• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCVM22

Well... no. It could still fail financially, unless you have spoken to 50 million people or so, all of whom intend to go see the movie. Which... for all I know, you might!

But the point is that "video game movies often fail" and the cabinet of other circular arguments don't dictate reality in and of themselves.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It's a growing tendency for video game movies to fail, regardless of how successful the source material is. Pokemon is not immune to failure.

BCMV22 already explained better than I could why this doesn't hold any weight.

Also, you don't know how significant Avengers: Endgame is. It's the grand conclusion of 22 films across 11 years.

Trust me, I'm a big Marvel fan, I know how big it is, and I'm psyched for Endgame. But, once again, who says people can't see two movies? Maybe it Detective Pikachu might earn less, due to the amount of people who only want to watch one movie, but overall, I have to imagine that it wouldn't enough to render the movie a failure.

Detective Pikachu is also getting massive criticism for how the Pokemon look. Not a good start.

To quote your own words:
That sample size is too small and it doesn't mean anything.

And honestly, I agree that some of models could look better, specifically I think the fur/feathers/fluff on applicable Pokémon needs to be shorter. That doesn't mean the movie is bad.

That's not the only reason why I think that it will fail. Detective Pikachu will face very tough competition, considering 2019 is a very crowded year in terms of movies. Among the movies that Detective Pikachu will have to compete with include Hellboy, Avengers: Endgame, Aladdin, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, X-Men Dark Phoenix, and The Secret Life of Pets 2.

I could probably give a list of similar, if not more prominent movies from most, if not all years. You'd be hard-pressed to find a year without a large list competing movies.

Real talk, when was the last time anyone here has watched the Mario Bros. movie? And was that viewing enjoyable? Personally have to admit that the set design was pretty neat if I were to say one good thing about it. If Detective Pikachu ends up in the same boat, I can already say from the trailer alone that it'll still be a fun film to watch with friends. The details alone in the set design are quite lovely.

I watched it two years ago for the first (and last) time. I had fun watching it, but only because I was prepared for it to be bad, and was willing to make fun of it.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
And it's not just it being a video game movie we have to worry about. Live Action versions of anime usually suck too. And Pokemon is a big part of both. This could be the worst both worlds...<_<

mockingjay

swift and lol
It will still release during while Endgame is in theaters. Pokemon isn't immune to failure.

Avengers has three entire weeks before Detective Pikachu is released, the bulk of its box office earnings have been made by the time DP releases.

It's going to be... pretty unlikely that this movie is going to fail. Social media tracking this far out is extremely high (in terms for people talking) and the views the trailer has on Youtube is among the top most viewed trailers of all time. People are going to come out and see this movie based on sheer curiosity as it is the first ever Pokemon movie.

The movie doesn't appear to be that high budget ($100-$140m) so it wouldn't take a huge box office number for it to do well... and there are already box office analysts pegging it to make over $1b (China and Japan are huge markets that could really push the movie into huge earnings).

Will it do well financially? Probably. Will it be a good movie? Maybe.

A sequel is in the works now as well, reported by The Hollywood Reportable who are a credible source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/detective-pikachu-sequel-works-1179211

Hopefully now that Warner Bros realise how big of a movie they have on their hands, they'll be able to attract some decent names. Rob Letterman is okay but Goosebumps wasn't the best movie (even from a young child's perspective)

Orphalesion

Real talk, when was the last time anyone here has watched the Mario Bros. movie? And was that viewing enjoyable? Personally have to admit that the set design was pretty neat if I were to say one good thing about it. If Detective Pikachu ends up in the same boat, I can already say from the trailer alone that it'll still be a fun film to watch with friends. The details alone in the set design are quite lovely.

