• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Hello, all. I searched the whole forum if there was a real place to even discuss this movie, and there wasn't. And given I didn't find general discussion topics in the movie boards (because you can only ever discuss movies after they're officially released), I decided to make a thread about here in general stuff.

So yeah, this movie is eventually coming out for the whole world (being created by western people and all) someday in the future. Discuss anything regarding the movie.

As for our first piece of juicy info, Ryan "Deadpool" Reynolds is voicing our detective.

And just so you know or remember, the script is being done by Alex Hirsch of Gravity Falls fame. That alone immediately increases the quality to be expected.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I feel like this should be one of the sticky threads so it won't be a dead thread sometime after the movie releases. It's not like an entire movie series, it's a single movie currently.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Detective Pikachu just looks bad in my opinion. He makes me feel like I’m on drugs with how weird his eyes are and the odd way his fur sticks out. He’s like some rejected Muppet and I don’t like his design. That’s my opinion on what we are given so far. And I’m surprised Ryan Reynolds even wants to do a fully CGI role given how bad received the movie he wore a CGI suit was.

shoz999

Honestly that Pikachu reminds me of a teddy bear plushie. He looks SO FLUFFY.

BCVM22

And I’m surprised Ryan Reynolds even wants to do a fully CGI role given how bad received the movie he wore a CGI suit was.

I think he was probably very willing to sit in a recording booth for a week and collect a generous paycheck to do nothing but record snarky dialogue.

I don't think the shared CGI element - itself not really that shared - factored in to his willingness to take the role.

Scammel

This looks fine. Pokémon IRL will be a novelty if nothing else, and my expectations for the script are low enough that I'll struggle to be disappointed.

mtqc

MY BEANS!
I was worried these designs would look like those edgy and over-the-top gross paintings people like to do for "realistic" Pokemon... very relieved they're all quite cute and not too terribly uncanny. Except Jigglypuff... yeesh.

Anyway, pretty excited, it looks cute and fun. Pleasantly surprised to see at least one or two Pokemon that aren't the original 151 in this, too.

Now, where's the Pikachu plush? gimmegimmegimme ;-;

shoz999

Honestly they just look like their cartoony artwork with realistic layers on top of them. Look at Greninja for example, he literally just looks like Greninja from the games but more slippery-like.

Evanibble

The concept seemed silly to me at first, but after watching the trailer it actually doesn't look half bad. The Pokemon look about as realistic as they'll ever get, and Ryan Reynolds as a snarky Pikachu seems like it'll be a good time, even if the plot is lacking.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Honestly they just look like their cartoony artwork with realistic layers on top of them. Look at Greninja for example, he literally just looks like Greninja from the games but more slippery-like.
Exactly. The fact that they resemble their game selves is a major redeeming factor.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
That was less of a disaster than I expected, and I was actually amused by some scenes. Ryan Reynolds is a huge plus.

Not the biggest fan of some designs (lol Jigglypuff's gonna follow me in my nightmares), but I like Pikachu.

shoz999

All the Pokémon look so fluffy! Even Charizard looks fluffy, and I don’t think Charizard should be fluffy.

I’m probably going to end up seeing this movie by myself.
Huh. Jigglypuff kind of looks like a cute gremlin from your avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.