• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Desu Desu Pass! Gen 5 Baton Pass Team

Kaifi

Introduction: Hello rates and viewers, this is my first RMT. The goal is simple, to create a dedicated Baton Pass Team, with one key sweeper sweeping all 6 opposing Pokemon in the end. While this may seem like a "Gimmick Team" I have worked many hours crafting a team. Like all baton pass teams, the biggest problems are Phazing, Hazards, and Taunt, as well as rare miscellaneous threats, like Perish song and haze.
But beating all the odds, this team truly allows Pink Cat a chance to sweep.

The Team

Frostnite (Froslass) (F) Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Spikes/Ice Beam
- Destiny Bond

Description: Froslass, you kill and stop opposing leads like no other Pokémon. The paralysis support is very helpful to all my Pokémon when setting up, and some lucky Para-Hax could secure a free boost. My team obviously hates hazards of any kind, and Frostnite can taunt any hazard user to death, and even set up spikes of her own to break any sashes, or fire of an Ice beam if you don't think this team needs hazards. Finally, Destiny Bond is used to secure a crucial KO against a threat to my team, like Tyranitar or Infernape.
Why this Pokémon?: When play testing this team, I cycled through many suicide leads. Sableye, Azelf, and even Celebi were all tested before deciding on Froslass. It has great speed, sitting at 110, and out speeding nearly all non-scarfed leads in existence. It has a crucial combination of Paralysis, Taunt, and Destiny Bond that no other Pokémon has (EDIT: Except Bannete, who's NU and terribly slow) Its ghost typing even makes it immune to the rare explosion.

Tux Dawg (Smeargle) (M) Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Ingrain
- Baton Pass
- Rock Polish/Quiver Dance/Magic Coat/Shell Smash*
Description: This Pokémon is a flagship Baton Passer, and it's hard not to see why. While its stats are pitiful, learning any move is perfect for Baton Passing. Spore is used first to render any Pokémon useless, followed by Ingrain. Ingrain is a rarely used move on a baton pass team, but it's very important to stop Whirlwind, Roar, and even Dragon Tail, which taunt could never do, plus the extra recovery is excellent. Finally, Smeargle will usually just pass Ingrain on, but if the opponent stays asleep or Smeargle evades the attack or something, his fourth move is up to you. Rock Polish or Quiver Dance give a jump start to whoever you pass to, and Magic Coat reflects Taunt and Hazards back to the foes side of the field, which can surprise Pokémon like Skarmory. Only use Shell Smash if you make one of the Pokémon on this team hold a white herb, preferably Vaporeon, because he doesn't need Lefties much anyway.

Why this Pokémon?: Obviously for the sheer versatility! Seriously,does this really need explaining?

Uberthought (Mew) Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Calm Nature
- Barrier
- Amnesia/Psychic
- Baton Pass
- Softboiled/Flamethrower
Description: Passing so many defensive boosts may be frowned upon by most Baton Pass team builders, but If there has to be one Pokémon to do it, it's Mew. With those 100/100/100 Defenses, it can sponge most neutral hits, and after a boost, even take many super effective hits. Barrier and Amnesia give my team needed support to set up, because most members aren't very bulky. Because Venomoth can raise its special defense, you can use Psychic over Amnesia as to not be complete taunt bait. Softboiled is for healing in a pinch, but with Leftovers and Ingrain recovery, you can use Flamethrower over Softboiled for hitting Steel types for Super Effective damage. The Evs are simply there so Mew can take hits from both sides of the spectrum.

Why this Pokémon?: When looking for a Pokémon to pass defensive boosts. Few Pokémon can learn both Barrier and Amnesia, and out of those that can, hardly any can learn Baton Pass, and none are as bulky as Mew. Mew even has pretty good offensive presence without investment, With Psychic and Flamethrower if you choose to use them, getting great coverage.

Dust Storm (Venomoth) (M) Black Sludge
Ability: Wonder Skin
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass
- Sleep Powder
- Bug Buzz/Roost

Description: Right now you may be saying, "Why u b using wonder skin and not tinted lenses NUUUUU!"
Wonder Skin is such a great ability, while Tinted Lenses is to, I always laugh to myself when a opponents Spore or Taunt misses, and they furiously type "WTF?" in PS Chat. Anyway, this Venomoth set is nearly identical to the one on Serebii, expect for the Evs. Again, like Mew's Evs, They allow Venomoth to tank hits from both sides of the Spectrum. You can use Roost over Bug Buzz if you really need the extra healing, but I simply prefer Bug Buzz for the attack power.

Why this Pokémon?: Again, this is the only Pokémon that can reliably Baton Pass Quiver Dance boosts (Smeargle's taken, and No one gives a crap about Masquerain!) Even though its bulk is nothing stellar, anything is bulky with +6 in each defensive stats

Soaked (Vaporeon) (M) Leftovers/Focus Sash/White Herb
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
- Aqua Ring
- Baton Pass
- Scald/Protect
- Roar

Description: Vaporeon is my answer to most set up sweepers. To most people when I'm battling them, it occurs to them "Hey this guy is settin' up all over me, why not set up on him?" And out comes my Vaporeon on a +5 Shell Smash Cloyster. "Whacha gonna do SCALD at me?" And he sets up another Shell Smash. Only does he realize the error of his ways when Roar instantly brings in his Infernape, all that boosting wasted. "Oops" He thinks. This scenario is usually what happens when I bring in my Vaporeon in on set up sweepers. Aqua Ring is for even more recovery, and the choice between Scald and Protect depends on if you a Focus Sash or Lefties. Focus Sash is for surviving a big hit, so protect can be used to gain Leftover, Ingrain, and Possibly aqua ring for recovery, making it possible to survive the next hit. Scald is simply for damage, and the burn always helps.

Why this Pokémon?: I'm sure when you saw Vaporeon on the Team at a Glance, you thought it would have to stoop to Baton Passing Acid Armor. Nope! While all Eeveelutions can use both Roar and Baton Pass, Vaporeon is by far the best and bulkiest at doing it. Aqua Ring and Baton Pass is definitely bonus recovery my team appreciates.

Pink Cat (Espeon) (F) Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Baton Pass
- Stored Power/Psychic
- Calm Mind/Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Description: When all the Boosts have been attained, when the defenses, special attack, and speed have reached maximum capacity, Pink Cat comes in. Capable of sweeping, destroying, burning,and incinerating the ashes of anything in its path, look at its power:

+6 252+ SpA Espeon Stored Power (260 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 1084-1276 (151.82 - 178.71%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ SpA Espeon Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 644-760 (159.4 - 188.11%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ SpA Espeon Stored Power (260 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Scizor: 847-997 (246.22 - 289.82%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ SpA Espeon Stored Power (260 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jirachi: 334-394 (82.67 - 97.52%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO after Spikes

+6 252+ SpA Espeon Stored Power (260 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dragonite with Multiscale intact: 1339-1576 (346.89 - 408.29%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ SpA Espeon Stored Power (260 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cresselia: 557-656 (125.45 - 147.74%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Baton Pass or Calm Mind can be used to keep the chain going. Psychic can be used for more consistency, but Stored Power reaches 380 Power when all stats are +6. Hidden Power Fighting is simply for Dark types, as max stored power does more damage to Steel types. Shadow Ball is simply for coverage, hitting most psychic types, though Stored Power normally OHKOS most Psychics anyway.*

Why this Pokemon?: As explained in the team building process, Espeon is a great Baton Passer/Receiver, and with the right boosts, a great special sweeper. With Magic Bounce, good 110 Base Speed, and a Very Respectable Base 130 Special Attack, and plus Mew's defensive boosts giving Stored Power and extra boost. It also has respectable Special Defense, but its Defense leaves a bit to be desired.
Threat List

CRITICAL HITS
If there is anything that ends my matches the most, it's crits. Critical is supposed to do x2 the damage, not Insta Kill. When my Mew is healthy taking 17% from a Hydro Pump, and its now at full health because of softboiled. But then BAM Crit completely wipes Mew's health and all my boosts are gone.

Tyranitar, Hydregion, and Gengar
If there's one actual Pokemon my team is weak to, it's the big three. Tyranitar Breaks my sashes with Sand Storm or Stealth Rocks, hits all my Pokemon but Vaporeon for big damage with Crunch and Stone Edge, and can easily set up with Dragon Dance. Hydregion can torch Froslass and Venomoth with Fire Blast, nail Mew and Espeon with Dark Pulse, slam Vaporeon with Draco Meteor, and just kill Smeargle with anything it has. Gengar can use Sub Disable to Prevent me from passing, and Shadow Ball my whole team into Oblivion.

The Steel Types
These Steel types all pose a big threat to my main sweeper, Scizor can use U-turn to bring down Espeon's health, Ferrothorn can lay hazards so when she switches in, she loses half her health. Jirachi is 4x Resistant to Stored Power, and it even fails to OHKO specially defensive Jirachi.

Boosting Sweepers
Boosting Sweepers can trouble my team. After all, they can get enough boosts to make my defensive boosts mean nothing. Ditto is in a class by itself. Ditto can grab boosts I have earned, then pass them on to their teammates.

Taunt Users
Uggh, do I even have to explain this one! Taunt user shut down my team.

Other Threats, (Haze, Perish Song, Clear Smog Etc.)
There are things even this team isn't prepared for, like Perish Song, Clear Smog, Haze, and Magic Bounce. However, most of these threats are so rare, that when they do occur I lose, but they occur every one in fifty battles, so wasting a moveslot or a teammate to prepare for them would just make me lose more than I win.

Ending Notes
If you have any suggestions to improve this team, please let me know!
Now let the hating, rating, and fating begin!

Importable (You have to insert the items yourself)
Frostnite (Froslass) (F)
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond

Tux Dawg (Smeargle)
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Baton Pass
- Ingrain
- Rock Polish

Uberthought (Mew)
Ability: Synchronize
Calm Nature
- Barrier
- Amnesia
- Psychic
- Baton Pass

Dust Storm (Venomoth) (M)
Ability: Wonder Skin
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass
- Sleep Powder
- Bug Buzz

Soaked (Vaporeon)
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
- Aqua Ring
- Baton Pass
- Scald
- Roar

Pink Cat (Espeon)
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Baton Pass
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Credits
Team - Myself
Pokemon Sprites - Pokecheck
Froslass Pic - Pokemon Tower Defense Two
Smeargle Pic - Kumata on DeviantArt (Crappy Bow Tie added by me)
Mew Pic - The first Pokemon movie
Venomoth Pic - The Pokemon Anime
Vaporeon Pic - The Pokemon Anime
Espeon Pic - Furreon on DeviantArt

Thank you great artist for support in making my rmt!

Ruinnor

The team actually looks pretty decent. Only a couple of things I may mention:

Tux Dawg (Smeargle)
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Baton Pass
- Ingrain
-Quiver Dance

^ Just more usefull for the team

Also, if they have a counter (T-Tar/Hydreigon/Gengar) You may want a counter and back-up, late game sweeper. Here is what I think:

Venomoth --->

Lucario Life Orb/Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 atk / 252 spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Ice Punch/Close Combat both KO Hydreigon. Bullet Punch KO Tyranitar and Crunch KO Gengar! If you are worried Hydreigon or Gengar will be scarfed, just put on a scarf yourself!