• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
From the looks of it, the movie-verse appears to be set in a universe more closer to the games based on one clue, a clue that hints that we could be getting that rumored movie based on the game-verse but unfortunately for the anime fans, the movie-verse appears to be not set in a universe more closer to the anime due to this very same clue, a detail that most people often overlook.

And that is none other than the fact that the movie simply states that you start your Pokemon journey at age 11. It might not be a big deal to most of you but it's an interesting hint to those heavily invested in the lore of the Pokemon series as 11 is the age that most Pokemon trainers start their Pokemon journey in the games and is completely ignored by the anime in the favor of the age 10 and in-reverse the games ignore the anime's age 10 standard in favor of the age 11. Interesting clue don't you think?

I don't think that's major at all.

If they make a live-action movie of the Pokémon anime featuring Ash Ketchum, they would have to throw away the whole 10-year old rule regardless. It is difficult to find an actual ten-year old to play the role of Ash. And it's virtually impossible to keep him 10 years old for a series of movies. One of the reasons why they went Tim Goodman as a teenager rather than a child is because he'll be virtually easier to be portrayed in live-action.

The only reason why Ash is 10 years old (and remains 10 years old) is thanks to animation and a voice seiyuu who can still make him sound young even after decades of playing the role. The moment he becomes live-action, the equation changes just like how the timeless Marvel Comics have to accommodate real-life aging in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

11-year olds are essentially much easier to do then 10-year olds.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I don't think that's major at all.

If they make a live-action movie of the Pokémon anime featuring Ash Ketchum, they would have to throw away the whole 10-year old rule regardless. It is difficult to find an actual ten-year old to play the role of Ash. And it's virtually impossible to keep him 10 years old for a series of movies. One of the reasons why they went Tim Goodman as a teenager rather than a child is because he'll be virtually easier to be portrayed in live-action.

The only reason why Ash is 10 years old (and remains 10 years old) is thanks to animation and a voice seiyuu who can still make him sound young even after decades of playing the role. The moment he becomes live-action, the equation changes just like how the timeless Marvel Comics have to accommodate real-life aging in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

11-year olds are essentially much easier to do then 10-year olds.
Honestly I kind of had a hunch they would do that because it's just the easy way out. From the western studios point of view, would it be easier looking at the massive gargantuan continuity of the anime and try to adapt that endless continuity or would you just do what Disney did and start a fresh new clean slate, building on and loosely adapting the tightly connected games while borrowing pieces and ideas here from other continuities, creating your own canon?

Shadao

Honestly I kind of had a hunch they would do that because it's just the easy way out. From the western studios point of view, would it be easier looking at the massive gargantuan continuity of the anime and try to adapt that endless continuity or would you just do what Disney did and start a fresh new clean slate, building on and loosely adapting the tightly connected games while borrowing pieces and ideas here from other continuities, creating your own canon?

Was there ever a live-action comic book adaptation that was directly lift scene by scene in cinema history? Maybe for Watchmen or some one-shot graphic novel. But never a long-running franchise like Batman or Superman.

Regardless, however, I think it would be wiser to take a page from Pokémon: The Power of Us and Pokémon: Dtective Pikachu for future cinematic ventures. I mean, it's a lot easier to use the entire Pokédex rather than limit yourself to one regional variety of Pokémon. And more lively. Far better than contrived reasons to limit Kanto to just 151 Pokémon. And quite frankly, Pokémon works best as a character-driven narrative. Why waste time with game plots when you can focus on one trainer and their team of Pokémon? That's how the best Pokémon stories are made.

Zipper4242

Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.
Did anyone else get the Sonic trailer in front of the film? I think it's a sly jab at it to pair a horrific trailer in front of a film that handled CGI cartoon monsters better.
I did! It was hilarious how my theater collectively groaned as the Sonic trailer began. People were literally booing it as the entire hedgehog was shown. To me seeing Sonic on the big screen was worth the ticket price alone (but the movie was FANTASTIC!!!!! I absolutely loved it! Completely went above all expectations, probably going to go see it again next weekend if not sooner) :-D

BenLee really not taken

Hey everyone, Bhrjr here.
I did! It was hilarious how my theater collectively groaned as the Sonic trailer began. People were literally booing it as the entire hedgehog was shown. To me seeing Sonic on the big screen was worth the ticket price alone (but the movie was FANTASTIC!!!!! I absolutely loved it! Completely went above all expectations, probably going to go see it again next weekend if not sooner) :-D
Huh. For me, people did laugh at some jokes from Eggman.
Also, him saying "Bolt of Brilliance" here would have been cheesy.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Was there ever a live-action comic book adaptation that was directly lift scene by scene in cinema history? Maybe for Watchmen or some one-shot graphic novel. But never a long-running franchise like Batman or Superman.

