• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Trust me, this is miles better than...what they did to Sonic in the teaser posters for his upcoming movie...

You know, I think I would have reacted to that a whole lot worse if I hadn't already gotten used to this sort of style from Detective Pikachu.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Trust me, this is miles better than...what they did to Sonic in the teaser posters for his upcoming movie...
At least the pokémon are still recognizable, even if Greninja and Psyduck are pure nightmare fuel

They completely revamped Sonic's design
DuO6pjVU0AAnn4l.jpg

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I appreciate those high-quality images of the cards Serebii posted. Gives us our first good look at Charizard and Greninja. Maybe I'm just getting used to them, but I must say, both look better than I thought they would.

Orphalesion

Jesus! Cherrytart looks terrible.... Why'd they make the wings look like they're covered in scabs? Dragons are usually depicted with leathery wings, not scaled ones...

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Oof... those cards just show how bad everything looks... at least the renders are better than they are in the actual movie though...

I'm pretty sure those are images straight out of the movie.

Jesus! Cherrytart looks terrible.... Why'd they make the wings look like they're covered in scabs? Dragons are usually depicted with leathery wings, not scaled ones...

Does it matter? Would it really look an better with leathery wings than scaled? (Also, that's a funny auto-correct.)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Same models, new renders.

What I mean to say is that I don't think they're renders, I think they're images taken straight from the movie. Just look at the Pikachu one, that one is certainly a scene directly from the movie, not a render made for the card.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
What I mean to say is that I don't think they're renders, I think they're images taken straight from the movie. Just look at the Pikachu one, that one is certainly a scene directly from the movie, not a render made for the card.

It's very clearly not...? The lighting conditions, composition AND background are completely different. All 3 shown are considerably posed and made specifically for each card.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The lighting conditions, composition AND background are completely different.

Completely different to what? It's not like we've seen the movie. Just because the lighting conditions and backgrounds don't look like anything we've seen so far, doesn't mean there aren't scenes in the movie that look like that.

All 3 shown are considerably posed and made specifically for each card.

Maybe Charizard and Greninja, but are you really going to tell me this looks like an image made specifically for a card, and not a movie scene?
POKEMON_Detective_Pikachu_TCG_Card.png

Orphalesion

Does it matter? Would it really look an better with leathery wings than scaled?

Yeah it does, because having the wings covered in scales 1) looks weird (even when talking about a made up creature) 2) looks like the inside of its wings is covered in scabs. which is ewww.

Last edited:

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Completely different to what? It's not like we've seen the movie. Just because the lighting conditions and backgrounds don't look like anything we've seen so far, doesn't mean there aren't scenes in the movie that look like that.

Maybe Charizard and Greninja, but are you really going to tell me this looks like an image made specifically for a card, and not a movie scene?
POKEMON_Detective_Pikachu_TCG_Card.png

It does not. Look at the background composition and the way it's shot. It's not a movie screencap

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
greninja-gx-pokemon-trading-card-game-220x.jpg
detective-pikachu-pokemon-trading-cardjpg-220x.jpg
charizard-gx-pokemon-trading-card-game-220x.jpg

Overall response can be summed up in two ways...

Casual Pokemon TCG Fans: I take it back! Greninja looks amazing!
Hardcore Pokemon TCG Fans: That's some OP bullshit.

For those who don't understand what I'm saying. That Greninja card lol is probably going to be banned soon from major tournaments.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
greninja-gx-pokemon-trading-card-game-220x.jpg
detective-pikachu-pokemon-trading-cardjpg-220x.jpg
charizard-gx-pokemon-trading-card-game-220x.jpg

Overall response can be summed up in two ways...

Casual Pokemon TCG Fans: I take it back! Greninja looks amazing!
Hardcore Pokemon TCG Fans: That's some OP bullshit.
Yeaaaaah. Pikachu’s eyes still creep me out with how dead looking they are when seen from a distance. The card looks like it has no eyes and just dark voidless holes where eyes should be.

Orphalesion

The Pikachu card kinda looks crap (visually I can't say anything about gameplay, I haven't played the TGC since I was like 9?) With the stock photo-like background, and most of the card being taken up by yellow emptiness it kinda looks like a fanmade card some created in Photoshop...

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It does not. Look at the background composition and the way it's shot. It's not a movie screencap

I don't really know what else to say. I am not at all seeing what you're saying. Sure, it could be original, but I see nothing to imply it is.

The Pikachu card kinda looks crap (visually I can't say anything about gameplay, I haven't played the TGC since I was like 9?) With the stock photo-like background, and most of the card being taken up by yellow emptiness it kinda looks like a fanmade card some created in Photoshop...

I certainly see what you're saying. To be fair though, I don't think there's much that could be done about it. The image is at the very least meant to look like it comes out of the movie, which what so many fake cards have their images come from, and any card with only one move is going to have that much empty space.

BCVM22

I don't really know what else to say. I am not at all seeing what you're saying. Sure, it could be original, but I see nothing to imply it is.

I think the problem here is you're not getting what's meant by "new render."

Being the entirely CGI creations that they are, the Pokémon models exist in a central computer at one of the VFX houses. Think of the models as not unlike action figures - the VFX artists can manipulate these models and pose them however they need (i.e. render them) for marketing purposes, like precisely what we're discussing. It is very likely that the marketing people ordered new renders of CGI Pikachu (and other Pokémon) with very specific instructions regarding pose and scale, and placed it over what's called an effects plate - a still image or footage that is shot solely so that visual effects can be transposed over it - and that's what's being used on the card art in all cases.

It is not likely they simply took footage from the film and pressed PAUSE and grabbed a screen capture every time they wanted to use a still image, because moving footage doesn't always present perfect still images when paused like that - there's often still motion blur at the edges or other artifacts that would make such captures unsuitable to use as marketing art.

My hope is this fills some of the gaps and creates a greater understanding for everyone in the thread and all mankind so we can move on from this extremely important discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.