• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Destiny

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Decided to rent this game for a few days and try it out.

I played the Beta, but back then it seemed kind of Boring. I had beaten the beta 3 times, once with each class. Took me about 2 hours per character to reach max level.

So far I'm still unsure if i like the game. Bounties and Crucible are fun, but they make me overleveled for the story missions. The Overleveling makes me not want to do them, which bothers me.

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Don't look here.
The game is fantastic. Do not listen to reviews because the game will keep on being supported with new content. Bungie said reviews may not be indicative of what they really made.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
doesnt help that i was stuck with level 2 leg armor for 3 levels. the one place i know to buy armor was selling leg armor, but it either weaker than mine or at level 6.

That and the decrypter wasnt selling leg armor either.

wasnt until i found a gold chest at level 5 that i got better armor.

Edit: Turns out it was just a normal gray chest that spawned randomly, not a Gold Chest.

Last edited:

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
Love the game so far but some of the bosses just take too long to kill. I like the challenge but shooting some non-moving mecha robot thingy for 10-15 minutes straight gets pretty boring.

Dan The Poke Man

MEGAMEGAMEGA
I have it pre-ordered but a day or two ago my parents' cars' engines got flooded and we can't get anywhere. All my friends are saying this game is fun as hell and I'm missing out.

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
The game is fantastic. Do not listen to reviews because the game will keep on being supported with new content. Bungie said reviews may not be indicative of what they really made.

Whatever new content they plan won't change the fact that the story is so shallow that a middle-school student could've written it. I'm enjoying the game and I'd like Bungie to prove me wrong but I suspect the planned content will feature more terrible writing, repetitive missions, and bullet-sponge bosses.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
My first character got over leveled from the Crucible so i Deleted her.

I dont want to get over leveled, but i also dont want to avoid bountys and Crucibles.

I'm Debating creating one character for Story only, and one that will do Both. I'm unsure though.

Last edited:

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior

I dont want to get over leveled, but i also dont want to avoid bountys and Crucibles.

I'm Debating creating one character for Story only, and one that will do Both. I'm unsure though.

You know you can turn the difficulty up on story missions right?

Apparently the Glimmer caps at 25000. So spend it on ships I guess. Also I managed to get an Exotic Weapon Bounty. They have multiple steps towards completing them and the one I'm on is completing 25 Strikes.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
You know you can turn the difficulty up on story missions right?

Didnt occur to me when i deleted my Character. Maybe that leaves me with just one character after all.

Whats the opinion on giving a hunter a Shotgun? That about my only problem with them, since i suck with sniper rifles.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I just hit level 20 last night with my hunter. I'm having no luck getting light armor drops though. I'm mostly been doing bounties, patrol missions, strike missions and I play the crucible. I created a titan the other day, I plan on leveling him right on up here soon.

Whats the opinion on giving a hunter a Shotgun? That about my only problem with them, since i suck with sniper rifles.

I use shotguns with my hunter sometimes. I mostly stick to my auto or pulse rifles as my primary, and I use my sniper as my secondary because I love sniping. I do however switch over to shotguns as my secondary weapon sometimes. I don't mind using them when I get way too up close and personal with enemies.

Last edited:

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior

I play Hunter and use the shotgun 90% of the time. In PvE it's only kind of useful but in the Crucible it's a godsend.

Dwlr

Banned
Whatever new content they plan won't change the fact that the story is so shallow that a middle-school student could've written it. I'm enjoying the game and I'd like Bungie to prove me wrong but I suspect the planned content will feature more terrible writing, repetitive missions, and bullet-sponge bosses.

You've obviously never played an MMO, they're full of fetch quests and bosses that take forever to kill too. If you want a story it's really pretty similar to Defiance so watch that instead, but you knew what you were getting into when you bought the game, they didn't try to hide the nature of it at all.

Over-leveling won't do much in terms of affecting the game, you're more durable and your powers do more, but unless you keep up with the increasing demand for higher stats it can end up hindering yourself. Weapons say a level 12 scout rifle vs a level 3 scout rifle will do roughly the same damage since the damage caps based on weapon type. I.e if you go to the first mission with a level 10 character a headshot on the Vandals there will do 199 damage and 67 (I think on a body shot) which means that it will still require a 2 shot kill to kill a Vandal whilst a Dreg will be one-Shot Killed if it's a head shot and the Shanks will be one-shot killed as well, so really the only difference is the things that effect you directly like defense, the powers, and melee damage so you shouldn't stress too much about being over-leveled, the low level enemies can still kill you it's not as if you become nigh invulnerable to anything below your level like some games.

