• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kein

AKA Silktree
I haven't seen any evidence of an advance screening so soon anywhere but Tokyo. Some proof would be nice.

BenLee really not taken

Hey everyone, Bhrjr here.
Figured as much. Literally no different from the game except he actually does stuff. That's all I really wanted.
Speaking of Tim’s father’s mystery, I do hope the movie reveals more of it than the game did.

mockingjay

swift and lol
Flaming/Insulting Other People
I haven't seen any evidence of an advance screening so soon anywhere but Tokyo. Some proof would be nice.

Maybe do some research before you make a post? lol I've been on this forum for 11 years. I don't need to pretend to have seen DP a week early for anything.

The official Twitter has retweeted hundreds of tweets from people at advanced screenings: https://twitter.com/DetPikachuMovie

Also the first two results when you Google:

https://mycentralfloridafamily.com/pokemon-movie-pass-giveaway/
https://www.facebook.com/events/amc...-screening-detective-pikachu/594897477588010/

mockingjay

swift and lol
Double Posting
Actually got another question. What was your favorite Easter Egg?

I don’t know if it constitutes as an easter egg but Ditto is part of one of the final twists that I think fans will find fun/funny but non-fans won’t really care about.

In detail spoiler:

It turns out Ditto had been impersonating one of the human characters that is a “suspect” the entire movie.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
This is similar to Dragalgae’s question. Without giving any names or an exact number, are there more pokémon appearing in this movie besides the ones we’ve seen in all of the previews or the ones featured main site’s movie pokédex?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
This is similar to Dragalgae’s question. Without giving any names or an exact number, are there more pokémon appearing in this movie besides the ones we’ve seen in all of the previews or the ones featured main site’s movie pokédex?

There's supposed to be like 60 Pokémon shown on-screen. We only have about 50 Pokémon confirmed, so I'm thinking they're keeping the rest out of the marketing for now.

Kein

AKA Silktree
Maybe do some research before you make a post? lol I've been on this forum for 11 years. I don't need to pretend to have seen DP a week early for anything.

The official Twitter has retweeted hundreds of tweets from people at advanced screenings: https://twitter.com/DetPikachuMovie

Also the first two results when you Google:

https://mycentralfloridafamily.com/pokemon-movie-pass-giveaway/
https://www.facebook.com/events/amc...-screening-detective-pikachu/594897477588010/
Chill. Google results are sorted differently depending on your search terms and timing. I could only find this.

I don't know you, nor did I accuse you of lying. But this is the Internet.

mockingjay

swift and lol

There's quite a few more, but the movie repeats A LOT of the Pokemon we see in other scenes (the same background Pokemon appear over and over again). I don't remember what is revealed in trailers so far or what is on Serebii.net but there is Torterra (and he is
a GIGANTIC one in the movie
) and that fighting Pokemon I can't remember from Gen 5)

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Since we were talking about people's reactions to the trailers in theaters, I thought I'd bring up what it was like last night when I saw Avengers. The large theater was absolutely packed (the crowd being almost exclusively college students). This crowd cheered for every single trailer, but I like to think that they cheered the loudest for Detective Pikachu, with the exception of Star Wars. There were laughs throughout the entire thing, and, most notably, the two girls sitting next to me began to sing along when I Need a Hero began to play. Most interestingly, their was a large collective gasp when Mewtwo appeared. All in all, seemed like a pretty good reaction.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
Since we were talking about people's reactions to the trailers in theaters, I thought I'd bring up what it was like last night when I saw Avengers. The large theater was absolutely packed (the crowd being almost exclusively college students). This crowd cheered for every single trailer, but I like to think that they cheered the loudest for Detective Pikachu, with the exception of Star Wars. There were laughs throughout the entire thing, and, most notably, the two girls sitting next to me began to sing along when I Need a Hero began to play. Most interestingly, their was a large collective gasp when Mewtwo appeared. All in all, seemed like a pretty good reaction.

Sadly, I missed my theaters reaction to the detective Pikachu trailer because we were getting popcorn, but I’m sure somebody would have clapped considering people clapped for every exciting thing in Endgame.

