• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I actually think (among others) that the Pokemon look more than decent in this trailer.

How much better can you make CG Pokemon look in a live action movie?

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I was in support of this idea since its announcement way back when. It's about time a country other than Japan got a turn to make a Pokemon movie, especially since those ones up until M20 had fallen into a serious rut of being bland and formulaic (and even the new thing started by M20 could end up in a rut of its own). It's been the "Ash Meets A Legendary/Mythical" show for decades. So I'm definitely in for something new.

Also, those designs look neat, and big props for having them look like the Pokemon they're supposed to be. It could've been a horrendous spectacle like what Dragonball Evolution turned Shenron into.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
As hardcore fan i am have mix feeling about this
Pikachu look cute and little weird to Deadpool actor voice it to me .
Charzard is what you expect to it to be a dragon
Jiggypuff is scary looker to me and but nice nod from the Pokemon anime i do appreciate that vary much
And Greninjas as bad guy ....if they do have master who order them to hunting the main character then i am okay with that but .....they are evil then yeah no i don't think the greninja that way ....Blame on the Pokemon anime show for that.

04n70n10

In any case, a difficult task for the artistic staff to balance all the matter, if Pokemon are too realistic they... are not pokémon anymore, if they are too "cartoonish" they are nothing more than another Anime Pokémon Movie.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

Oh I dont like the CGI of the Pokemon at all. Pokemon was never meant to be live action :/

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Wow. I still can't believe this is happening. That trailer was such a bizarre rush of emotions. This is sheer craziness. I absolutely can not wait.

I'm a little perturbed by fluffy Pokémon. I'm not sure if they really needed to be made with that much fur. It's so ridiculous that it doesn't even look like real fur, honestly. It's nothing I won't get used too, I just think they went a little overboard. Still, it's beyond amazing to see an official interpretation of what Pokémon would look like in real life.

Nockturne

I do wish they weren't quite so fluffy, I don't know why they couldn't have styled them more like a short haired dog. Still obviously covered in fur, but more sleek and less poofy.

Argentarus

This trailer seems so much like one of those early 2000's fake live-action pokemon movie trailers. The dialogue at the beginning was just so rigid and unnatural.
The models are really nice and detailed. Out of all the pokemon in the trailer, Charizard is the pokemon that got the best adapted to the big screen. BIG TEEF.
Mr. Mime is honestly just nightmare fuel.

Anyways, Pokemon Switch 2019 looks great.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Jigglypuff shouldn’t be fluffy! It should be smooth skinned like a balloon with a bit of hair for the puffy curl but not frizzy. The pink also needs to be a tad bit pinker. It looks too pale.

Arcamenel

Shiny Hunter
I thoroughly enjoyed the trailer. The only Pokemon that gave me pause with it's appearance was Psyduck. Pikachu could have been a tad less 'furry' but otherwise it's fine. Mr. Mime was the better done ones in my opinion.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
This is going to be really freaking weird because of how surreal it is to even have an official live-action Pokémon movie, but it won me over with the Mr. Mime scene. Like holy cow, that shouldn't have been funny, but I was crying from holding in my laughter. I think the model looks on-point, I understand people find Mr. Mime creepy but that was quite the personality. I'm looking forward to more Pokémon interaction, and hopefully Psyduck will look better in motion than what we're seeing.

I can already see the audience for when this film comes out. This is going to be one hell of a theater experience.

I do wish they weren't quite so fluffy, I don't know why they couldn't have styled them more like a short haired dog. Still obviously covered in fur, but more sleek and less poofy.
I think we forget that there'd be a lot of Pokémon who'll be fluffy if they existed. Given Pikachu's Static ability, the fur'd probably be poofy like that.

Lady Umbreon

I've lost count of how many times I've watched the trailer. I've been looking forward to this movie since I finished the game.

I'd like to use my knowledge of the Detective Pikachu game to make a prediction:

In the game it's implied that Mewtwo copied Harry Goodman's thought patterns onto Pikachu, causing his amnesia and human-like mannerisms. Therefore, I think Ryan Reynolds is playing Harry in the movie.

Justice Smith is biracial, half African-American, half Italian/French-Canadian. In Tim Goodman's bedroom there's a photo of an African-American (African-Unovan?) woman who's most likely Tim's mother. In the car crash scene Harry's face is hidden but you can see his hands which appear to be light-skinned.

Plus Harry's butt looks like Deadpool's butt. Further analysis needed, of course.

Sceptile Master

Survivor of the Great Avatar Depression
Is Jigglypuff supposed to have hair/fur all over its body?

At first I wasn't too sure how I felt about the realistic designs in general here. I mean, I thought they'd make it something more like
: heck, I even at first wanted to say link-related has better CGI-adaptations of the characters. However, they're going for a more cartoony (but not unrealistic[?], since it's in the real world: see Jibanyan having no immediately visible fur despite being a cat) stylization, and the Pikachu movie is going for a more... well, realistic stylization of them I suppose. So I'm not sure it's fair of me to compare one as being better or not (but also not pointless to bring them both up :p).

It kinda makes me wonder if my favorite Pokemon would still be my favorites and such if I always knew them as looking like that, heh. Though I'd say so.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
The CGI is soooooooo ugly and poorly mixed with the live action stuff... also people are just straight up wearing real world clothes and it just feels weird not seeing the crazy fashion choices, though to be fair I don't think they would have done pokemon fashion well... I'll probably still see it with my boyfriend but not impressed so far.

Also Charazard is quite easily the worst looking thing in the trailer.

Last edited:

Cradily17

I'm glad they decided to include other Pokemon outside of just Gen 1, with Greninja in particular looking like it will play a significant role.

Status
Not open for further replies.