You only get a maximum of 3 character slots and once you hit the max level (ignoring light) you're ending on the same thing anyway so you don't have to view one character as story only and having the mind-set that level significantly matters keeps you from having the various characters in PvE sometimes you might want to play a support role and you're not going to get that with a Hunter for example so you'd have to be flexible with the roles. Like I said above being over-leveled doesn't effect too and doing bounties at all will make you over-leveled regardless so you'd have to make a bountiless, story mode, non-patroling character to really stay in check with the levels and then it can vary depending on if you want to play hard or normal mode, the third mission is level 6 on hard mode for instance so if you don't want to be under-leveled in terms of the enemies then it escalates fairly quickly. The first 3 missions are 3-4-6 on hard vs 2-3-4 on normal. The extra exp from hard means without grinding, on mission 3 you're level 4 so -2 levels from the enemies which I don't know about your personal skill level, but you might find it too difficult to be under leveled. *The Level 1 Psi Umbra from the Golden Chests is strong enough to work against level 6 enemies if you go that route and don't get anything you like better.

I use hand cannons generally so that's enough close range stopping power though I still wish they'd take off that heavy aim assist they have. I use snipers on my hunter, but if you're bad with them I'd probably take a fusion rifle it's a pretty decent balance between the two and for a close range weapon you can always go with a machine gun for your heavy and then keep long range with your primary rifle using a scout rifle or a pulse rifle. I'd say no to the shotgun on a hunter doubly so if you turn the hunter into a blade dancer sub class since your arc blades cover the extreme close range.

-Pulse Rifle *mid-long* (since I assume if you're bad with Sniper Rifles you'd be bad with Scout Rifles)
-Fusion Rifle *close-mid*
-Machine Gun *close*
You cover everything that way and some of the unique hunter perks increase stability on precision shots so I really view the hunter as requiring a gun that can feasibly get precision kills with their main weapon and the stability bonus really helps the pulse rifle the most since it's it's really the only weapon that fires more than one bullet at a time with decent accuracy, all the other precise weapons you can readjust your aim so the stability doesn't much come into play and the auto rifle isn't built for precision so whilst the stability would help if you take that perk it's not going to be active all that often doubly so considering the tendency for weak per bullet damage making getting the last shot to be a precision shot not all that effective. (You can burst it and maintain accuracy, but that goes against the reason you're using it really which is the spray and pray aim for mass and hope you hit something mindless combat)

*Even if you hate sniping the sniper rifle is a good boss killer weapon on the precision shots you're hard pressed to find a better damage ratio with any gun, so if you save it and treat it as your 'heavy' weapon instead of your special weapon you can maintain that damage for the various bosses and cut down the time spent on them pretty significantly. Machine guns can easily serve as your close range weapon which is what the shotgun would be for anyway.*

-Everything above is just for PvE-

Last edited:

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
I play Hunter and use the shotgun 90% of the time. In PvE it's only kind of useful but in the Crucible it's a godsend.

I have noticed that Shotguns are basically OHKO's in the Crucible. they only take 2 hits if the target is far enough away.

Over-leveling won't do much in terms of affecting the game, you're more durable and your powers do more, but unless you keep up with the increasing demand for higher stats it can end up hindering yourself. Weapons say a level 12 scout rifle vs a level 3 scout rifle will do roughly the same damage since the damage caps based on weapon type. I.e if you go to the first mission with a level 10 character a headshot on the Vandals there will do 199 damage and 67 (I think on a body shot) which means that it will still require a 2 shot kill to kill a Vandal whilst a Dreg will be one-Shot Killed if it's a head shot and the Shanks will be one-shot killed as well, so really the only difference is the things that effect you directly like defense, the powers, and melee damage so you shouldn't stress too much about being over-leveled, the low level enemies can still kill you it's not as if you become nigh invulnerable to anything below your level like some games.

You only get a maximum of 3 character slots and once you hit the max level (ignoring light) you're ending on the same thing anyway so you don't have to view one character as story only and having the mind-set that level significantly matters keeps you from having the various characters in PvE sometimes you might want to play a support role and you're not going to get that with a Hunter for example so you'd have to be flexible with the roles. Like I said above being over-leveled doesn't effect too and doing bounties at all will make you over-leveled regardless so you'd have to make a bountiless, story mode, non-patroling character to really stay in check with the levels and then it can vary depending on if you want to play hard or normal mode, the third mission is level 6 on hard mode for instance so if you don't want to be under-leveled in terms of the enemies then it escalates fairly quickly. The first 3 missions are 3-4-6 on hard vs 2-3-4 on normal. The extra exp means without grinding on mission 3 you're level 4.

As i have said, it didnt occur to me that level made that little of a difference. I have learned that i can have only one character to do everything. Upping the Difficuly on Missions, if i feel like it.

I use hand cannons generally so that's enough close range stopping power though I still wish they'd take off that heavy aim assist they have. I use snipers on my hunter, but if you're bad with them I'd probably take a fusion rifle it's a pretty decent balance between the two and for a close range weapon you can always go with a machine gun for your heavy and then keep long range with your primary rifle using a scout rifle or a pulse rifle. I'd say no to the shotgun on a hunter doubly so if you turn the hunter into a blade dancer sub class since your arc blades cover the extreme close range.

