• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

greninjamaster

The movie is gonna release on the 3rd in Japan which will be during a National Holiday. Very very smart move by WB/Nintendo.

Also I fully support the movie being released early in Japan, it's the birthplace of Pokemon.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Even when it's American-made and produced, as well as being made in English, requiring a dubbing to Japanese instead the other way around, Pokémon movies still get launched in Japan first. Figures.

Now that I've mentioned the dubbing aspect, I'm forced to wonder if there will be people in Japan who insistently claim that Detective Pikachu is better when watched subbed than dubbed. Would be ironic.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

Personally, i think Ryan Reynolds is too young to be Justice Smith's dad.

The fact that Ryan Reynolds looks younger than he actually is doesn't help much either, nor does the fact that they both have nothing in common,physically speaking.

I would gladly ignore how they don't look at all like father and son if that made the plot twist less obvious, but the 'plot twist' is already so obvious that i don't think it's going to increase the surprise factor.

Not to say this is going to ruin the movie, it's just a small nitpick anyway.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

The fact that Ryan Reynolds looks younger than he actually is doesn't help much either, nor does the fact that they both have nothing in common,physically speaking.

I would gladly ignore how they don't look at all like father and son if that made the plot twist less obvious, but the 'plot twist' is already so obvious that i don't think it's going to increase the surprise factor.

It's called make-up and acting.

But I thought there's already a named actor for the dad?

Xuxuba

I would rather they didn't use make-up to make him look older.

It always looks fake to me.

Regarding your question, the answer is already on this page.
It's Ryan Reynolds. He will be playing Harry Goodman

Last edited:

Lady Umbreon

Ryan Reynolds is 42. Justice Smith is 23 but his character is 21. That's a 19 to 21 year difference. There have been worse age differences in movies & TV.

Wikipedia and IMDb list Paul Kitson, who's been on "Black Mirror" and "The Royals". He does look the part. But I find it suspicious that the only shot of Harry we've seen hides his face. He probably only has a few scenes, so it'd be an easy thing to film them twice with different actors.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Regarding your question, the answer is already on this page.
It's Ryan Reynolds. He will be playing Harry Goodman

That's only speculation, and hasn't been confirmed.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I don't get it, what's up with the obsession of Dany DeVito playing Detective Pikachu? I didn't understand back when the game came out, and I still don't understand it now.
I think its just that the "older man" rough voice and mannerisms Detective Pikachu got in the game reminded people of Danny DeVito. Detective Pikachu is much more agile and energetic in the movie, so I'm kind of glad they went with a different sort of voice.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I think its just that the "older man" rough voice and mannerisms Detective Pikachu got in the game reminded people of Danny DeVito. Detective Pikachu is much more agile and energetic in the movie, so I'm kind of glad they went with a different sort of voice.

That's a reason why people want him, not why they're obsessed with him. There's a difference.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
My best guess is it's because DeVito is a meme: he's known for playing short, stocky, gruff characters in animation (bonus points if they're womanizers--Detective Pikachu flirts with women), and that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was at its peak(?) at the time people heard about the game. Since the trailer came out, people have been having fun with inserting lines in place of Ryan Reynold's (when not putting in Deadpool's dialogue).

If you ask me, though, the funniest voice swap done with Pikachu thus far is with Alex Jones.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer

Of all the ones to not talk, it’s the one that actually does speak English in the movie...

Also, none of these look particularly different from regular Pokémon plushies.

BenLee really not taken

Hey everyone, Bhrjr here.
Have we talked about Box office prediction yet? If now, how much do you think it will make worldwide? At very worst, I feel it would make 300 to 400 million in box office. If it does good, I believe it will make about 700 to 800 million worldwide.

greninjamaster

Have we talked about Box office prediction yet? If now, how much do you think it will make worldwide? At very worst, I feel it would make 300 to 400 million in box office. If it does good, I believe it will make about 700 to 800 million worldwide.

Many industry insiders predict a billion. Which is totally feasible.

BCVM22

Many industry insiders predict a billion. Which is totally feasible.

$1 billion worldwide is Avengers/Star Wars territory. This movie is probably not making a billion dollars worldwide, and I'd suggest any "industry insider" who makes that prediction in earnest should probably have that title examined closely.

I'm not saying the movie won't do well, and I hope it does do well, but to predict it to be a $1 billion worldwide earner borders on optimistic fantasy.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Indeed, though the hype surrounding it does leave me optimistic that it could earn more than any past video game movie.

BCVM22

I certainly hope it does do that, but again, there's a very wide gulf between a reasonable and realistic hope like that, and "this movie is going to make $1 billion globally."

It's silly to try and qualify pessimistic predictions with "well, it's a video game movie." If Pokémon weren't a video game franchise and if this exact same movie were made but was instead adapting an otherwise identical cartoon or comic book, the movie would be guaranteed to succeed? Nah.

greninjamaster

$1 billion worldwide is Avengers/Star Wars territory. This movie is probably not making a billion dollars worldwide, and I'd suggest any "industry insider" who makes that prediction in earnest should probably have that title examined closely.

I'm not saying the movie won't do well, and I hope it does do well, but to predict it to be a $1 billion worldwide earner borders on optimistic fantasy.

Pokemon is bigger then SW and Avengers. Highest grossing franchise ever. It could make a billion, and I honestly think there's a chance it will.

If it's actually a good movie, I think it has a good chance to join the Billion Dollar Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.