1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by AuraChannelerChris, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Shift

Shift I'll learn you good!

Didn't see this anywhere, but here's the sprite art from the credits recreated in game form:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. shoz999

shoz999 The Legend of Mudkip

Oh cool. A wild Ryan Reynolds! What generation is it from?

3. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie "It is my destiny."

Seriously missed opportunity to reuse the Yellow sprite for the right one.

4. solarhorse

solarhorse Member

My line of thinking is that movies that are targeted at children don't always have to cost that much (unless we're looking at a well established studio like Pixar who can afford to spend more on production) because big, expensive spectacle isn't necessarily what's needed to satisfy young children. Look at the Paddington movies, the Lego movies or the movies from Illumination studios. Though they use 3D animation in some capacity, they're not very expensive to make, yet they still manage to find enough success for subsequent movies. In the case of Detective Pikachu, it's obvious that they need some of the expense to craft the world of Pokemon (and rightly so, Ryme city is a wonder to behold), but if such a large amount of effort is going to be made, a wider net is going to have to be cast to included audiences who are older and aren't normally interested in Pokemon.

That's understandable. I just think that the medium of animation can allow for so much creativity outside of what the annual movies usually aim for. Personally, I'd love to see what Pokemon would look like in a more experimental style of animation, and I'd like to think that such a film could find a niche alongside the established Pokemon movies.

5. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

I don't know, Detective Pikachu (for whatever reason) had that white patch of fur on its stomach, which was only present in the Red/Blue sprites, and not the Yellow.

6. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Unova Bound

I've got a question regarding the whole Mr. Mime scene. Since it's implied Tim dropped the imaginary match into the gasoline and sets Mr. Mime on fire would that leave him with a burn status?

Monster Guy and WishIhadaManafi5 like this.
  7. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie "It is my destiny."

My Pikachu plush came in today. He's so fuzzy~ <3
    [​IMG]

WishIhadaManafi5 and Monster Guy like this.
  8. keithpetrosky

keithpetrosky Well-Known Member

I loved the movie! I hope for a part 2, or at least another live action movie but with Team Rocket, and my favorite Pokémon Porygon on some computer hacker plot ;)

9. Monster Guy

Monster Guy Slurpuff and Alcremie both deserve love

They're never gonna put Porygon in anything after the seizure incident that wasn't it's fault.

IRL Porygon would be interesting to see though.

anjunajake and keithpetrosky like this.
  10. Game2016

Game2016 Well-Known Member

For all we know, Porygon would look identical to his in-game 3D model because its a man-made virtual being.

11. keithpetrosky

keithpetrosky Well-Known Member

On the big screen it would have a 3-d look finally and probably a clear body with some shine where the light hits. Still what an Uber looking Pokémon and techno sounding voice, and so much plot potential

anjunajake and BTS_fan like this.
  12. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Thunder Trainer

Probably just a few of my favorite Pokémon like Dewott, Zebstrika, & Alolan Exeggutor.

We kind of already have that with Sun & Moon, The Power of Us, & the upcoming Mewtwo remake

13. ballinamon

ballinamon Active Member

Hello, actually I'm new in the forum. So I see the movie, it was pretty good, more that it have right to be. The style of the city make me think of being a part of Unova, also a lot of GenV Pokemon.

Omar Chaparro have a Charizard, I...I don't know how to feel about that.

14. greninjamaster

greninjamaster Well-Known Member

Ryan talks about having read the script for sequel at the 1:50 mark.

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  15. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

With how the movie ended it should be interesting to see how a sequel would work
    Is Ryan going to go back inside his Pikachu again?

16. BenLee really not taken

BenLee really not taken Captain Obvious

I don't think they will make a direct sequel focusing on the same casts.

17. solarhorse

solarhorse Member

I think they will
    make a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon movie where Harry Goodman is turned back into a Pikachu, Tim Goodman is also turned into a Pokemon and they go on adventures through mysterious dungeons

BTS_fan and Monster Guy like this.
  18. AvatarKorrina

I thought that the movie was good but that a sequel isn't something that should be done. Detective Pikachu worked well as a stand alone movie and if we get more live action movies, they should follow other games.

BTS_fan likes this.
  19. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

They will almost certainly not do this. There would be zero general appeal to that. It would be a movie for the few hundred thousand people who would go see a movie titled "Pokémon Mystery Dungeon."

20. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Where's the KISS concert at?"

A sequel suddenly changing into something else is so unheard of, and it would deviate too much from the spinoff it was actually taking cues from. Oh, and from Detective Pikachu to Mystery Dungeon...the transition makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not sure we can uncover spoilers in quotations, though. Can we?