Regardless, however, I think it would be wiser to take a page from Pokémon: The Power of Us and Pokémon: Dtective Pikachu for future cinematic ventures. I mean, it's a lot easier to use the entire Pokédex rather than limit yourself to one regional variety of Pokémon. And more lively. Far better than contrived reasons to limit Kanto to just 151 Pokémon. And quite frankly, Pokémon works best as a character-driven narrative. Why waste time with game plots when you can focus on one trainer and their team of Pokémon? That's how the best Pokémon stories are made.
So we both agree that the western studios will take the easy route. Also the Power of Us. It's a great movie with childhood nostalgia glasses but honestly when you take off the nostalgia glasses, it feels quite lacking compared to other Pokemon films in terms of art direction, animation and character driven plot with some noticeable terrible decision making Ash does, for example the Charizard-sled ride? Why not just use Charizard himself? I agree that Pokemon works best as a character-driven story, Pokemon Adventures is easily the best example of this but I don't think the Power of Us should be one of those Pokemon movies that should be taken a page from except for references. Personally I think that goes to Pokemon Movie 3, but that's just me.

Also why not limit Kanto to just 151 Pokemon? Quite frankly, the greatest strength that amazes audiences the most is your limitations. I'm not saying it's impossible to make a good film beyond 151 but I think an amazing film is even more possible if you limit yourself, make use of what you have before you start expanding. It's through this rule of how the best stories are made in-general and how Detective Pikachu is not only a good Pokemon film, it's just a good film for kids to watch in-general.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i saw the detective pokemon yesterday, i liked it alot though there was the over the top plot to round it out. there was one thing that bugged me out a fair amount. the pokemon company CEO was North American ie not of Asian descent. i understand its a movie made by an American dierctor but they generally love to have the spotlight in the good/badguy position. its not a race thing but it doesnt fit the story as well as if they put an Asian actor for the top position. still didnt catch a glimpse of the Flygon line in that film but thats wishful thinking on my part.

i was pretty happy on how they animated the pokemon to appear in a real form though i'll never look at Greninja in the same light... or for that matter, Torterra.

Last edited:
There is no Red/Blue movie adaption or a Mewtwo-spin off in the works. We Got this Covered is notorious in the movie industry and community for generating fake "scoops" for ad revenue. It's not real and the rumor screamed fake anyway as it's not something I envision TCPi ever allowing anyway.

Do people really think it's a coincidence that it has taken TCPi over twenty years to finally allow a movie studio to adapt their property in Hollywood?

Rob Letterman, the director of the movie, said that TCPi were very protective of anyone doing a live-action movie as they wanted something that "needed to be perfect, and not just a repeat of the last 20 years of Pokémon media" and that they "really wanted to have a reason to do it, when they had told so many stories in the anime and the games".

Thank. Freaking. GOD.

At least TCPi also realizes how much they've retold Kanto...

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
i was pretty happy on how they animated the pokemon to appear in a real form though i'll never look at Greninja in the same light... or for that matter, Torterra.

I thought the Torterra was clever, like it had a nice set-up with the lab where they were doing growth enhancement experiments on them, which makes you wonder "Uh... why would they do that?" But then the pay off for that was just really cool with the Torterra Garden, but it doesn't feel out of place for the Pokemon to be that huge, either. Like even though it was artificially triggered, who's to say they can't get that big naturally? They're rock tortoises, they probably live a long-ass time. And given the design of what it's based off of (although personally I always think back to Morla), I can totally see Torterra be as big as a mountain.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
there was one thing that bugged me out a fair amount. the pokemon company CEO was North American ie not of Asian descent. i understand its a movie made by an American dierctor but they generally love to have the spotlight in the good/badguy position. its not a race thing but it doesnt fit the story as well as if they put an Asian actor for the top position.

Sorry, but what? Why would it have fit any better? It's not like the Pokémon world is all Japanese people. As far as we know, Ryme City isn't even in the "Asian" portion of the Pokémon world.

I thought the Torterra was clever, like it had a nice set-up with the lab where they were doing growth enhancement experiments on them, which makes you wonder "Uh... why would they do that?" But then the pay off for that was just really cool with the Torterra Garden, but it doesn't feel out of place for the Pokemon to be that huge, either. Like even though it was artificially triggered, who's to say they can't get that big naturally? They're rock tortoises, they probably live a long-ass time. And given the design of what it's based off of (although personally I always think back to Morla), I can totally see Torterra be as big as a mountain.

