• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mockingjay

swift and lol
https://publicfigure.com/2019/01/30...ey-confirms-movie-role-alongside-rob-delaney/

Rob Delaney has confirmed that he will star alongside Ryan Reynolds in the upcoming live-action Pokémon: Detective Pikachu.

The Catastrophe star confirmed to RadioTimes.com that he will appear in the new film based on the beloved Japanese anime, after reports outed him as a secret cast member.

“That I can say,” he confirmed at the Radio Times Covers Party,”only because other people have been saying it. So, yeah, I am in that, yes.”

Delaney did not reveal how exactly he will feature in the film, but did say that he will be set apart from the critters.

“My part takes place completely in the real world,” he said. “So I didn’t have to interact with any of those weird little whatevers.”

His attitude towards the movie is a little off-putting lol but it is interesting that his role didn't require him to be around any Pokemon, so I'm going to assume it's a smaller role (he's not a big name actor anyway so that was expected).

I guess that also means he is not voicing Mewtwo and any of the main villains

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
His attitude towards the movie is a little off-putting lol
Off-putting to say the least. They're not even real! lol

I wouldn't blame him. I expect that most actors, if not most people involved in the movie, have little more than a passing interest, if one at all, in Pokémon. And I'm sure any Pokémon fan knows from experience that there tends to be a stigma against Pokémon among those who were either never interested in it or "outgrew" it. It's especially compounded now when those people didn't play Go, because they likely would have saw Go as an annoyance, given how majorly popular it was.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I wouldn't blame him. I expect that most actors, if not most people involved in the movie, have little more than a passing interest, if one at all, in Pokémon. And I'm sure any Pokémon fan knows from experience that there tends to be a stigma against Pokémon among those who were either never interested in it or "outgrew" it. It's especially compounded now when those people didn't play Go, because they likely would have saw Go as an annoyance, given how majorly popular it was.
Fair point on that.

Just hoping it lives up to the hype so far.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
ZVNA6gQ.png

Lmao gee, I wonder why journalism is dead.

Wow, that's hilarious. What's interesting, is that if you scroll to the bottom of the article and click the "author's" name, the website actually has a profile for the writer "Ryan Reynolds," and it says that he's written 1,199 posts, all of which have been written since April 9, 2018. By the look of it, they're all posts about Ryan Reynolds. So that part, oddly, wasn't a mistake. Is this some sort of search engine optimization scheme gone too far?

Jokes aside, okay then. Most likely isn't Mewtwo, but maybe he's Detective Goodman since he's not saying who he is? We never got a confirmation for who was playing him, right?

I'd have to assume that Goodman would interact with Pokémon at some point. At the very least, his Accelgor.

On that note, this movie better have his Accelgor in it, it was one of my favorite parts about the game.

mockingjay

swift and lol
To the surprise of no one, Bill Nighy confirms he's playing a live-action character:

"You can guess how much I knew about Pokemon before I did the movie," he tells Total Film in the latest issue. "I know a bit more now. I met the head of Pokemon, the seventh richest man in the world, I think, and the man who drew all the Pokemon. And I bought the Pokedex, which is a fabulous book, actually. It was great fun."

Nighy kindly sent his copy of the sacred Pokemon tome to "a small boy in Canada" and now almost regrets it. "It’s such a beautiful book. It’s got a plastic ball in the cover, with a Pikachu inside. I got very interested in the thing. In fact, I have two decorative panels made of plaster, to look like stone, with classical figures next to Pokemon figures. They look like ancient Grecian works of art. They were on the set and I admired them, so they gave them to me. I’m the only person in the world who has these things. I might have to Ebay them for charity or something."

Unlike fellow actor Ryan Reynolds, who plays Pikachu, Nighy has to use his own face for his role. "I’m a live-action character, but I’m not at liberty to tell you who." In fact, he's one of several stars in the film with an intriguing blank space next to their names in the cast list: Assassination Nation's Suki Waterhouse and singer Rita Ora are also playing classified characters.

Detective Pikachu will be released May 10, and you can read more about it in this month's Total Film magazine.

