• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarhorse

...yes? What is there to say it "shouldn't" cost that much? Films cost money to produce.
My line of thinking is that movies that are targeted at children don't always have to cost that much (unless we're looking at a well established studio like Pixar who can afford to spend more on production) because big, expensive spectacle isn't necessarily what's needed to satisfy young children. Look at the Paddington movies, the Lego movies or the movies from Illumination studios. Though they use 3D animation in some capacity, they're not very expensive to make, yet they still manage to find enough success for subsequent movies. In the case of Detective Pikachu, it's obvious that they need some of the expense to craft the world of Pokemon (and rightly so, Ryme city is a wonder to behold), but if such a large amount of effort is going to be made, a wider net is going to have to be cast to included audiences who are older and aren't normally interested in Pokemon.

We get an animated Pokémon film annually. Detective Pikachu would have minimal novelty as an animated film.
That's understandable. I just think that the medium of animation can allow for so much creativity outside of what the annual movies usually aim for. Personally, I'd love to see what Pokemon would look like in a more experimental style of animation, and I'd like to think that such a film could find a niche alongside the established Pokemon movies.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Seriously missed opportunity to reuse the Yellow sprite for the right one.

I don't know, Detective Pikachu (for whatever reason) had that white patch of fur on its stomach, which was only present in the Red/Blue sprites, and not the Yellow.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
My Pikachu plush came in today. He's so fuzzy~ <3
02776b39ded4c5ffb7407f56d36ea5127f7f65d0.jpg

keithpetrosky

I loved the movie! I hope for a part 2, or at least another live action movie but with Team Rocket, and my favorite Pokémon Porygon on some computer hacker plot ;)

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
I loved the movie! I hope for a part 2, or at least another live action movie but with Team Rocket, and my favorite Pokémon Porygon on some computer hacker plot ;)

They're never gonna put Porygon in anything after the seizure incident that wasn't it's fault.

IRL Porygon would be interesting to see though.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
If I can offer something new to discuss it'd be what Pokemon would you have wanted to see rendered in a realistic style for the film?
Probably just a few of my favorite Pokémon like Dewott, Zebstrika, & Alolan Exeggutor.

Personally, I'd love to see what Pokemon would look like in a more experimental style of animation, and I'd like to think that such a film could find a niche alongside the established Pokemon movies.
We kind of already have that with Sun & Moon, The Power of Us, & the upcoming Mewtwo remake

ballinamon

Hello, actually I'm new in the forum. So I see the movie, it was pretty good, more that it have right to be. The style of the city make me think of being a part of Unova, also a lot of GenV Pokemon.

Omar Chaparro have a Charizard, I...I don't know how to feel about that.

Red and Blue

With how the movie ended it should be interesting to see how a sequel would work
Is Ryan going to go back inside his Pikachu again?

solarhorse

With how the movie ended it should be interesting to see how a sequel would work
Is Ryan going to go back inside his Pikachu again?

I think they will
make a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon movie where Harry Goodman is turned back into a Pikachu, Tim Goodman is also turned into a Pokemon and they go on adventures through mysterious dungeons

I thought that the movie was good but that a sequel isn't something that should be done. Detective Pikachu worked well as a stand alone movie and if we get more live action movies, they should follow other games.

BCVM22

I think they will make a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon movie where Harry Goodman is turned back into a Pikachu, Tim Goodman is also turned into a Pokemon and they go on adventures through mysterious dungeons

They will almost certainly not do this. There would be zero general appeal to that. It would be a movie for the few hundred thousand people who would go see a movie titled "Pokémon Mystery Dungeon."

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
So the making-of book has been out a couple of weeks now or something like that (maybe a month, I dunno), and today my copy came in. It's a gorgeous book right off the bat, it's thick, has a cool sleeve, it's well-laid out, and it has some neat little memorabilia tucked away inside the pages. Been reading it off and on today because it's a lot to take in, but I adored the production news these last few months so much I just had to have it. Its U.S. retail price is $85, but it's worth it if you're interested in it. I can relay things from it if needs be, maybe have a couple of pictures here and there if anyone's interested in the details.

For starters, this really cool concept art is directly inside the cover when you first open it:
14cd0df444fc7f36da823a266aa2fcbcb3864d43.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.