I don't know, I feel like the Torterra scene was the one thing that broke my suspension of disbelief. I agree that the scene itself was great, but it just left me with too many questions. How did they dig themselves into the ground? How have they not destroyed the land around them? How do they not cause earthquakes simply by breathing? What do they eat? I loved the scene, but still.

Shadao

So we both agree that the western studios will take the easy route. Also the Power of Us. It's a great movie with childhood nostalgia glasses but honestly when you take off the nostalgia glasses, it feels quite lacking compared to other Pokemon films in terms of art direction, animation and character driven plot with some noticeable terrible decision making Ash does, for example the Charizard-sled ride? Why not just use Charizard himself? I agree that Pokemon works best as a character-driven story, Pokemon Adventures is easily the best example of this but I don't think the Power of Us should be one of those Pokemon movies that should be taken a page from except for references. Personally I think that goes to Pokemon Movie 3, but that's just me.

Also why not limit Kanto to just 151 Pokemon? Quite frankly, the greatest strength that amazes audiences the most is your limitations. I'm not saying it's impossible to make a good film beyond 151 but I think an amazing film is even more possible if you limit yourself, make use of what you have before you start expanding. It's through this rule of how the best stories are made in-general and how Detective Pikachu is not only a good Pokemon film, it's just a good film for kids to watch in-general.

I would say that The Power of Us is a great example of juggling several different characters with their own Pokémon partners and still feel balanced for the most part. And builds upon the world without heavy exposition that you would find in other Pokémon movies. It's not as bombastic as Pokémon 3, but it has enough heart to give us a living, breathing world of Pokémon.

And when I say no limitation to Pokémon, I mean the Pokémon World should be allowed to use any Pokémon that makes sense with the environment rather than slavishly going for Generation I. Like Pikachu with Pichu offsprings. Or Wingull flying across the Kanto sea with Wailord surfacing the waves.

Sorry, but what? Why would it have fit any better? It's not like the Pokémon world is all Japanese people. As far as we know, Ryme City isn't even in the "Asian" portion of the Pokémon world.

Ryme City in the games has always given me the impression of being a more Western place but I do see a lot of Japanese and Chinese influence in the architecture, alphabet format, streets, and bullet trains. Of course, it could be just a typical, cultural odorless melting pot of a city, so it doesn't matter if the guy who built the city was Bill Nighly.

Kein

AKA Silktree
There is no Red/Blue movie adaption or a Mewtwo-spin off in the works. We Got this Covered is notorious in the movie industry and community for generating fake "scoops" for ad revenue. It's not real and the rumor screamed fake anyway as it's not something I envision TCPi ever allowing anyway.
I'm going to need receipts for that.

Do people really think it's a coincidence that it has taken TCPi over twenty years to finally allow a movie studio to adapt their property in Hollywood?
They needed a safe debut (light on battles and related terms) that would ease newcomers into the world of Pokemon, but that doesn't mean they'll keep avoiding the established regions like the plague. There is an article about keeping an open mind about what's next:

“[Pokémon is] such a rich universe. There are so many ways you can go inside of it,” Mendes said. “We're trying to get the first movie right, and then once we've done that, we'll see where we go from there, but absolutely. There are a lot of opportunities.”
I see no reason why they wouldn't even consider a Red/Blue adaptation, even if they end up going for something else.

Rob Letterman, the director of the movie, said that TCPi were very protective of anyone doing a live-action movie as they wanted something that "needed to be perfect, and not just a repeat of the last 20 years of Pokémon media" and that they "really wanted to have a reason to do it, when they had told so many stories in the anime and the games".
If they took enough liberties as they did with Detective Pikachu relative to the game, then it wouldn't be a repeat.

Last edited:

mockingjay

swift and lol
I'm going to need receipts for that.

Huh? Do you have receipts of any of their scoops that have ended up true?

They are known within the movie community for being fake. Search up 'we got this covered fake news' on Twitter or Reddit. Anyone who follows the movie industry can attest to the fact that WGTC is fake news.

If there was an actual Red/Blue movie or a Mewtwo spin-off (this just sounds plain stupid) in development, WB would have that information with the trades months ago. They would have wanted to leverage on the idea that the movie series had so much potential that spin-offs were already being considered to generate buzz for the Detective Pikachu movie. That is why they released info to Variety (and the trades) in January that they had hired a writer to write a sequel to Detective Pikachu - because this generates good buzz and publicity.

