1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Design: Pokémon vs. Digimon

Discussion in 'Poképolls' started by Morton Belgram, Jul 12, 2018 at 11:05 PM.

1. Morton Belgram

Morton Belgram Well-Known Member

Simple as Pokémon, detailed as Digimon? Cute as Pokémon, grotesque as Digimon? Which do you prefer? Below are just some examples in one picture that I found on a Digimon message board comparing the designs.
    [​IMG]

2. AuroraBeam

AuroraBeam Well-Known Member

I like both of them. Some I prefer Pokemon's interpretation while with other's, Digimon's designs are more appealing. Also while most pokemon I either like their design or am neutral towards; the amount of Pokemon designs that I actively dislike I could probably count on one hand after going through the list. Digimon on the other hand has a lot of love-it-or-hate-it designs with really cool, neat ones alongside several I find unappealing.

But I also understand that some digimon are intentionally ugly/grotesque while with pokemon, even the ones that are suppose to be ugly/drab in-universe still have some kind of charming factor about them.

3. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Well-Known Member

I like both, for different reasons. The one thing I don't like abotu Digimon is how nonsensical their evolutions are sometimes (so a white cat just transformed into an angel lady?)
    Pokemon designs can be very bland (Seel and Crabby in your examples) while digimon designs can suffer from having waaaay to much going on (none of the ones you show, imho) and with the copious amounts of leather, latex and chains some digimon are wearing I'm sometimes wondering whether one or more of the designers tried to express a personal fetish they have/had at the time.

Both have their appeal, both have their problems and both are good.
    If Digimon had some games that were actually playable, I would do so.

Kage-Pikachu and Trainer Yusuf like this.
  4. Morton Belgram

Morton Belgram Well-Known Member

Most Digimon games kinda sucks, yeah, but I think Digimon World DS and Digimon World Championship were quite playable games.

I also fought through both Digimon World 1 and Digimon World 3. Very flawed games, but I really liked them because of their fascinating worlds.
    Digimon World 2 was just horrible, I never played through that one... So slow.

5. Weavy

Weavy Usually silent

Oh this topic...

First off, I would like to mention that I am not a fan of the phrase " This Pokémon looks like a Digimon". Personally I think most Pokémon don't come close to looking like Digimon, even the most complex ones. It's usually used as an excuse to say they don't like the Pokémon; people should just say they don't like the Pokémon.

Next, I am in agreement with people here that both series has their fair share of awesome designs and total stinkers, however design is subjective and this applies to both Pokémon and Digimon; what might not appeal to someone may appeal to someone else. Pokémon tends to favour natural designs while Digimon tend to have a lot of weapons.

Also, I honestly think the Digimon games have got better these days, though that's probably just me. I rather enjoyed Cyber Sleuth/Hacker's Memory and while the older ones have a ton of issues (Grinding in particular was outright painful) I at least got some fun out of them (For the most part). But the Pokémon games tend to be better which is something I agree with.

Personally, from the example, MarineAngemon has a lot more in common with Phione/Manaphy rather than Mew, as Phione/Manaphy and MarineAngemon are based on the same thing, sea angels and they both are water based monsters. The only thing MarineAngemon and Mew have in common is that they're pink, that's it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018 at 10:17 PM
    BCVM22 likes this.
  6. Kage-Pikachu

Kage-Pikachu Well-Known Member

And an attractive one at that, when I was a kid I was like what the heck?! Same for Angemon, a human-shaped angel from a whatever the heck its pre-evolution was named...

7. Emperor Empoleon

Emperor Empoleon Honor of Kalos

I do appreciate Pokemon's comparatively simpler philosophy, because it makes the overall world feel a bit more...Welcoming, I suppose?

But I also tend to like more intricacy with design in general. So Digimon definitely has a way of leaving an impression on me that Pokemon often doesn't (especially with heroic figures, like Dukemon or Imperialdramon). And in fact, some of favorite Pokemon designs happen to be more recent ones like Zygarde Complete, Lunala, various Mega Evolutions, and others that have been called out as "over-designed" or "like Digimon" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018 at 8:56 AM