• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
I wanna see at least one eeveelution, I really wanna see how they'd handle Jolteon

If you thought Flareon was fluffy before, just wait. xD

greninjamaster

https://www.youtube.com/feed/trending

To give people an idea of what the reception to the movie is. It was trending all day. Was #1 until Stan Lee died obviously. It is still the #1 trending video on Youtube for the past 9 hrs and the reception is insanely positive. Also from early screenings they say the movie is very good.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'm just going to come right out and say that I have always liked Mr. Mime and thus I am a fan of him being in the movie. I think the segment shown in the trailer did a fantastic job and it brings me joy to see everyone freaking out over it. I can hardly wait to see him in action because apparently, according to the poster, the Mr. Mime's a stand-up comedian or roadshow performer.

Fite me.
d97d98e6dfd040eb03e36d7005cf96821542045044_full.jpg

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I would like to see how much fluffier some fluffy Pokémon become especially Altaria which did appear in the Detective Pikachu games. A lot of the Pokémon look really fluffy too. I like a good number of references in this movie especially the more hidden ones and I expect a lot of them.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Pokémon let's go is a bad example I'll admit.

Something like the models in "Smash" would have worked better as these are the same recognisable characters with a bit of additional textual detail such as fur and muscle tone.

It would look better than Let's Go models, but it still wouldn't be a 3D model meant to exit alongside live action characters. If Pokemon were real, they would have noticeable physical fur, feather and scales, not just textures that give them the illusion of having it.

I'm just going to come right out and say that I have always liked Mr. Mime and thus I am a fan of him being in the movie. I think the segment shown in the trailer did a fantastic job and it brings me joy to see everyone freaking out over it. I can hardly wait to see him in action because apparently, according to the poster, the Mr. Mime's a stand-up comedian or roadshow performer.

Fite me.
d97d98e6dfd040eb03e36d7005cf96821542045044_full.jpg

I think Mr. Mime was my favorite live action Pokémon designs we saw. It just goes to show that it's really just the over-abundance of fur that looks weird on things like Pikachu and Jigglypuff.

I'm not sure how I feel about a Pokémon saying (or rather, miming) "shove it," as that's a whole lot more crude than we're used to seeing in Pokémon, but the scene was certainly hilarious regardless.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I think Mr. Mime was my favorite live action Pokémon designs we saw. It just goes to show that it's really just the over-abundance of fur that looks weird on things like Pikachu and Jigglypuff.

I'm not sure how I feel about a Pokémon saying (or rather, miming) "shove it," as that's a whole lot more crude than we're used to seeing in Pokémon, but the scene was certainly hilarious regardless.

Yeah Mr. Mime is easily the best looking thing in the trailer. They absolutely nailed it. Also not a fan of the "shove it", but that's just the tone they're going for i guess.

AuroraBeam

The models are a little hit or miss for me. Some of the furrier ones could be toned down on the hair a little bit for me. But it could also just be the initial shock of seeing something that is normally stylized in a more realistic design that I'm not use to yet. It always a pleasant surprise whenever anything outside of gen 1 gets recognized too. Curious if any legends or mythicals will pop up.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Curious if any legends or mythicals will pop up.

Mewtwo was a major plotpoint of the original Detective Pikachu, so it seems somewhat likely that it will appear here as well.

Regardless of that, I would say it's safe to assume that we'll get some sort of Legendary Pokémon that the plot hinges on. That's just how Pokémon works.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
The Detective Pikachu trailer just reached 7 million. Toy Story on the other hand is slowing down to 4 million.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Yeah Mr. Mime is easily the best looking thing in the trailer. They absolutely nailed it. Also not a fan of the "shove it", but that's just the tone they're going for i guess.
Probably in the minority here, but having "shove it" said in an official Pokémon title got the biggest laugh out of me from the whole trailer because it reminded me of all the fan fics that'd include such crude humor. Also gives Mr. Mime a personality I really enjoy, like I think if a Pokémon hung around humans enough, they'd adopt the same mannerisms, and that would include insults. And being a mime, he could get away with such stealth puns.

Seriously, if he's actually a smug snarky motherhumper, it'll easily make him one of my favorite characters in Pokémon, and he's just a minor character who may not even have a voice. One-scene wonders are called such for a reason.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Will this Detective Pikachu smoke instead of being a coffee addict, I wonder.

A coffee shop is displayed prominently in the trailer and movie poster, so it's safe to say that Detective Pikachu will still be obsessed with coffee.

And, regardless of that, I don't think Game Freak and Nintendo would take kindly to one of their biggest mascots smoking. I don't think you even see smoking in children and family movies anymore, let alone ones that have a brand image to keep up.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
I was skeptical about this film before. After seeing the trailer it changed my mind about it.

I'm probably going to rate it 10/10 because the Pokemon fanboy is strong in me. :p

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Probably in the minority here, but having "shove it" said in an official Pokémon title got the biggest laugh out of me from the whole trailer because it reminded me of all the fan fics that'd include such crude humor. Also gives Mr. Mime a personality I really enjoy, like I think if a Pokémon hung around humans enough, they'd adopt the same mannerisms, and that would include insults. And being a mime, he could get away with such stealth puns.

Seriously, if he's actually a smug snarky motherhumper, it'll easily make him one of my favorite characters in Pokémon, and he's just a minor character who may not even have a voice. One-scene wonders are called such for a reason.

I disagree, it comes off as jarring to hear a phrase like that in pokemon related content. This entire movie feels like its gonna be a jarring mess.

As for laughing... I didn't really think the trailer was funny...? Like I don't really get how people are like "that mr mime bit had me laughing so hard".

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
As for laughing... I didn't really think the trailer was funny...? Like I don't really get how people are like "that mr mime bit had me laughing so hard"

It was designed as joke to get people to laugh. It got a chuckle out of me, despite me not necessarily agreeing with having that sort of humor in Pokémon in the first place. Humor's subjective though. Can't really explain why it's funny if you didn't think it was.

BCVM22

Status
Not open for further replies.