-Pulse Rifle *mid-long* (since I assume if you're bad with Sniper Rifles you'd be bad with Scout Rifles)
-Fusion Rifle *close-mid*
-Machine Gun *close*

Since i was using an auto Rifle on my Hunter, it never occured to me to use a Machine Gun. I always assumed it had just as much range as an LMG/assult Rifle, so why bother.

I did think Shotguns would be better suited for the blade dancer though. Get in close with a shotgun, then if things go bad slice them up with the Arc Blade.

*Even if you hate sniping the sniper rifle is a good boss killer weapon on the precision shots you're hard pressed to find a better damage ratio with any gun, so if you save it and treat it as your 'heavy' weapon instead of your special weapon you can maintain that damage for the various bosses and cut down the time spent on them pretty significantly. Machine guns can easily serve as your close range weapon which is what the shotgun would be for anyway.*

-Everything above is just for PvE-

That is essentially what i used my Sniper for. i used my Rocket Launcher as more of a secondary and saved the sniper for headshots on Bosses.

For The Crucible, i still think Auto Rifle and Shotgun all the way. From my experience that seems the easiest way to get kills no matter what class I use.

Last edited:

Dwlr

Banned
Since i was using an auto Rifle on my Hunter, it never occured to me to use a Machine Gun. I always assumed it had just as much range as an LMG/assult Rifle, so why bother.

I did think Shotguns would be better suited for the blade dancer though. Get in close with a shotgun, then if things go bad slice them up with the Arc Blade.

That is essentially what i used my Sniper for. i used my Rocket Launcher as more of a secondary and saved the sniper for headshots on Bosses.

Inside the auto rifle category there are some pretty heavy variations compared to the other categories. The Machine Gun is an LMG, the auto rifle is more akin to a SMG than an assault rifle where the pulse rifle is more the assault rifle. There are machine guns with as low as 24 bullets that have high damage and range, but even if you use the auto rifle the machine gun has better single target dps than the rocket launcher and you have grenades for AoE mobs. If you're using a hunter it's counter-intuitive to use the auto rifle though they're the only class that get completely passive buffs to guns but you can only trigger than through precision kills be it reload speed or stability. You don't lose much at all for taking Chain of Woe in terms of PvE for a pretty significant boost to reload speed, if you want to use auto-rifles you're better off using a Titan for the increased armor when the Hunter's Speed is more about avoiding bullets which becomes harder to do at the effective ranges of auto rifles. If you end up taking Way of the Fearless to compensate the Titan still easily does auto rifle range better than the Hunter, with better Recovery, the Hunter can also use the speed to get behind cover and utilize Battle Recovery more effectively than it can Armor.

If you have your super ready then it's easier to start with that and kill everybody in the area than whittle them down and then using your super to finish off a reduced amount ending in the same result where in one scenario you're health is fine and you're ready to continue the fight where in the other if you wait for things to "go bad" you have to recover.

Machine Guns with their ammo capacity and more traditional means of attack make a better secondary where effective Rocket Launchers are very situational since if they're not grouped it's generally better to just use your primary since you have much higher capacity with it. The Machine Gun is a longer range shotgun substitute which you're looking at and lets you keep the Sniper Rifle for bosses.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Dwlr has offically talked me out of using the Hunter.

They may look the coolest, IMO, but i am awful with sniper Rifles. They also seem more suited to a Group and i prefer playing solo.

Gonna try the Wizard next, Only thing i'll have to get used to is that awful Glide jumping.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
I finally beat the storyline.

I was disappointed how the fight turned out. Also wished each boss statue had a ability. Decent story overall. Bah that stranger gave me her pulse rifle. Yuck! Least has a full auto ability.

Bring on the expansions!

I completed the weekly strike mission. And boy I really UNDERESTIMATED it. I completed it just to get enough strange coins to get the exotic titan helmet. So bling!

I'm gonna try the huntah soon!

Mister_SGG

To the people who have played it: did it deliver? I'm trying to decide whether I'll get it when I buy my PS4 soon but based off what I've seen it looks like it was massively overhyped.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
well, ive been Renting and playing it for 10 days. I can honestly say im still not convinced if i like it or not.

there is Little to no Story. Cant Complain to much there though since i enjoy Borderlands.Theres no voice chat unless you join a party. Patrol mission send me against enemys way above my level occasionally. I get booted out of my game at least twice a day, sometimes mid-mission. Hard to do well in Multiplayer unless your max level, but maybe thats just me. There also Friend-only Raids, but None of my friends play Destiny so i cant even do them.

I also havent been able to log in to Destiny for about an hour at this point. Some "Cattle" Error or something.

Maybe I'll try again in a few Months when more content is released.

Last edited: