• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Just saw the film and can say I have conflicted feelings towards it. Visually it's a stunning film with how much care was put into rendering every Pokemon. Ryme City is a lively place that blends well with some notable locations in London.

It's in the final act where I believe the story falls apart. My first problem would have to be the giant Torterra, mainly because something that large would affect the local environment. You'd at least detect tremors from its movement. The second problem would have to be this whole fusion thing. Since when can Mewtwo do that?

I'd say it's an alright film, nothing I'm in a rush to see again.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Kutie Pie, I believe it was you who first brought up the Pichu. Perhaps the video you saw it in wasn't an official upload? Any clue?

I suppose so, but it was the "Pokémon World" trailer with Spanish subs, so I don't know. I just don't know where else the image is from, it's really convincing, though.

Saw it a second time today because bro and I were in the area and were bored, and although it was a much smaller crowd (only like four other people besides us, I think), and therefore the atmosphere wasn't like it was on opening night, I was still glued to the screen and still loving every frame of it. Again, because it still feels like an actual Pokémon film to me, it's definitely a movie to watch every once in a while so you can see it with fresher eyes, but I still enjoyed it. Didn't notice too many new things that I had missed, but I still feel like each frame was used well in that there's no unwanted, no wasted, nor a need for any space. Everything's where it's supposed to be and it makes you feel like you're there in that environment. I think it's wonderful they did that.

Also still wholly appreciate the holographic flashbacks, still such a cool effect. Also is really cool that they give you the flashback in bits and pieces and then giving you the full truth when the one witness, Mewtwo, was there to share it.

Mewtwo talking still freaks me out, though, I don't think I'm ever going to get used it.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It's in the final act where I believe the story falls apart. My first problem would have to be the giant Torterra, mainly because something that large would affect the local environment. You'd at least detect tremors from its movement.

Yeah, I said the exact same thing.

The second problem would have to be this whole fusion thing. Since when can Mewtwo do that?

In fairness to the movie, Mewtwo did basically the exact same thing in the game. We don't know how, as they never attempt to explain it, but Mewtwo somehow transferred Harry's consciousness into Pikachu's body. The movie attempted to take this detail and turn it into the main plot of the movie. Personally, I'm more willing to suspend my disbelief for it happening once than I am for it happening to an entire city, but it is still technically the same thing in the end.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Just saw the film and can say I have conflicted feelings towards it. Visually it's a stunning film with how much care was put into rendering every Pokemon. Ryme City is a lively place that blends well with some notable locations in London.

It's in the final act where I believe the story falls apart. My first problem would have to be the giant Torterra, mainly because something that large would affect the local environment. You'd at least detect tremors from its movement. The second problem would have to be this whole fusion thing. Since when can Mewtwo do that?

I'd say it's an alright film, nothing I'm in a rush to see again.

From what I could tell from the screen, the giant Torterra are normally asleep in the ground, so they don’t always create problems for the environment. They only seemed to wake up because Psyduck’s attack. Plus, I was under the assumption that they lived in a private plot of land due to PCL calling the area the “Torterra Garden.”

Yeah, the soul thing was weird, but I think the movie is going by Gen 1 logic on how Psychic types have the potential to do just about anything.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Oh, I almost forgot that I actually did notice a nice little detail I missed the first time around.

I noticed that after the humans were fused with their Pokémon, they were just wandering in a daze, and some looked like they didn't know how to walk or do anything. Whoever fused with the Machamp, for instance, couldn't hold up the upper arms and so they were laying limp on the shoulders. I thought that was interesting.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So, how much longer are we going to hide spoilers for? I feel like we're getting to the point where everyone who cares has seen it, and if they haven't seen it and still care then they probably shouldn't be reading this thread in the first place.

Well I didn't play the Detective Pikachu game so I didn't know what to expect from the movie.

Of course, just explaining the logic so you do know.

From what I could tell from the screen, the giant Torterra are normally asleep in the ground, so they don’t always create problems for the environment. They only seemed to wake up because Psyduck’s attack. Plus, I was under the assumption that they lived in a private plot of land due to PCL calling the area the “Torterra Garden.”

But just the Torterra breathing while sleeping should be enough to cause tremors. If they stir in their sleep, surely it would cause earthquakes beyond the range of the PCL. And they still need food, how do they get enough food to sustain them?

Oh, I almost forgot that I actually did notice a nice little detail I missed the first time around.

I noticed that after the humans were fused with their Pokémon, they were just wandering in a daze, and some looked like they didn't know how to walk or do anything. Whoever fused with the Machamp, for instance, couldn't hold up the upper arms and so they were laying limp on the shoulders. I thought that was interesting.

Maybe I saw it wrong, but I could have sworn I saw the person fused with Machamp checking out his muscles. What you said sounds like way cooler attention to detail, though.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
But just the Torterra breathing while sleeping should be enough to cause tremors. If they stir in their sleep, surely it would cause earthquakes beyond the range of the PCL. And they still need food, how do they get enough food to sustain them?

I just assume they're hibernating or that they can lower their heartbeats/breathing when sleeping like real turtles in hibernation.

I think they're able to eat soil like Larvitar?

Maybe I saw it wrong, but I could have sworn I saw the person fused with Machamp checking out his muscles. What you said sounds like way cooler attention to detail, though.

Yeah, I think he was, but it was just cool to see that the second pair of arms weren't even moving probably because the person doesn't know how to move two sets of arms. It's like how Howard as Mewtwo walked/stumbled out of the capsule for a moment because he needed to "recall" how to levitate, yet he didn't know how to use telepathy. Also similar to how Pikachu couldn't spark up electricity because Harry didn't know how.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
If you look deep enough than any movie will have flaws. Just like the flaws in Avengers: Endgame I'm gonna overlook them in Detective Pikachu and move on with life. It's just one film that wont affect my life in the long term.

If I can offer something new to discuss it'd be what Pokemon would you have wanted to see rendered in a realistic style for the film?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
For the garden:
I'm going to say the main reason is that Torterra is part plant and probably doesn't need to breathe all the time, if at all, since it has plants on it's back. It's dex entries only state needing a source of water, which we know there was. Also the pokemon world is much stronger than our world as shown by every creature being able to blow things up... so giant Torterra not causing tremors by breathing seems quite reasonable to me... We know in the anime that pokemon can be giant sizes, so I don't think it should take anyone out of "P0ke-reality" that much. But also pokemon being able to cause earthquakes by themselves is enough to know that their Earth has different properties from our Earth and different tectonic movements.

Mewtwo's powers:
As for Mewtwo having extra powers, I honestly like it since the games just give us what he can do in battle, and the first movie was more focused on him finding out his powers and being able to control them while also figuring his place out in the world. This Mewtwo has been alive for 20 years, has probably experienced a lot more than what we know. Although I felt like it should have put up more of a fight against those stupid electric robot things. I know it's a different 'universe', but for the most part I mash all pokemon stuff up into one Pokemon world.

Pokemon I want to see are the Nido's, the Rhy's, Electabuzz, the Pan's

Lady Umbreon

I don't have a problem with Mewtwo's new powers because I've seen psychics do similar things in X-Men. The "soul transfer" is a telepathic mind transfer. That's happened tons of times in the comics (just ask Psylocke). The disintegration & rebuilding of bodies is telekinesis on a microscopic level. Phoenix could change her & her teammates civilian clothing into their hero costumes by telekinetically rearranging the fabric's molecules. I don't see why a 20-year-old Mewtwo couldn't have learned these tricks.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
If I can offer something new to discuss it'd be what Pokemon would you have wanted to see rendered in a realistic style for the film?

Definitely more legendaries, especially the big ones. Would be so cool to have something like a Groudon and Kyogre battle in this style, similar to Godzilla. Since Legendary produces both film series, I’m hopeful that such scenes will happen at some point for Pokémon.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
A battle between Legendary Pokémon would be so freaking awesome to see, but I think it'd be wise to save any other Legendary Pokémon for a very special occasion and to not use them in every single movie they'd make. It was smart of them to only use Mewtwo, because despite being considered a Legendary Pokémon he had a significant role in the plot in the game they were adapting/basing it off of. I don't know if they would've brought him in otherwise if that hadn't been the case, but I think they would've anyway due to how popular Mewtwo is. Although unlike most other Pokémon movies, the appearance of such a Legendary Pokémon had weight to it, but they didn't exactly treat it as a spectacle either.
Though I think it's kind of odd that when Howard as Mewtwo came right out into public to announce his plans to everyone, they all just stared at him like "What the fuck is that???", that was rather weird. Like no one had anything to say or exclaim or whatnot? I get it no one has any PokéBalls to just start chucking at him (but I guess they had already made the one Pokémon Go reference, no need for two), but I don't think many people know of Mewtwo's existence, so they should've been more confused/in awe than that.

In a way, it was smart of them to only have references to other Legendary Pokémon through art because that's mainly the only way many/normal people in the Pokémon world would've known of them. Even saying "the ancient Mew" is right on point of what you'd expect to hear in the Pokémon world because no one even knows if there's a Mew alive and well, let alone a breeding population like there is with the Eon duo, all they know is it did exist at some point due to ancient records.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Though I think it's kind of odd that when Howard as Mewtwo came right out into public to announce his plans to everyone, they all just stared at him like "What the fuck is that???", that was rather weird. Like no one had anything to say or exclaim or whatnot? I get it no one has any PokéBalls to just start chucking at him (but I guess they had already made the one Pokémon Go reference, no need for two), but I don't think many people know of Mewtwo's existence, so they should've been more confused/in awe than that.

The lack of Pokéballs is easily explained away by the fact that Pokéballs aren't allowed in Ryme City.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
One other explanation is there's a jamming signal going out to prevent people from using Poke Balls. That way even if people have them the Pokemon cant return to them within the city limits.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
There's home media to take into account as well. Some movies that under-perform in the box office make up for it in DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

What's the Chinese box office like, btw, or does it come out in like another week?

BCVM22

If you weren't worried about the box office, you should start worrying

I'm not entirely certain you read the article you quoted...?

Whether we should have expected Detective Pikachu to break out even bigger, it’s still a video game movie that opened with nearly $55 million alongside a holdover that earned $63 million in weekend three. It’s still a $55 million launch on a weekend that has yielded a lot more bombs (Quest for Camelot, Battlefield Earth, Poseidon, Speed Racer, Dark Shadows, King Arthur, etc.) than hits (Troy, The Great Gatsby) for Warner Bros. Unless it collapses to a near-impossible degree, it’ll be the biggest video game movie ever in North America, with a real shot at being the biggest video game movie ever worldwide too.

???

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Finally saw it today :). Really liked it...

Minus the news person with the Psyduck. She got on my nerves a bit. Really got creeped out by Ditto though. Holy Arceus, is it creepy! Even more so than Mr. Mime.

There was one part that really cracked me up. Tim's dad had his tv on and the movie they were showing was the VERY same one from the Home Alone movies! :) Totally geeked out over that!

https://kotaku.com/detective-pikachu-director-explains-a-most-unexpected-e-1834743814

Last edited:
Out of curiosity: What's the reception of Detective Pikachu over at Japan? I don't mean by box office numbers, but in terms of whether the Japanese audience likes the idea of live-action Pokemon or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.