1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Detective Pikachu Movie Thread - Pre-Release News & Discussion

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by AuraChannelerChris, Dec 7, 2017.

1. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

That's not the only reason why I think that it will fail. Detective Pikachu will face very tough competition, considering 2019 is a very crowded year in terms of movies. Among the movies that Detective Pikachu will have to compete with include Hellboy, Avengers: Endgame, Aladdin, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, X-Men Dark Phoenix, and The Secret Life of Pets 2.

2. Dragalge

Dragalge Very Eyecatchy

Dude they moved Endgame to April from its intended May target, the same month being when Detective Pikachu will be released. Pokémon’s brand -> Marvel.

Detective Pikachu will not fail!

3. RileyXY1

It will still release during while Endgame is in theaters. Pokemon isn't immune to failure.

4. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

What you haven't done and aren't doing is giving any actual predictive metric as to why it's going to fail. The closest thing to that you offer, "growing tendency for video game movies to fail" doesn't even make sense - the last two major video game adaptations (Rampage, Tomb Raider) grossed nearly $500 million and nearly $300 million, respectively, even if the reviews for both were uneven. So even for as bad a metric as that is, it's not particularly true or useful.

Like, maybe it will end up not very good and maybe it does end up falling short of box office expectations (whatever they are). I'm not saying it won't or can't do that. But what you're offering is a whole lot of "it's going to fail because it's going to fail, and my reasoning is that it's going to fail." It's perfectly circular logic and it doesn't tell us anything particularly predictive or noteworthy.

Criticism from who? Who cares? How would these all-important people whose opinions dictate policy have preferred the Pokémon look? Seems like a lot more shock that turns into acceptance or just plain whining than it does "massive criticism," to whatever extent any of it matters.

Bguy7 likes this.
  5. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie "It is my destiny."

I just want to point out in that even if Detective Pikachu were to bomb, it can become a cult classic like the Super Mario Bros. movie did over the years. There's no harm in that, for the audience.

Real talk, when was the last time anyone here has watched the Mario Bros. movie? And was that viewing enjoyable? Personally have to admit that the set design was pretty neat if I were to say one good thing about it. If Detective Pikachu ends up in the same boat, I can already say from the trailer alone that it'll still be a fun film to watch with friends. The details alone in the set design are quite lovely.

6. Prof. SALTY

Prof. SALTY The Scruffy Professor

There's no way it's gonna fail financially. Literally everyone I've talked to is planning on seeing it.

7. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Well... no. It could still fail financially, unless you have spoken to 50 million people or so, all of whom intend to go see the movie. Which... for all I know, you might!

But the point is that "video game movies often fail" and the cabinet of other circular arguments don't dictate reality in and of themselves.

8. RileyXY1

That sample size is too small and it doesn't mean anything.

9. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

BCMV22 already explained better than I could why this doesn't hold any weight.

Trust me, I'm a big Marvel fan, I know how big it is, and I'm psyched for Endgame. But, once again, who says people can't see two movies? Maybe it Detective Pikachu might earn less, due to the amount of people who only want to watch one movie, but overall, I have to imagine that it wouldn't enough to render the movie a failure.

To quote your own words:
    And honestly, I agree that some of models could look better, specifically I think the fur/feathers/fluff on applicable Pokémon needs to be shorter. That doesn't mean the movie is bad.

I could probably give a list of similar, if not more prominent movies from most, if not all years. You'd be hard-pressed to find a year without a large list competing movies.

I watched it two years ago for the first (and last) time. I had fun watching it, but only because I was prepared for it to be bad, and was willing to make fun of it.

10. Jangobadass

Jangobadass Bow before a superior pimp!

And it's not just it being a video game movie we have to worry about. Live Action versions of anime usually suck too. And Pokemon is a big part of both. This could be the worst both worlds...<_<

11. mockingjay

mockingjay swift and lol

Avengers has three entire weeks before Detective Pikachu is released, the bulk of its box office earnings have been made by the time DP releases.

It's going to be... pretty unlikely that this movie is going to fail. Social media tracking this far out is extremely high (in terms for people talking) and the views the trailer has on Youtube is among the top most viewed trailers of all time. People are going to come out and see this movie based on sheer curiosity as it is the first ever Pokemon movie.

The movie doesn't appear to be that high budget ($100-$140m) so it wouldn't take a huge box office number for it to do well... and there are already box office analysts pegging it to make over $1b (China and Japan are huge markets that could really push the movie into huge earnings).

Will it do well financially? Probably. Will it be a good movie? Maybe.

A sequel is in the works now as well, reported by The Hollywood Reportable who are a credible source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/detective-pikachu-sequel-works-1179211

Hopefully now that Warner Bros realise how big of a movie they have on their hands, they'll be able to attract some decent names. Rob Letterman is okay but Goosebumps wasn't the best movie (even from a young child's perspective)

12. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Well-Known Member

Yeah it's a throughly terrible movie that had nothing to do with the games and the only reason to watch it is to basically make fun of it with friends....and even for that it's not really good enough, due to being bad/boring. And maybe the surreal experience to see Aunt Petunia playing (what I assume was meant to be) a "femme fatale" character.
    But I agree, the set design (and parts of the costume designs) were pretty imaginative and if they had used it in a movie unrelated to the Mario Bros. (and with a coherent, interesting story) it could have been quite good.

13. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris Final Destination me, you *****.

The movie is marketed to hell and back. This is the closest we'll ever be to Pokemon media actually exploiting the dark, gritty facts of the Pokedex, even.

I bet it will even dethrone the anniversary Mewtwo movie.

Dragalge likes this.
  14. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Goth lady!

Of course it will, it has Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu , haha

15. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie "It is my destiny."

"Uziel has shown himself to be a franchise player, having most recently worked on Paramount’s video game adaptation of Sonic the Hedgehog, which will be released Nov. 8, as well as the upcoming Men in Black: International. Other credits include 22 Jump Street and The Cloverfield Paradox. He is also writing a Supergirl feature for Warner Bros."

Ohhhhhh noooooooooo.

16. AuraChannelerChris

You can't mess up a spin-off since it's, well, not main stuff material.

17. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

Did you guys hear the awesome and terrifying news that the writer of 22 Jump Street might be hired to write Detective Pikachu 2! We could possibly get the GREATEST DETECTIVE COMEDY and WORST POKEMON MOVIE OF ALL TIME!

18. mockingjay

mockingjay swift and lol

That's probably the main reason too on why TCPi has finally jumped on the opportunity for a movie to be made after all these years.

Also why I don't think the Red/Blue movie is ever happening.

19. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Just because the guy made a detective comedy in the past doesn't mean he will again. His past movie has little to no bearing on how he would treat Detective Pikachu. Let's not jump to such extreme conclusions, especially on something that isn't even confirmed.

20. AuraChannelerChris

Looks like they're already writing the sequel of the film. They reeeeeeeeeeeally think they'll be set for the next thing...

Shame the actual game doesn't have a sequel. Ha ha.