• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Origins was an adaptation, and the same content (the game storyline) can be adapted into a movie as well.

Origins jumped around disjointedly. It worked because it was meant to be watched by fans who can easily fill in the blanks. It was a completely different type of adaptation than a movie would have to be.

Regardless, it's not that I'm saying a movie couldn't be done, just that it wasn't the safest choice. And since the producers have no clue how well a live action Pokémon movie will do, it's smart to go with a safe choice first.

That this is easier is relative.

Relative to what, exactly?

That would be just a dumb idea. If you are going to introduce this universe in a certain way to an audience, you are not going to change it on the next movie. You keep the basis of what you established.

Why? What's to stop them, if that's what they want to do? Even if keeping consistent were a big issue, what reason is there that a Detective Pikachu movie couldn't coexist with a traditional game-based movie?

I obviously don't.

So it's not just speaking English, but even the anime-style Pokémon speak you don't like? Do realize that the public perception of Pokémon is that they say their names, and because of that there's no way we would ever get a movie where they don't?

Last edited:

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
Origins jumped around disjointedly. It worked because it was meant to be watched by fans who can easily fill in the blanks. It was a completely different type of adaptation than a movie would have to be.

Indeed. That's what there's work involved in adapting stuff.

Relative to what, exactly?

To a movie adapting the original storyline of the first games.

Why? What's to stop them, if that's what they want to do?

Nothing. Who said materializing a dumb idea has to be stopped?

Even if keeping consistent were a big issue, what reason is there that a Detective Pikachu movie couldn't coexist with a traditional game-based movie?

Because they are two completely different approaches to the world.

So it's not just speaking English, but even the anime-style Pokémon speak you don't like? Do realize that the public perception of Pokémon is that they say their names, and because of that there's no way we would ever get a movie where they don't?

No. I realize that most people don't really care wether Pokémon say their names or make animalistic growls. It's completely secondary (if not irrelevant) to most. People care about the cute/cool aspect of the creatures. And that aspect is not that much affected by the sounds they make. Personally, I don't like it, never did and never will. And those in charge of the franchise would lose virtually nothing by discarding the concept entirely and stick to what was originally established.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
To a movie adapting the original storyline of the first games.

I still don't follow your meaning. Are you disagreeing that making a Detective Pikachu movie is easier, or are you saying something else?

Nothing. Who said materializing a dumb idea has to be stopped?

Okay, let's put it differently then. What makes it a dumb idea?

Because they are two completely different approaches to the world.

And how does that stop them from coexisting. Just look at the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Some of its movies are more action oriented, some are more comedy. Some are heist films, while others are space operas. Yet, they all take place in the same world and no one complains.

No. I realize that most people don't really care wether Pokémon say their names or make animalistic growls. It's completely secondary (if not irrelevant) to most. People care about the cute/cool aspect of the creatures. And that aspect is not that much affected by the sounds they make. Personally, I don't like it, never did and never will. And those in charge of the franchise would lose virtually nothing by discarding the concept entirely and stick to what was originally established.

Detrctive Pikachu is being made with people who are only casually familiar with Pokémon in mind. These people tend to have the anime version of Pokémon ingrained in their mind. It's not that they wouldn't like the movie if it used more animalistic voices, it's that it wouldn't fit with their mental image, and them makers of the movie want to do everything they can to cater to these people, as that is what will earn them the most money.

And really, if cute creatures is what people want, there's an argument to be made that saying their name is cuter than making an animal noise.

Let's be blunt. Even among Pokémon fans, you're in the minority here. Generally Pokémon fans either prefer Pokémon say their names, or just don't care because they're used to it. It's relatively rare to run into someone who outright doesn't like it. You shouldn't expect them to cater to your minority.

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
It seems you're making an argument over something that nobody argued. I stated my opinion. I never said I was in the majority, I never said people should or have to agree with me. In fact, I specifically said that most people don't care either way. I don't speak for others, I speak for myself. I do care, therefore I shared my criticism accordingly. People are then free to agree or disagree. Besides, me being in the minority or majority is completely irrelevant. Doesn't make my opinion any less valid.

It's my opinion that an adaptation to a new format (be it manga, anime, film, etc...) should offer the standard Pokémon experience/adventure adapted to it, because it will be the introduction of the franchise to a new audience and format. Once that's out of the way, they can start to diverge. You disagree, see the Detective Pikachu as a better or easier template. That's fine. But I don't think my point of view is that hard to understand or to execute, even if those in charge have other preferences.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It seems you're making an argument over something that nobody argued. I stated my opinion. I never said I was in the majority, I never said people should or have to agree with me. In fact, I specifically said that most people don't care either way. I don't speak for others, I speak for myself. I do care, therefore I shared my criticism accordingly. People are then free to agree or disagree. Besides, me being in the minority or majority is completely irrelevant. Doesn't make my opinion any less valid.

It's my opinion that an adaptation to a new format (be it manga, anime, film, etc...) should offer the standard Pokémon experience/adventure adapted to it, because it will be the introduction of the franchise to a new audience and format. Once that's out of the way, they can start to diverge. You disagree, see the Detective Pikachu as a better or easier template. That's fine. But I don't think my point of view is that hard to understand or to execute, even if those in charge have other preferences.

