• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
THIS IS SO DISTURBING! SO ANY POKEMON WITH CLOTHES ON IS ACTUALLY FLESH CLOTHES!

Sorry, but how is it disturbing? If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. How would Pokémon in the wild have access to clothes? Of course it's not clothes, it really couldn't be anything else.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Sorry, but how is it disturbing? If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. How would Pokémon in the wild have access to clothes? Of course it's not clothes, it really couldn't be anything else.
You mean to tell me these fantastic creatures capable of nuking cities at a moment's notice can't magically be granted clothes upon hitting puberty in the span on a second.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You mean to tell me these fantastic creatures capable of nuking cities at a moment's notice can't magically be granted clothes upon hitting puberty in the span on a second.

I mean, I suppose they could. But that's no reason to assume that they do.

Pokemon Power

So there's gonna be 60 Pokemon species in the film, both for main characters and background appearances. A small number, but understandable for a big movie.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

greninjamaster

So there's gonna be 60 Pokemon species in the film, both for main characters and background appearances. A small number, but understandable for a big movie.

We've only seen around 20-25 in both trailers combined. So over 40 are still unknown. Plus got to save debuts for the next films in the PCU. ;)

Pokemon Power

We've only seen around 20-25 in both trailers combined. So over 40 are still unknown. Plus got to save debuts for the next films in the PCU. ;)
Let's see, there's Pikachu of course, and I've also seen Charmander, Dodrio, Flabebe, Comfey, Psyduck, Emolga, Squritle, Pancham, Bulbasaur, Morelull, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Greninja, Rufflet, Mr. Mime, Joltik, Ludicolo, Growlithe, Arcanine, Golurk, Snorlax, Machamp, Snubbull, Lickitung, Loudred, Blastoise, Gengar, Cubone, Flareon, Aipom, Rattata, Audino, and Mewtwo. That's 34 so far.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Where do those ones come from? I don't remember seeing them anywhere.

You can see Golett with the Golurk, Venasaur's in the background in about two scenes in the first trailer (first scene of Tim walking into the plaza, then in the marketplace), Bouffalant is in the background in the plaza first trailer, and you can see an Octillery in the wide shot of the arena where Pikachu's struggling to conduct electricity.

There's also a Braviary in the plaza, so make that 41.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You can see Golett with the Golurk, Venasaur's in the background in about two scenes in the first trailer (first scene of Tim walking into the plaza, then in the marketplace), Bouffalant is in the background in the plaza first trailer, and you can see an Octillery in the wide shot of the arena where Pikachu's struggling to conduct electricity.

Come to think of it, I do remember seeing Venusaur and Golett. I'll need to look for Octillery again.

Pokemon Power

I didn't see Golett. Are you sure you're not mistaking Squirtle for one?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I didn't see Golett. Are you sure you're not mistaking Squirtle for one?

Might've been, I could've sworn I saw Golett in that shot (but maybe they train them soooo). But we forgot about Treecko, so 41 known Pokémon still stands.

In other weird miscellaneous news, reportedly the VFX team were test casting Danny DeVito. (So what they did is they just had a rough animation of Pikachu and used lines from movies and TV to see how it would look/feel/sound coming out of the character.)

Before Detective Pikachu the video game was even localized for North America, the internet wanted to see Danny DeVito voice Pikachu. When the film was announced the internet’s fervor for DeVito-Pikachu only grew, but the role went to Ryan Reynolds. We visited the set of Pokémon Detective Pikachu in April 2018 and we asked Producer Cale Boyter if they were aware of the demand and whether or not he was considered. “We definitely thought about it and how it might inform the spirit of it. Danny is incredible by the way. I am a huge fan of Danny DeVito,” Boyter says.

When they were thinking about who to cast as Pikachu, VFX producer Greg Baxter says he and his team took lines from assorted actors’ past roles and animated an early version of Pikachu to the audio to see how it looked. Danny DeVito was one of the actors they did a test for. “It was really very funny, so I couldn’t speak to all the reasons why it wasn’t Danny DeVito cast,” Baxter says. “I love Danny and some point maybe after the movie comes about, we can share those early tests. It’s absolutely hilarious.”

Boyter also offered up a strange, cryptic tease saying, “I can’t give away too much, but in terms of where the story goes and how it evolves, we had to sort of look at everything, including what fans weren’t seeing yet to make the decision. But that spirit of Danny DeVito, I promise you, is still inside of Pikachu.” When I said that sounds like a great quote for the movie's poster, Boyter laughed and said, "By the way, Ryan would probably love that."

Lady Umbreon

Might've been, I could've sworn I saw Golett in that shot (but maybe they train them soooo). But we forgot about Treecko, so 41 known Pokémon still stands.

Before Detective Pikachu the video game was even localized for North America, the internet wanted to see Danny DeVito voice Pikachu. When the film was announced the internet’s fervor for DeVito-Pikachu only grew, but the role went to Ryan Reynolds. We visited the set of Pokémon Detective Pikachu in April 2018 and we asked Producer Cale Boyter if they were aware of the demand and whether or not he was considered. “We definitely thought about it and how it might inform the spirit of it. Danny is incredible by the way. I am a huge fan of Danny DeVito,” Boyter says.

When they were thinking about who to cast as Pikachu, VFX producer Greg Baxter says he and his team took lines from assorted actors’ past roles and animated an early version of Pikachu to the audio to see how it looked. Danny DeVito was one of the actors they did a test for. “It was really very funny, so I couldn’t speak to all the reasons why it wasn’t Danny DeVito cast,” Baxter says. “I love Danny and some point maybe after the movie comes about, we can share those early tests. It’s absolutely hilarious.”

Boyter also offered up a strange, cryptic tease saying, “I can’t give away too much, but in terms of where the story goes and how it evolves, we had to sort of look at everything, including what fans weren’t seeing yet to make the decision. But that spirit of Danny DeVito, I promise you, is still inside of Pikachu.” When I said that sounds like a great quote for the movie's poster, Boyter laughed and said, "By the way, Ryan would probably love that."

In other weird miscellaneous news, reportedly the VFX team were test casting Danny DeVito. (So what they did is they just had a rough animation of Pikachu and used lines from movies and TV to see how it would look/feel/sound coming out of the character.)

This tells me they were concerned about more than just the vocal performance. Now I'm more certain than ever of the prediction I made back on page 2 of this thread:

Ryan Reynolds is also playing Harry Goodman.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

I don't get it, what's up with the obsession of Dany DeVito playing Detective Pikachu? I didn't understand back when the game came out, and I still don't understand it now.

Ryan Reynolds is also playing Harry Goodman.

Okay, that would make sense given the game's plot, but how would it make sense given the actors? The actor playing Tim isn't exactly the same race as Ryan Reynolds.

EDIT: Just after posting this, I realized that the easy answer would be that Tim is of mixed heritage. Not the kind of thing you'd expect, but a logical answer. Perhaps even done on purpose to make the twist harder to guess.

Lady Umbreon

Okay, that would make sense given the game's plot, but how would it make sense given the actors? The actor playing Tim isn't exactly the same race as Ryan Reynolds.

EDIT: Just after posting this, I realized that the easy answer would be that Tim is of mixed heritage. Not the kind of thing you'd expect, but a logical answer. Perhaps even done on purpose to make the twist harder to guess.

The easy answer is more accurate than you realize.

Justice Smith is biracial. His father is African American, his mother is Italian & French-Canadian.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The easy answer is more accurate than you realize.

Justice Smith is biracial. His father is African American, his mother is Italian & French-Canadian.

Well there you go. Didn't know that. Works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.