• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Descisions

Amoeba

Hi. I'd like to sign up to an RPG, but none of the currently running ones are to my taste. I mean, they're good, but I'm not sure if I could follow some of them since a lot are based off games/stories I've never heard of. So I thought I'd give making my own a try. And I had a good idea:

See, I started, on a whim, writing a pokemon fanfic which is turning out to have some foundation structures for a proper story. Now, I'm not sure I planned to go anywhere with it, but if I were to start uppon this idea, as an RPG instead, do you think this would ruin the fanfic? Or vice versa: If I were to write the fanfic, do you think it could ruin the chances of it being a good RPG because if spoilers?

I think it could be easy to do. It's got a simple starting area, and aventure and a goal for the characters to reach. It has some searching, and will no doubt have room for twists. You see though I was really enjoying writing the story, do you think I could do both? Or even base the fanfic off the RPG and how it develops?

ashkid1993

Erm......it'd be hard, in my opinion. This is because, in any good rpg, the GM should wan't the rpers to have a bit of wiggle room; to twist, and to turn. Now the ending goal is the same, but the interesting part is how it is reached; making a fanfic may destroy the rp, as not only would it make spoilers, but rpers would be a bit more confined, and even if you tell them to do what they want, they still may feel like they have to stick to your basic story line. As well, the fic would be uninteresting as many would already know what big surprises there are. If you make the rp first, and then perhaps have other characters going through a different such struggle, and being affected by the rpers actions. If you really would like to be bold, you could write the fic WHILE writing the rp, and try to make what things happen in the rp happen to the characters in your fic. Just my idea.

Amoeba

Erm......it'd be hard, in my opinion. This is because, in any good rpg, the GM should wan't the rpers to have a bit of wiggle room; to twist, and to turn. Now the ending goal is the same, but the interesting part is how it is reached; making a fanfic may destroy the rp, as not only would it make spoilers, but rpers would be a bit more confined, and even if you tell them to do what they want, they still may feel like they have to stick to your basic story line. As well, the fic would be uninteresting as many would already know what big surprises there are. If you make the rp first, and then perhaps have other characters going through a different such struggle, and being affected by the rpers actions. If you really would like to be bold, you could write the fic WHILE writing the rp, and try to make what things happen in the rp happen to the characters in your fic. Just my idea.

Hmm... I like your input. I think I kind of was swaying toward the RPG first, fic later reading that... I could even use the opening chapter as the intro, well, before the main character comes in to play. If it's good enough that is. I'll wait a bit longer.