Okay. Fair enough. You may want to try to be more careful in your wording. You made it sound like you were complaining about what you saw as objective flaws with the movie, rather than subjective.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I hate how a Western adaptation of Pokemon looks better than a Japanese one coming out the same year. What backwards universe have I fallen into?

It's just...so weird to see how much care and attention this movie has put into it. All the Pokemon, and from varying Generations to boot!

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I hate how a Western adaptation of Pokemon looks better than a Japanese one coming out the same year. What backwards universe have I fallen into?

It's just...so weird to see how much care and attention this movie has put into it. All the Pokemon, and from varying Generations to boot!
Eh, that varies, really. This movie is taking CGI to an absolute defined detail that makes it look a bit too Western.

Meanwhile, the other movie is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiit in the middle of the official artwork and CGI, except the humans are also CGI...and look uncanny.

greninjamaster

I'm just happy they're back to bringing focus on the OG Trio. Hopefully for reasons to push them in the spotlight again.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I'm just happy they're back to bringing focus on the OG Trio. Hopefully for reasons to push them in the spotlight again.

You seem to be in the wrong movie thread. This is for Detective Pikachu.

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
Okay. Fair enough. You may want to try to be more careful in your wording. You made it sound like you were complaining about what you saw as objective flaws with the movie, rather than subjective.

I don't need to be careful with my wording, there was nothing wrong with it to begin with. I'm not responsible for the subjective assumptions people may or may not make about my comments.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I don't need to be careful with my wording, there was nothing wrong with it to begin with. I'm not responsible for the subjective assumptions people may or may not make about my comments.

Do whatever you want. Just don't be surprised when people try to point out why you're wrong, not realizing that you're stating opinion, and not trying to make a generalized objective statement.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Let's try to get more on topic - discuss the detective pikachu movie rather than the Mewtwo one, or how people word things.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I think it's fitting WB is involved they were the first studio to bring Pokemon to American theaters plus they own the Hanna-Barbera library which has influenced many aspects of the Pokemon anime (like the use of Meowth and Pikachu, a cat and mouse like Tom and Jerry, as main characters).

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Fun fact: Detective Pikachu was shot on film. And yes, actual film (many films and shows are shot digitally these days) to give it that grainy, noir feel.

Here's an interesting little tidbit about Detective Pikachu. In an interview with Vulture, actor Justice Smith reveals that Detective Pikachu was shot on film, instead of going the digital route. This was a choice made to play up various aspects of the movie itself.

"There wasn’t a lot of green screen. Our director, Rob Letterman — I’m getting better at saying last names, Rob Letterman — wanted to shoot on location as much as possible. We shot in London, and for like a week in Scotland which is like a desktop background. He had this vision to put the Pokémon up against this urban backdrop and use this gray, grainy filter. We shot on film so it gave it that natural grain.

Because the Pokémon are so fantastical, to put them up against this realistic backdrop makes them pop more. That kind of drew me into wanting to do the film, because you can so easily go into this zany realm. I loved Rob Letterman — I don’t know why I’m saying his last name still — because he was all about the actor and our performance and keeping it loose on set and improvising and responding naturally."

And got the actual interview for good measure, only going to post this bit because Justice geeks out and it's adorable.

Did the Pokémon have those intense scaly and furry character designs when you came into the movie?
When I first saw them, I freaked. The inner child in me was having a field day. They brought in a statue of Pikachu that was all covered in fur and it was soft and everything. Its nose was rubber and wet. It was so lifelike, and I was just like internally crying, because I was like, “This is exactly how I wanted to see them portrayed.” It was a childhood dream come true.

So you were a big Pokémon kid?
Huge Pokémon kid. I collected all the cards. I still have them in my closet somewhere. I played Pokémon Gold on Game Boy Color.

The best one!
Totodile is still my favorite Pokemon. I have a little Totodile figurine. My generation and the older people of my same generation, they all tweeted me when the trailer came out. They were the people who were most excited. I was just getting response from people in their 30s. I agree with the people on social media talking about the different character designs and stuff, and debating over the way that the characters were realized in such a way. It’s so engaging.

Lady Umbreon

Fun fact: Detective Pikachu was shot on film. And yes, actual film (many films and shows are shot digitally these days) to give it that grainy, noir feel.

And got the actual interview for good measure, only going to post this bit because Justice geeks out and it's adorable.

Thanks for posting this. It's great to see that the cast & crew genuinely care about this being a good movie. I'm not sure that would've happened if they'd done a live action movie back during Gen 1.

greninjamaster

Lots of great new articles came out.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...attle-on-the-set-of-pokemon-detective-pikachu

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...niverse-a-possibility-after-detective-pikachu

POKEMON CINEMATIC UNIVERSE!!

When choosing which Pokemon to use for the film, Baxter was surprised to learn some disturbing facts. For example, his team designed a lifelike version of Sawk, a humanoid fighting Pokemon that looks like it’s wearing a gi, complete with a black belt tied around its waist.

Only, Baxter told us that when they showed it to TPC, they got some unexpected news.

“We found out that the outfit is actually it's skin,” he recalled with a laugh.

And that goes for other outfit-wearing Pokemon like Machamp and Mr. Mime. Those are flesh clothes. Enjoy that knowledge!

THIS IS SO DISTURBING! SO ANY POKEMON WITH CLOTHES ON IS ACTUALLY FLESH CLOTHES!

Status
Not open for further replies.