• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Destroyed Screens? Who do you blame?

T.W.I.

Undercover Rocket
I played the 1st Pokemon ranger years ago and it seriously destroyed my screen. I've yet to play Almia just for fear that my new DSi would get ruined like my last one. I bought screen protectors for my DSi, but i still worry about 'breaching' the plastic. I remember going crazy trying to catch those dogs at the end and that steelix (crazy as in @@@@@@@@@@ [those being swirls])>_> Anyone else have their screens destroyed? If so, is there a certain pokemon you blame?

BCVM22

Not to place the blame on you or anything, but is it possible that you're pressing down on the screen with more force than is necessary?

ITOMARU

Answer Talker
Yeah, my old DS's screen got scratched a tad. Made this horrible scraping noise whenever I drew a line...

There was no Pokemon in particular that made me go nuts. It was the Capture Arena... so much looping, so little time. It not only hurt my screen, but the constant looping wore down the end of my stylus a tad. Also, my stylus was pressing into one of my fingers the whole time. It hurt. But now styluses are bigger, and hurt me much less. And all the constant looping wore down my stylus.

So, now I know that there shall be Ranger 3, I'm finally going to buy a DSi and a screen protector... or two.

Last edited:

Illusione-Tempus

...Well it depends though, on how long to try to capture. Meh, I finished my 2nd playthrough of the 1st Ranger game in about 5:49 play time or something =/

I was lucky to be given a screen protector when I bought my first DS. Oh, lucky me :3

Though I feel sorry for the ones who got their touch screen sound... I can't think about scraping sounds when I play, must've been horrible X.X

Takoto

Prince of Ampora
Well, I've been trying hard to make sure I don't damage the screen...

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I have screen protectors. But even before I had them, the touch screen still remained in good condition even after 1000+ captures in Ranger.

Try to press gently as to not damage the screen :)

Prisimviere

Not Returned.
You need screen protectors.

Oh, and also don't get mad at playing this. Like, you are using the stylus so hard. Try using your stylus lightly and carefully. I always do that so I won't break my Touch Screen :)

Yellow Aura

Light of Hope
I've never had any problems with my screen. Like the others have said, the only reason anyone's screnn is being damaged is because you're pressing too hard. I think somewhere in the game it evens says to lighly use the stylus.

Lord_Storm

Well I'm on my third DS (not because of scratching, because of dropping), and my screen on my first got damaged by playing on Pokemon Dash, and then my second one got quite a bit scratched due to frustration on Ranger.

You shouldn't even be touching that hard.

You should try to touch the screen, but no force ata ll. THey'd how I play any game heavy on the touchscreen, didn't effect my DS Phat at all. I have a i now, and that wasn't effected by anything either

Mizuku Kagirinai

~ Keyblade Master ~
Umm...

I have played through the first and second Ranger games multiple times and am in the middle of the third one at the moment, and I have never EVER damaged my DS screens.

Not even on my DS Phat. Not even on my Lite. And I have played Ranger games on both many a time.

I really don't understand why people stab their screens while playing this series. It even says in the manual 'gentle sweeps', not 'psycho Movie-esque stabbing and slicing'. Really.

Additionally, I never purchase/use Screen Protectors. I find them a waste of money.

FireMeowth

Enthusiast
I've played through Shadows of Almia two or three times, capturing all the Pokémon along the way (getting S-Rank, too, of course).
And what do you know - no scratches. Why, not even any marks whatsoever.

Without screen protectors.

I'm really getting quite annoyed at how people blame the great Ranger-games. v , v

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
You do know that pressing hard really doesn't help?
In particular, I notice you complained about steelix. Steelix is one where it's best to go slowly, not fast.
You don't need to apply force. It really doesn't help.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I've played all three Ranger games on my DS which I got in 2005 and the screen is still good. Pressing lightly is really the best way to go, force doesn't yield the best results in Pokemon Ranger nor in most other situations :/

kim12

Otaku
Wow and I thought I was pressing too hard. I don't even see a scratch on my screen lol.