are you haven't heard of him before, but you're definitely familiar with his work. Iso is one of Japan's most talented key animators. He animated Kintaro trying to swim in Ep. 4 of Golden Boy, the climax from the first Ghost in the Shell film (Kusanagi fighting the tank), a scene from episode 19 of Evangelion (Unit 01 turns into a beastly creature and devours an angel) and the incredible Asuka vs. 9 white Evas fight in End of Evangelion, and some incredibly moving animation from the emotional climax in Junkers Come Here, among other amazing feats. Episode 15 of RahXephon, one of the series' best looking (and, in my opinion, most interesting) episodes, marked his directorial debut.

Actually, you can check out a montage of most of his major scenes here (ignore the pop music ;)). And here's another one. Oddly enough, both are missing the GITS tank sequence, which I consider one of his most significant KA scenes.

As an animator, this guy is godly. He's gone out of his way to recruit a lot of the best animators in Japan for this project, one that he has been planning -- get this -- four over a decade. If my memory is correct, he's been working on Denno Coil in some fashion for exactly fourteen years.

And as for some of the "best animators" that I talked about

Cloe said:
After his episode of RahXephon, Iso kind of disappeared from radar for a while and has re-emerged now, 5 years later, with his very own series in tow: Denno Coil. From an animator's perspective, this series is significant. It marks a collaboration of Japan's finest animators and ADs, and looks to be one of the most legitimately best-looking, if not the best, TV anime series ever produced. Staff credits besides Iso include animation "chiefs" Toshiyuki Inoue, called the "perfect animator" by Mamoru Oshii (KA on Jin-Roh, Kiki's Delivery Service, Akira, AD on Blue Submarine No. 6 and Blood: The Last Vampire) and Takeshi Honda (KA on Nadia, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Paranoia Agent, Windy Tales, Gankutsuou, etc).

The studio handling animation production is Madhouse, who I've warmed up to considerably in the past couple of months after seeing their involvement in Kemonozume and TokiKake. Animation directors will include Madhouse regulars Takeshi Honda (examples of work), Toshiyuki Inoue (examples of work), Ei Inoue, Kiyotaka Oshiyama, Masami Itatsu and others.

If you want to take at the source, here is the thread on ANN that she started. You can also note that I ripped off DKL's mentioned of Madhouse's ridiculously amazing abilities, as I note below.

I'm also reminded that I need to post again in that thread...

patrickstar said:
made by Mad house,

Whose production values are great, and their output is unlike any other anime studio. In the past few years they've put out an insane amount of series and movies, and even if they're meant for mainstream success (Death Note, Paprika, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time) or aimed at a niche audience (Texhnolyze, Kemonozume) they've all looked utterly fantastic.

Denno coil is one of the most anticipated animes this year.

By the incredibly few who've taken notice of it. :p Really, it's been overshadowed by so many other series this season (Claymore and Romeo x Juliet, to name a couple) that it's such a damn shame that it isn't being given more attention. Even with just having watched the three subbed episodes, I declare this thing to be front runner of anime of the year, and the best anime in years. Art is simplistic, very Ghibli-like with its detailed yet down-to-earth feel. It has the best animation of any anime television series. Ever. The characters are so lovable and realistic that it's hard not to grow fond of them. And the story and setting... holy crap, not since Paranoia Agent in 2004 have we had an anime series as imaginative, original, and fresh as this. It's incredibly intricate. Whatever Iso came up with in those fourteen years is well, well worth it.

As I said in another thread:

If the animation doesn't let up in episode four (it's usually a point where quality starts to take a dive on movement and detail of said movement), then I'll declare Denno Coil to be godly, the anime television series to feature THE GREATEST ANIMATION EVAR, and that you're a failure as an anime fan if you aren't watching it and have the capabilities to do so.

Bolded, underlined, and increased the size for emphasis.

patrickstar said:
But the most important things I learned from the three episodes that are out so far:

Grandmother got uber micro!

Granny is the best human character in Denno Coil. She's second to Densuke for being the best character in the series... dare I say all year.

Sounds like Tron

That came out of nowhere.

Seriously, check this out.

Catalyst

Aim for the Top.
I'm apparently "watching it" right now. Watched the first episode a week ago, it's alright, a late starter this season it seems, but it's actually not half bad, I quite enjoyed it actually, I'll see how much further it develops before I can voice my opinion. D:

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Sounds like Tron

I never really thought about that until now, but it really does!

A thread about Denno Coil from somebody not named HellKorn or Omega Pirate? Which means that somebody else is watching this masterpiece in-the-making?

Oh hellz yeah.

Do I get a HK Seal of Kool?

Kyoko is great. An immature little girl acting like an immature little girl instead of some cutesy moe crap or some type of genius who is aiding a country in a "war" (gah, one thing that really bugged the hell out of me in Gigantic Formula before I dropped it)? That's genius in anime.

Seconded. The personalities of young children have been distorted to a scary level by animes.

Granny is the best human character in Denno Coil. She's second to Densuke for being the best character in the series... dare I say all year.

The
scene where those little furballs rolls into a room, then only finding Granny hiding in the toilet really cracked me up

Omega Pirate

shove it up ya bum!
Wait...Densuke over Oyaji!?

My favourite human character is absolutely a tie between Yuko (the Amazawa version) and Granny. Yuko because of her extreme mysterious, badass-ness and Megabaa because she's...Megabaa.

btw, HellKorn, I want to die for not realising earlier, but Oyaji orgy = old man orgy :( :( :( :(

I get the horrible feeling that the fourth episode is out and I haven't seen it.

Edit: Okay, so it is. And according to a blog I read the excellent quality stays. I guess this makes this THE GREATEST ANIMATION EVAR?

Last edited:

HK

Radiance of Shadows
I'm too lazy to check it out.

Somehow this statement contradicts... something...

You also gave a "meh" in regards to the very excellent Guardian of the Sacred Spirit/Seirei no Moribito.

Eh, your loss if that's really the case.

Do I get a HK Seal of Kool?

You enjoyed/liked/loved/worship FLCL and Texhnolyze as well, right?

You get it tattooed on your f'in back.

Oh, and to do spoiler tags with the "Insert title" crap, just put with the *.

Wait...Densuke over Oyaji!?

Yep. I'm a cat person, but I've really taken to the cyber pup. He has no lines, but his actions and whimpers are just so telling of his character that I it's impossible for me to not like him. Plus, I've really taken to the ending theme (probably one of my top five favorites in anime), and that final line sung while he's looking straight up, "The path goes on, and binds us together," really brings out that good-feel emotion in me that rarely comes out when watching/reading any kind of entertainment.

My favourite human character is absolutely a tie between Yuko (the Amazawa version) and Granny. Yuko because of her extreme mysterious, badass-ness and Megabaa because she's...Megabaa.

I take it you mean Isako, and not Yasako, right? Two Yukos, don'tcha know. :p

I've taken to all of the cast, really.

btw, HellKorn, I want to die for not realising earlier, but Oyaji orgy = old man orgy :( :( :( :(

Took ya long enough to catch on.

I get the horrible feeling that the fourth episode is out and I haven't seen it.

Edit: Okay, so it is. And according to a blog I read the excellent quality stays. I guess this makes this THE GREATEST ANIMATION EVAR?

Yep. I've seen it myself as it has been subbed, and it reveals a bit more about Isako, who also makes an insight on Yasako's character. But that whole bit about a potential plot shaping up is put on the backburner as a crazy war plays out between Daichi's group and Isako, with Yasako and Fumie caught in-between. It's one of the most entertaining individual episodes that I've seen in a while.

The animation hasn't faltered at all. It's stunning. I can't wrap my head around it that there hasn't been any dips in quality so far, and if continues like this for the remaining twenty-two episodes... lawd, I don't quite know what I'll think.

Oh, and the preview took me a bit by surprise. I'm sure that you'll know what I mean when you watch it.

Somehow this statement contradicts... something...

You also gave a "meh" in regards to the very excellent Guardian of the Sacred Spirit/Seirei no Moribito.

Eh, your loss if that's really the case.
Actually, shortly after I posted that, I downloaded and watch the first 3 episodes of DC, lol. I've also downloaded the first 3 episodes of Guardian, but I've yet to watch them.

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Actually, shortly after I posted that, I downloaded and watch the first 3 episodes of DC, lol.

Care to give us your thoughts?

You enjoyed/liked/loved/worship FLCL and Texhnolyze as well, right?

Saw both, loved both. Still shocked by the ending of Texhnolyze though.

You get it tattooed on your f'in back.

Huzzah.

I just saw Epsd. 4. Again, the animation just blew my tiny mind.

Thought 1: Spam attack = win.

Thought 2: Amasawa is turning out to be a b@D*** - nerd! (a combination I never thought was possible before).

Last edited:

Chaozaru

Watched a couple episodes and I definitely plan to watch more once I have school out of the way, love the show so far. The old lady is awesome.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Actually, shortly after I posted that, I downloaded and watch the first 3 episodes of DC, lol. I've also downloaded the first 3 episodes of Guardian, but I've yet to watch them.

We all win.

Thought 1: Spam attack = win.

Which makes sense, actually... I wonder if there's such a thing as a "pop-up blocker" in Denno Coil?

Thought 2: Amasawa is turning out to be a b@D*** - nerd! (a combination I never thought was possible before).

I take it you've never heard of this?

Not quite sure how Isako qualifies for being a nerd, either.

Densuke is now one of my favorite anime characters.

Awesome.

There seems to be a lot of lolis.

But non-sexualized lolis. Along with non-sexualized little boys. Is that possible in anime? Answer: Denno Coil is above what constitutes as "anime."

The mojo are constructed from pure unadulterated evil voodoo magic.

They reminded me something out of Ghibli.

Omega Pirate

shove it up ya bum!
I take it you mean Isako, and not Yasako, right? Two Yukos, don'tcha know. :p

Yeah, that's what I meant by 'Amazawa version'.

Took ya long enough to catch on.

Heh, didn't actually realise until I watched the first 3 episodes over. 4 times.

Just about to download the fourth. I know I'm disgustingly late, but I've been extremely busy since my last post, and haven't been on the computer longer than 10 minutes.

I plan on pulling an all-nighter to catch up on everything. Oh yes, I'm just that dedicated.

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Just finished episode 5. Again, beautiful animation and art. Things gets very interesting, especially the metabug hunt and[spoil=Spoilers]Amazawa taking over the hacker club[/spoil]

Omega Pirate

shove it up ya bum!
Just watched 5, also. In a bit of a hurry, (once again, my time on the computer is slowly being devoured by what some might call...things) but it was, as I expected, brilliance.

Except...what's up with that highly over-detailed, yellow and blue mouse?