Yeah it's a throughly terrible movie that had nothing to do with the games and the only reason to watch it is to basically make fun of it with friends....and even for that it's not really good enough, due to being bad/boring. And maybe the surreal experience to see Aunt Petunia playing (what I assume was meant to be) a "femme fatale" character.
But I agree, the set design (and parts of the costume designs) were pretty imaginative and if they had used it in a movie unrelated to the Mario Bros. (and with a coherent, interesting story) it could have been quite good.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The movie is marketed to hell and back. This is the closest we'll ever be to Pokemon media actually exploiting the dark, gritty facts of the Pokedex, even.

I bet it will even dethrone the anniversary Mewtwo movie.
Of course it will, it has Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu , haha

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
A sequel is in the works now as well, reported by The Hollywood Reportable who are a credible source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/detective-pikachu-sequel-works-1179211

"Uziel has shown himself to be a franchise player, having most recently worked on Paramount’s video game adaptation of Sonic the Hedgehog, which will be released Nov. 8, as well as the upcoming Men in Black: International. Other credits include 22 Jump Street and The Cloverfield Paradox. He is also writing a Supergirl feature for Warner Bros."

Ohhhhhh noooooooooo.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Did you guys hear the awesome and terrifying news that the writer of 22 Jump Street might be hired to write Detective Pikachu 2! We could possibly get the GREATEST DETECTIVE COMEDY and WORST POKEMON MOVIE OF ALL TIME!

mockingjay

swift and lol
You can't mess up a spin-off since it's, well, not main stuff material.

That's probably the main reason too on why TCPi has finally jumped on the opportunity for a movie to be made after all these years.

Also why I don't think the Red/Blue movie is ever happening.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Did you guys hear the awesome and terrifying news that the writer of 22 Jump Street might be hired to write Detective Pikachu 2! We could possibly get the GREATEST DETECTIVE COMEDY and WORST POKEMON MOVIE OF ALL TIME!

Just because the guy made a detective comedy in the past doesn't mean he will again. His past movie has little to no bearing on how he would treat Detective Pikachu. Let's not jump to such extreme conclusions, especially on something that isn't even confirmed.

shoz999

Just because the guy made a detective comedy in the past doesn't mean he will again. His past movie has little to no bearing on how he would treat Detective Pikachu. Let's not jump to such extreme conclusions, especially on something that isn't even confirmed.
It's a joke how the writer is probably more interested in the Blade Runney-style universe of Pokemon featuring noir-like comedy which blends with his background of writing guns-blazing action-packed movies and that from his experience alone, he probably has no interest in the Pokemon aspect.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Looks like they're already writing the sequel of the film. They reeeeeeeeeeeally think they'll be set for the next thing...

I like to think that's a good sign.

Shame the actual game doesn't have a sequel. Ha ha.

Well, we're still several years away from this supposed sequel coming out. Plenty of time for the game's sequel to come. I was hoping we'd get the game's sequel released as a tie-in with the first movie, but it looks like that's not going to happen now. Hopefully it won't be too long.

It's a joke

Sorry, couldn't tell.

he probably has no interest in the Pokemon aspect.

You really have no way of knowing that.

shoz999

I like to think that's a good sign.

Well, we're still several years away from this supposed sequel coming out. Plenty of time for the game's sequel to come. I was hoping we'd get the game's sequel released as a tie-in with the first movie, but it looks like that's not going to happen now. Hopefully it won't be too long.

Sorry, couldn't tell.

You really have no way of knowing that.
Actually I do have a way of knowing partially that, specifically the signs that point to a particular direction but it appears I've made an error in analyzing the writer's psychology and choices in that this is the wrong 22 Jump Street Writer that I've been analyzing. Looking at the actual writing credits of Oren Uziel, he has so far done 22 Jump Street of course, Cloverfield Paradox but also some recent work on the Mortal Kombat series including a short Mortal Kombat film to convince some higher-ups that a Mortal Kombat film can work. Quite interesting actually... but unlike the other writer I've been researching, a huge lack of concentrated information this time around to form any real patterns. So in one of these very rare cases, we really have absolutely no clue what's going on with the possible sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.