Some quotes:

After finally securing the rights (thanks in large part to the popularity of Pokémon Go), The Pokémon Company remained — understandably — protective of the IP. This needed to be perfect, and not just a repeat of the last 20 years of Pokémon media.

”[The Pokémon Company] really wanted to have a reason to do it, when they had told so many stories in the anime and the games,” says co-writer Benji Samit. “Detective Pikachuwas a smaller game, but it’s an offshoot of the world where you’ve got talking Pokemon, too. You’ve got humans in Pokemon living in harmony, which is like a side of the universe that we’ve never seen before.”

“Part of [The Pokémon Company’s] conceit for Detective Pikachu was to create a new region, Ryme City, that had a new set of rules,” Detective Pikachu director Rob Letterman told Polygon. “The Pokémon Company wanted to have the Pokémon not be in pokeballs. They wanted a region where humans and Pokémon had a different, elevated relationship where they co-existed. The Pokémon could be human beings’ familiars.”

According to Benji Samit, a screenwriter on Detective Pikachu, avoiding battles was one of the “bigger challenges” of writing the movie. The Pokémon Company was “very protective” of the franchise, and wanted to have a good reason to take on a live-action movie. Detective Pikachu, which is an offshoot of the main franchise, proved to be fertile ground for the project, which aimed to show people “a side of the universe that we’ve never seen before in the anime or anything like that,” Samit said.

TCPi don't want a rehash of what has already come before, that is why the spin-off games are so drastically different from the main series games. They don't want a Red/Blue movie, and if general audiences are lukewarm towards something like Detective Pikachu that is more mainstream and consumer-friendly, then I highly doubt a movie pandering towards the game fans are going to peak their further peak their interest. And when your movie costs hundreds of millions of dollars, you'd want to be aiming for everyone - not just the fans of the source material.

M.P.

Retired
Saw the movie today. I have to say it's probably the best movie based on a video game I've seen (though, to be fair, I haven't really seen that many).

The plot was alright and I really liked how the Pokemon looked, usually when they make cartoony video game characters look realistic they end up looking like abominations, luckily this wasn't the case in this one.

Also, I'm glad both of my favorite Pokemon made it to the movie.

BCVM22

Good, it made back its budget and some extra. We may get more Pokémon movies in the future. :D

$170 million worldwide isn't the break-even point for a $150 million movie, because the latter figure doesn't factor in promotion and publicity costs and the other monetary factors that are involved in the movie without actually being part of the film's production. It'll probably get there, but it's not there yet, and even then, the break-even point isn't the goal - you want the film to be well above that, because that's what the studio will look at.

But with that said, to anyone worrying about the reviews or the box office totals: don't.

It's a live-action Pokémon film. A literal film in which realistic CGI Pokémon appear alongside actual humans. That the movie got made at all is a big step, and better still, the movie doesn't appear to be a flaming dumpster of a film (which, no one thought it would be, but you can never be sure). Those two milestones are the accomplishments, and short of the movie either being a colossal box office flop (it probably won't be) or a colossal box office juggernaut (it probably won't be), the numbers aren't going to tell us much about what might come next. Reaching a certain number doesn't mean "OMG POKÉMON CINEMATIC UNIVERSE!" and failing to reach a certain number doesn't mean "OMG MOVIE IS FAIL!"

So don't worry about the box office numbers and don't worry about the reviews. The only important question is whether one individually enjoyed the film. Everything else is largely noise for right now.

Huh? Do you have receipts of any of their scoops that have ended up true?

They are known within the movie community for being fake. Search up 'we got this covered fake news' on Twitter or Reddit. Anyone who follows the movie industry can attest to the fact that WGTC is fake news.

If there was an actual Red/Blue movie or a Mewtwo spin-off (this just sounds plain stupid) in development, WB would have that information with the trades months ago. They would have wanted to leverage on the idea that the movie series had so much potential that spin-offs were already being considered to generate buzz for the Detective Pikachu movie. That is why they released info to Variety (and the trades) in January that they had hired a writer to write a sequel to Detective Pikachu - because this generates good buzz and publicity.

Some quotes:

TCPi don't want a rehash of what has already come before, that is why the spin-off games are so drastically different from the main series games. They don't want a Red/Blue movie, and if general audiences are lukewarm towards something like Detective Pikachu that is more mainstream and consumer-friendly, then I highly doubt a movie pandering towards the game fans are going to peak their further peak their interest. And when your movie costs hundreds of millions of dollars, you'd want to be aiming for everyone - not just the fans of the source material.

A Detective Pikachu sequel? There's one already in development?

Status
Not open for further replies.