Bill Nighy is a pretty big-name character and so he wouldn't be doing a Detective Pikachu movie if it was just a small role, especially considering he got to meet the head of Pokemon and Ken Sugimori, etc.

My prediction is that he's playing the central/main villain (controlling Mewtwo) and will be the father to Chris Geere's character who I suspect will play someone based off Roger Clifford.

The stone plaster that look like "ancient Grecian works of art" is probably one about Mew, and both Mew/Mewtwo are confirmed to be in the movie based off merchandise listings.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The game has no sequel?

Depends on how you want to define sequel. The game came out in Japan in 2016 with three chapters. Then, in 2018, worldwide a game with nine chapters, including those first three, was released. In Japan, the last six chapters was released as a separate game, technically making it a sequel.

But the simplest answer is no, there is yet to be a sequel. I would assume that there is one in the work though, as it would be odd for them to not capitalize on the movie.

N... No...? There was the Wii U version but I think that was just like... Essentially a demo.

What? There's no Detective Pikachu on Wii U, demo or otherwise. There's a demo on the 3DS, if that's what you meant.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
What? There's no Detective Pikachu on Wii U, demo or otherwise. There's a demo on the 3DS, if that's what you meant.

You are completely correct. For some reason I wrongly remembered the dev pics having a Wii U pad in them and that lead to me assuming the 3 chapter release was on Wii U. Chalk it up to stupidity and late night posting.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Apparently the TCG promo cards for the movie leaked. There's a few Pokemon on here that weren't in the first trailer (haven't seen the second one yet, so outside of Snubbull, I don't know which ones are new), so we get a glimpse of what these look like.

DzNgh8EXcAI6wot.jpg

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Well we did literally have a random announcement of the game shortly after BW2 were released outside of Japan and went three years without any news or update when it suddenly was released in Japan.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Apparently the TCG promo cards for the movie leaked. There's a few Pokemon on here that weren't in the first trailer (haven't seen the second one yet, so outside of Snubbull, I don't know which ones are new), so we get a glimpse of what these look like.

DzNgh8EXcAI6wot.jpg

It's hard to tell because of the quality and how zoomed out the image is, but it looks like these images are less "live-action" pictures, and more art drawn to look like the "live-action" images.

mockingjay

swift and lol
These look really stylised because yeah, a lot of them look very cartoony compared to their live-action counterparts (Bulbasaur the biggest example, and Magikarp just doesn't look like anything realistic lol) but it's a good indication of which Pokemon are going to have decent roles in the movie.

Slaking looks really cool and really excited to see it on screen. Surprised Mew and Mewtwo haven't leaked yet.

EDIT: The close up photos are A LOT better: https://www.pokecardex.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=39373

Arcanine as part of the police force looks amazing. Lickitung has popped up in several merch for this movie now, so it seems to have a substantial role.

Last edited:

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
It's hard to tell because of the quality and how zoomed out the image is, but it looks like these images are less "live-action" pictures, and more art drawn to look like the "live-action" images.

These look really stylised because yeah, a lot of them look very cartoony compared to their live-action counterparts (Bulbasaur the biggest example, and Magikarp just doesn't look like anything realistic lol) but it's a good indication of which Pokemon are going to have decent roles in the movie.

Slaking looks really cool and really excited to see it on screen. Surprised Mew and Mewtwo haven't leaked yet.

As far as I can tell they look like the 3D models specifically posed with a bit of editing flourishing. I've done similar things with some clients who wanted to add to their 3D renders. Though they are pretty low quality so I'll need a closer look to confirm.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Looking at the close-up images, I'll still stand by what I said. Slaking and Arcanine look kind of "realistic," but most of the others just don't look like they come straight out of the movie. The clearest example of this is Jigglypuff and Mr. Mime, since we saw both them clearly in trailers already. Their cards seem to have way less detail than what we saw in the movie. Given, they don't quite look "drawn" like I stated earlier, but the models still seem to be lower quality.

With that said, I really like that Arcanine. I think it may be the Pokémon that made the best transition so far. I'm also liking that view of Charizard. Magikarp doesn't really seem to have changed much at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.