• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argentarus

Still waiting on Incineroar and Decidueye to make an appearance.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
I am okay with the trailer, sure it could look better but hey, we been wanting to see something like this for years, maybe once it's done it will inspire someone else to make a movie or even an Netflix series with better CGI and get the ball rolling. Either way, I think it's fine, it isn't going to be like an huge blockbuster but just something nice to see. I like the way Pikachu looked (Not sure if I agree with the voice though). Jiggylpuff shouldn't be fluffly but is cute.
Mr. Mime is far creepy as usual, I swear Charizard had abs but hoping that wasn't correct, would be weird if he did. And I am glad to see different gens to be there, I imagine budget and time stops this from being huge, if they try to show a lot of Pokemon in this, it would probably do that.

Nockturne

Just glanced back over the trailer to see how many non gen 1 Pokemon I could spot, I totally missed the Emolga on top of the market stalls. Right at the start there are some pokemon floating in the sky that might be Flabebe, can anyone make out what they are?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I found the trailer to be hilarious. Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu is a big plus for this film imo. The Pokémon designs are alright and I'm glad they aren't sticking to just gen 1 Pokémon. I'll also take a film like this over a live action film of the anime like all of those poorly made ones on YouTube that always have just the original trio with only gen 1 Pokemon for whatever reason lmao.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Oh yeah that's another thing... I really don't like Ryan Reynolds. I think he's a terrible actor and hate pretty much every performance by him, including this one based on the trailer. I just... really hate his voice. And his face. Everything about him.

That's just my opinion though and won't hold it against the movie.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I hope to dear lord Lucario wasn't made fugly, if they bothered to include it.

I can juuuuuuuuust imagine how alien-like Mewtwo will look like, and they will SO not forget to include it.

I mean, the official poster shows an "M2" sprayed on a garbage can very close to the front

nickdt

When i first heard about this, i never believed they could pull this off. Sure, some people look strange, but Greninja, Squirtle, Rufflett, Dodrio, Flabebe look accurate, so are Venusaur and Morelull. Charizard looked a little weird, but its something to get just to i think. That Mr.Mime was creepy.

I am also convinced this movie is gonna replace the traditional one, seeing the releasedate.

Pikachu52

So is this the place where we complain about the new detective Pikachu trailer?

I'm not living for the CGI Pokémon they've produced. They've tried give the Pokémon a textual realism that's produced a clown effect. The Pokémon are recognisable against their anime counterparts but the attempts to make them realistic has distorted them somehow. So the cuteness factor that, at least to me, gives Pokémon its appeal is dead.

The Pikachu they've created doesn't really look like Pikachu. Pikachu is the mouse Pokémon and its rumoured to be designed based on a Pika, but this rendition of Pikachu looks more cat like both in its overly fuzziness and the construction of its face. I was personally hoping it would look similar to the 3D design used in Pokémon let's go.

While its unwise to try an glean any plot points from a trailer, one of Pikachu's lines sticks out - "I push away everyone who tries to get close to me then get angry at them." That implies the films is going to use a "buddy picture" trope as the underlying structure of its plot. You know, protagonists meet, become friends or agree to work together, fall out or break up and then reconcile at the end. Usually against the backdrop of facing some sort of adversary.
Think of films like Zootopia for an example.

That's actually quite a departure from how the anime deals with the subject of friendship. Friendship being the closest thing it has to a core theme. In the anime main characters and their Pokémon tend to have extremely close relationships with their Pokémon. Think Ash and Pikachu - they've only fought in two instances, when they first met and in the scene where Ash gets moody after loosing to Roc in the movie Pokémon: I choose you.

It's also a departure from the source material itself, the game Detective Pikachu, which I think simply had Tim and Pikachu become friends quite quickly and stay that way for the duration of the plot. Pikachu didn't "push people away and then get angry" there either.

Also, while it is just a trailer, Pikachu's characterisation does feel a cliché. I can't quite put my finger on it but the combination of the gritty masculine voice of the Pikachu combined with it's implied "loner" personality and some of the dialogue and slapstick humour (running into Mr. Mime's barrier) feels like its been done before.

But this is just a trailer - I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the actual film.

When Pokémon live action was first announced my view it would end up being written, directed and produced by a group of Americans with limited understanding of the franchise or why it was popular and that they would "Americanise" it to the point of being unrecognisable against its source material.

This trailer doesn't dissuade me of that view, but we shall see.

I actually think (among others) that the Pokemon look more than decent in this trailer.

How much better can you make CG Pokemon look in a live action movie?

I suppose they could have gone the Yokai Watch route and just had 3D models of the anime sprites.

After all Pokémon let's go Pikachu and Eevee are in 3D and that seems to work.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Also, while it is just a trailer, Pikachu's characterisation does feel a cliché. I can't quite put my finger on it but the combination of the gritty masculine voice of the Pikachu combined with it's implied "loner" personality and some of the dialogue and slapstick humour (running into Mr. Mime's barrier) feels like its been done before.

To be fair, that's exactly what his character was in the Detective Pikachu game.He was supposed to be a stereotypical detective trapped in a Pikacu's body. That's what made it so amusing. It would be unusual if his personality was anything else.

I suppose they could have gone the Yokai Watch route and just had 3D models of the anime sprites.

After all Pokémon let's go Pikachu and Eevee are in 3D and that seems to work.

But Let's Go are not live action. You can't just throw regular 3D Pokémon models in a live action world and expect it to look good. You've got to at least put some effort into making the models look like they belong in a real life setting. I think that maybe the designers here went a little overboard on stuff like fur and feathers, but it probably shouldn't be altogether absent either.

Just using regular 3D models might work for something relatively simple like the Pokémon Go trailers, or the Pokémon 20th anniversary commercial, but those are just cheap and easy versions. A professional movie is expected to have more attention to detail.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
How much do you want to bet that they're going to sneak in a Gen 8 pokémon as a background cameo for this movie

Pikachu52

But Let's Go are not live action. You can't just throw regular 3D Pokémon models in a live action world and expect it to look good. You've got to at least put some effort into making the models look like they belong in a real life setting. I think that maybe the designers here went a little overboard on stuff like fur and feathers, but it probably shouldn't be altogether absent either.

Pokémon let's go is a bad example I'll admit.

Something like the models in "Smash" would have worked better as these are the same recognisable characters with a bit of additional textual detail such as fur and muscle tone.

Kein

AKA Silktree
While its unwise to try an glean any plot points from a trailer, one of Pikachu's lines sticks out - "I push away everyone who tries to get close to me then get angry at them." That implies the films is going to use a "buddy picture" trope as the underlying structure of its plot. You know, protagonists meet, become friends or agree to work together, fall out or break up and then reconcile at the end. Usually against the backdrop of facing some sort of adversary.
That line is clearly just Pikachu's interpretation of Mr. Mime. I am not sure how the trailer makes you think that Pikachu is a loner when he's the one that wants to work with Tim.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
There's going to be a lot of Pokemon Easter Eggs that would need some rewatching to notice them all. I remember earlier noticing that Reshiram and Zekrom were featured on a poster in Tim's room for one and that made me smile!

As for the Pokemon I'd like to see in addition to the ones already shown, well I don't mind who! It can even be featured in something like a sign and I would still be happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.