1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Detective Pikachu Movie Thread - Pre-Release News & Discussion

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by AuraChannelerChris, Dec 7, 2017.

1. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

It's a joke how the writer is probably more interested in the Blade Runney-style universe of Pokemon featuring noir-like comedy which blends with his background of writing guns-blazing action-packed movies and that from his experience alone, he probably has no interest in the Pokemon aspect.

2. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

I like to think that's a good sign.

Well, we're still several years away from this supposed sequel coming out. Plenty of time for the game's sequel to come. I was hoping we'd get the game's sequel released as a tie-in with the first movie, but it looks like that's not going to happen now. Hopefully it won't be too long.

Sorry, couldn't tell.

You really have no way of knowing that.

3. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

Actually I do have a way of knowing partially that, specifically the signs that point to a particular direction but it appears I've made an error in analyzing the writer's psychology and choices in that this is the wrong 22 Jump Street Writer that I've been analyzing. Looking at the actual writing credits of Oren Uziel, he has so far done 22 Jump Street of course, Cloverfield Paradox but also some recent work on the Mortal Kombat series including a short Mortal Kombat film to convince some higher-ups that a Mortal Kombat film can work. Quite interesting actually... but unlike the other writer I've been researching, a huge lack of concentrated information this time around to form any real patterns. So in one of these very rare cases, we really have absolutely no clue what's going on with the possible sequel

4. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Took an awful lot of posts to otherwise re-determine this.

5. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

How is a couple of posts a lot?

6. mockingjay

mockingjay swift and lol

https://publicfigure.com/2019/01/30...ey-confirms-movie-role-alongside-rob-delaney/

His attitude towards the movie is a little off-putting lol but it is interesting that his role didn't require him to be around any Pokemon, so I'm going to assume it's a smaller role (he's not a big name actor anyway so that was expected).

I guess that also means he is not voicing Mewtwo and any of the main villains

7. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Eclipse, Golden Sun Dragon Staff Member

Off-putting to say the least. They're not even real! lol

8. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

I wouldn't blame him. I expect that most actors, if not most people involved in the movie, have little more than a passing interest, if one at all, in Pokémon. And I'm sure any Pokémon fan knows from experience that there tends to be a stigma against Pokémon among those who were either never interested in it or "outgrew" it. It's especially compounded now when those people didn't play Go, because they likely would have saw Go as an annoyance, given how majorly popular it was.

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  9. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie "It is my destiny."

WishIhadaManafi5 and Dragalge like this.
  10. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Eclipse, Golden Sun Dragon Staff Member

Fair point on that.

Just hoping it lives up to the hype so far.

11. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Wow, that's hilarious. What's interesting, is that if you scroll to the bottom of the article and click the "author's" name, the website actually has a profile for the writer "Ryan Reynolds," and it says that he's written 1,199 posts, all of which have been written since April 9, 2018. By the look of it, they're all posts about Ryan Reynolds. So that part, oddly, wasn't a mistake. Is this some sort of search engine optimization scheme gone too far?

I'd have to assume that Goodman would interact with Pokémon at some point. At the very least, his Accelgor.

On that note, this movie better have his Accelgor in it, it was one of my favorite parts about the game.

WishIhadaManafi5 and Dragalge like this.
  12. Shinigami_258

Shinigami_258 New Member

I`m so thrilled!! Can`t wait for Detective Pikachu to be on theaters!

13. mockingjay

mockingjay swift and lol

To the surprise of no one, Bill Nighy confirms he's playing a live-action character:

Bill Nighy is a pretty big-name character and so he wouldn't be doing a Detective Pikachu movie if it was just a small role, especially considering he got to meet the head of Pokemon and Ken Sugimori, etc.

My prediction is that he's playing the central/main villain (controlling Mewtwo) and will be the father to Chris Geere's character who I suspect will play someone based off Roger Clifford.

The stone plaster that look like "ancient Grecian works of art" is probably one about Mew, and both Mew/Mewtwo are confirmed to be in the movie based off merchandise listings.

AgentKallus likes this.
  14. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

I’d like to hear more from Bill Nighy about Pokémon as works of art. I’d listen to that podcast.

AgentKallus likes this.
  15. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

Thought you were talking about Bill Nye at first. Now that would be interesting.

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  16. shivaa

shivaa New Member

The game has no sequel?

________________________________________________________________________________
    UC Browser SHAREit MX Player

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  17. Prof. SALTY

Prof. SALTY The Scruffy Professor

N... No...? There was the Wii U version but I think that was just like... Essentially a demo.

18. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Depends on how you want to define sequel. The game came out in Japan in 2016 with three chapters. Then, in 2018, worldwide a game with nine chapters, including those first three, was released. In Japan, the last six chapters was released as a separate game, technically making it a sequel.

But the simplest answer is no, there is yet to be a sequel. I would assume that there is one in the work though, as it would be odd for them to not capitalize on the movie.

What? There's no Detective Pikachu on Wii U, demo or otherwise. There's a demo on the 3DS, if that's what you meant.

19. Prof. SALTY

Prof. SALTY The Scruffy Professor

You are completely correct. For some reason I wrongly remembered the dev pics having a Wii U pad in them and that lead to me assuming the 3 chapter release was on Wii U. Chalk it up to stupidity and late night posting.

20. lolipiece

lolipiece It's a fish eat fish world out there Staff Member Moderator

Apparently the TCG promo cards for the movie leaked. There's a few Pokemon on here that weren't in the first trailer (haven't seen the second one yet, so outside of Snubbull, I don't know which ones are new), so we get a glimpse of what these look like.

[​IMG]