Lady Umbreon

I'd like to make a crazy prediction: Detective Pikachu will cross the 2 billion mark. Either it or Avengers: Endgame will become the new highest-grossing film of all time.
Of all the predictions I've made on this thread, the one most likely to come true is the one that doesn't involve Pokemon. I haven't seen an MCU movie since the first Iron Man, but with the monumental effect it has had on pop culture it deserves to dethrone Avatar (which has had almost no effect on pop culture).

I was REALLY caught up in the hype when I included Detective Pikachu in this. I still believe it will out-gross everything this summer except Endgame, but I admit that two million is a stretch. That said...

I also foresee Detective Pikachu being adapted into a Broadway musical with Lion King-style puppets.
...I'm never giving up this dream. I can already picture the song medley being performed in front of Macy's before the Thanksgiving Day parade. Someone call Lin-Manuel Miranda!

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Considering the mammoth that Endgame ended up being, there is a chance that despite doing really well for its debut, Pikachu might not open at #1.

I guess that's more a testament to how crazy Endgame's box office ended up being than anything to do with DP.

I can see Detective Pikachu becoming number one at the box office its second or third week, to be honest. It's happened before where films just suddenly become number one in its like third or fourth week thanks to word of mouth or just lack of competition (I remember it was a big deal when How to Train Your Dragon soared to number one for two weeks in a row its like third or fourth week), and Detective Pikachu promises rewatch bonuses because of the Easter eggs, so there'll be those going to see it at least twice alongside those who wanted to wait until there weren't crowds to deal with. There's also not much coming out in terms of competition (for a family film, especially; Ugly Dolls got pushed up a week because you know the distributors are scared shitless of Detective Pikachu) until its third week with Aladdin, but then Godzilla comes out the following week and Legendary's really going to make a killing throughout May and into June.

So no matter what, the movie will be fine. My brother told me today he's going to be looking closely at foreign box office results to compare it to Endgame, even though I would personally look at the Asian box office results more.

BenLee really not taken

Hey everyone, Bhrjr here.
Of all the predictions I've made on this thread, the one most likely to come true is the one that doesn't involve Pokemon. I haven't seen an MCU movie since the first Iron Man, but with the monumental effect it has had on pop culture it deserves to dethrone Avatar (which has had almost no effect on pop culture).

I was REALLY caught up in the hype when I included Detective Pikachu in this. I still believe it will out-gross everything this summer except Endgame, but I admit that two million is a stretch. That said...

...I'm never giving up this dream. I can already picture the song medley being performed in front of Macy's before the Thanksgiving Day parade. Someone call Lin-Manuel Miranda!
I wouldn't see Detective Pikachu becoming the biggest Box Office hit yet, but maybe someday, a live action from Pokémon or Nintendo might just come to that.
Also, yeah, I can definitely see Nintendo wanting to do some live action stage shows after DP.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
And hope they do better than that nasty business with Super Mario Bros....

The Super Mario Bros movie was a result of a time where no one had any experience adapting video games to movies, and Nintendo was much more lose with its properties, assuming that the Mario name alone was enough to make the movie a success. We live in a different time today, and not only is Nintendo more controlling of their properties, but they have learned from their mistake. There is absolutely no way that any Nintendo movie made today would be any where near the level of the Mario Bros movie.

So I came across this.
76312cbb9d3562c85a518f1f5ed39ab9b5b634fa.png

And this is on the Pokémon Center website? Why did they need to say that? It's not even a talking plush, from what I can tell.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
And this is on the Pokémon Center website? Why did they need to say that? It's not even a talking plush, from what I can tell.

It's from a site that I think does have connections with Pokémon Center Japan to ship them out (I'm not sure where else you're going to get a 1:1 ratio of a plush Detective Pikachu). It was my first time on the site, I had to check it out when I saw a Tumblr post about it because I didn't think it was real.

So I dunno why they said it, it's probably from someone whose finger is so hard on the pulse they're channeling memes. Also, Ryan Reynolds said in an interview that when he was pitched the role, they had actually used a line from Deadpool to animate it to Pikachu, so he might've been animated to say "fuck".

Status
Not open for further replies.