• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mockingjay

swift and lol
Sonic of all things is actually going to dethrone Detective Pikachu...

I don’t know who over at WB thought the release date for DP (right after Endgame) was a good idea - it really hurt this movie’s potential box office gross and now the idea of a sequel or a prequel is never going to see the light of day with WB/Legendary.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

I don’t know who over at WB thought the release date for DP (right after Endgame) was a good idea - it really hurt this movie’s potential box office gross and now the idea of a sequel or a prequel is never going to see the light of day with WB/Legendary.

Why wouldn't Detective Pikachu get a sequel? At the time of release, everyone, including the makers of the movie, were very positive about the possibility of a sequel. What's changed since then? And if anything, Sonic dethroning Detective Pikachu just shows that video game movies have even more potential than people may have thought, opening the door for more Pokémon movies.

BCVM22

None of these have anything to do with one another.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
If the Sonic movie does better than Detective Pikachu, that's something to celebrate as Bguy7 said. People will say Rampage was the first to break the "video game movie curse", maybe even Warcraft or even (technically, especially since the late Roger Ebert liked it) Wreck-It Ralph, but if we're getting video game adaptations that have a positive reception, even a good box office opening, then that means there's a shift in the tide. Fans of these video games have grown up now twenty-plus-years later, and some have even entered the film industry. And it's not just video games, it's anime, comic books, monster flicks, even freaking toys--a lot of niche genres/franchises are getting treated better through film than they were twenty years ago because the fans have such a strong passion for what they love, they're now doing their damndest to respect them in cinema. Or even if there aren't fans working on the film, they're paying attention to the reception and want to appease them, and some of those non-fans have even come to be fans towards the end of production.

Although it's not live-action, if the animated Mario movie does well (given it's Illumination, though... it'll make its money back, but critics might slam it--but Nintendo's on top of things), then that's a sign of things to come in the future of video game movies. Who knows, maybe we'll finally get that Metroid and Legend of Zelda movie, or better.

Laying off a whole studio must have really saved them a pretty penny.

Ooooof. Just oof.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
An idea for a Cinematic Universe movie I had was a movie exploring the origins of the Aether Foundation in the 1960s and 1970s, showing the events that led to its formation and the organization's early years of operation.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Outside of hiring a screenwriter, there hasn't been much news on the sequel so I have to wonder is it actually happening?

We'll hear something once production begins. It hasn't yet been a year since the movie was released to theaters. It takes a while to write a script, but then it goes through multiple drafts through different people, mostly. It's gonna be a while, but I think Legendary's going to wait to announce things (if it's happening) until sometime after Godzilla vs Kong comes out.

BCVM22

Outside of hiring a screenwriter, there hasn't been much news on the sequel so I have to wonder is it actually happening?

There's no basis on which to wonder that (yet).

Movies take time to produce. A script has to be written, rewritten, thrown out, written again, and rewritten again. The director has to be contracted for another film, or a new one has to be found. The director and actor schedules have to be set - Ryan Reynolds isn't sitting there at home, waiting for the phone to ring so he can get back under the motion capture cameras. A production crew has to be assembled, or re-assembled. Shooting locations have to be approved. The film has to be budgeted.

Detective Pikachu was announced nearly three years ahead of the eventual release. Don't be surprised if a sequel takes that long or longer.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
There's no basis on which to wonder that (yet).

Movies take time to produce. A script has to be written, rewritten, thrown out, written again, and rewritten again. The director has to be contracted for another film, or a new one has to be found. The director and actor schedules have to be set - Ryan Reynolds isn't sitting there at home, waiting for the phone to ring so he can get back under the motion capture cameras. A production crew has to be assembled, or re-assembled. Shooting locations have to be approved. The film has to be budgeted.

Detective Pikachu was announced nearly three years ahead of the eventual release. Don't be surprised if a sequel takes that long or longer.
It's also worth keeping in mind that the film may not have made enough profit to justfy sequels, it's box office did reportedly fall below expectations. Worldwide box office minus production budget doesn't equal profit, you also need to factor in however much was spent on advertising (more often than not that's about the same amount as, or more than, the production budget) and the percentage of money cinemas take for themselves, so it's completely possible that even if Detective Pikachu is profitable (which I'd say it most likely is), it may not have been profitable enough for Warner and Legendary to feel it's worth making more Pokemon films. And I say all of this as someone who loved the film and wants a sequel. Hopefully though Sonic the Hedgehog's recent success may prompt Warner and Legendary to move forward with a sequel.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It's also worth keeping in mind that the film may not have made enough profit to justfy sequels, it's box office did reportedly fall below expectations. Worldwide box office minus production budget doesn't equal profit, you also need to factor in however much was spent on advertising (more often than not that's about the same amount as, or more than, the production budget) and the percentage of money cinemas take for themselves, so it's completely possible that even if Detective Pikachu is profitable (which I'd say it most likely is), it may not have been profitable enough for Warner and Legendary to feel it's worth making more Pokemon films. And I say all of this as someone who loved the film and wants a sequel. Hopefully though Sonic the Hedgehog's recent success may prompt Warner and Legendary to move forward with a sequel.

He's not saying we're ensured a sequel, he's just saying that there's been nothing to confirm we won't get one.

And then there's all that talk about a sequel being given the go ahead back around the time the movie first came out. Of course, those plans may have changed, but right now we're in a position where a sequel is a very real possibility.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Even if the box office fell short of projection, there's home video and merchandise to take in account. Some movies pick up steam outside of theaters, and even some sequels got green-lit because home video sales were high.

Whether a sequel happens or not, we should just be glad the movie was even made and finished in the first place. Not every movie needs a cinematic universe. Honestly the only sequels I'm hoping for at this point are a second Alita movie (that's in the same boat as Pikachu) and more Legendary Godzilla movies, which also had a low box office, especially compared to the 2014 Godzilla movie. No word yet on more films after Godzilla vs Kong, but at least Toho's planning on making more of their own.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
After re-watching it I think it's safe to say that the Movie's villain is a big fan of the Mystery Dungeon Games.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Detective Pikachu has been out for nearly a year I gotta say my feelings are about the same when I first watched it. Seeing all the Pokemon in a realistic style is interesting but cant get over how ridiculous the plot is. Pokemon may have supernatural abilities but an old man wanting to use Mewtwo to merge humans and Pokemon is a bit out there. I could go list all my gripes with the film but wont since it's just a film meant to entertain and distract us.

Nyter

Island Challenger
Is it too much too ask for a Super Smash Bros. Cinematic Universe? I mean Woth Pokemon: Detective Pikachu a d Sonic The Hedgehog live action movies out, maybe others will follow suit and form what could be an even better cinematic universe over any other... wishful thinking!

Status
Not open for further replies.