• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Detective Pikachu Movie Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAK Attack

All I hear is Deadpool when I watch the trailer. I really hope I can get that out of my head before the movie comes out... lol.

I'm indifferent right now in this movie - it's nice to see them trying something new and going beyond anime/cartoons but I also don't know that this was the best way. I'll withhold too much judgment till I see it though.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
The fur is still weirding me out a little but how else would they portray the pokemon in a real world scenario, right? I know it's going to be good.

TheLuigiBrother

Honestly, imo, it all looks fine except for Charizard. Why is Charizard fluffy/furry? Isn't he a lizard? Shouldn't he be scaly? I mean, given the amount of lizard-like dinasaur and dragon monsters hollywood has made over the years, wouldn't it had been really simple to just make him look like a dragon/lizard, with, you know, scales? Like, really? I'm so annoyed by this I literally made an account on this website in order to voice my frustration over it. It would had been so simple, probably even simpler than what they ended up doing, and yet they completely drop the ball, do more work thannecesary only in the wrong direction, and make him look absolutely terrible. Astounding. They somehow managed to **** up something so easy, and made him, like, the exact opposite of what he should had been.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Honestly, imo, it all looks fine except for Charizard. Why is Charizard fluffy/furry? Isn't he a lizard? Shouldn't he be scaly? I mean, given the amount of lizard-like dinasaur and dragon monsters hollywood has made over the years, wouldn't it had been really simple to just make him look like a dragon/lizard, with, you know, scales? Like, really? I'm so annoyed by this I literally made an account on this website in order to voice my frustration over it. It would had been so simple, probably even simpler than what they ended up doing, and yet they completely drop the ball, do more work thannecesary only in the wrong direction, and make him look absolutely terrible. Astounding. They somehow managed to **** up something so easy, and made him, like, the exact opposite of what he should had been.
were you on something when you watched the trailer?

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Charizard was not fluffy in the trailer I watched.o_O

BCVM22

I'm uncertain as to what you saw in the trailer, but here are several props of Charizard's head from the film, scales and all. You can see clearly that Charizard is definitely not fluffy/furry, nor did the filmmakers manage to "**** up something so easy."

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
They probably see it as a contrast in character. Deadpool is an adult and vulgar character while Detective Pikachu is more family friendly. It's a coincidence that both roles are played by Ryan Reynolds.

But... but that's what makes it funny.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
They probably see it as a contrast in character. Deadpool is an adult and vulgar character while Detective Pikachu is more family friendly. It's a coincidence that both roles are played by Ryan Reynolds.
Kind of like how it's a coincidence we got the comedy gold that is the Terminator becoming a kindergarten teacher.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

To add to BCVM22's pictures of the props, here's one of the model from the trailer:
detective-pikachu-charizard-1144021-640x320.jpeg

No fur, just scales.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
One thing I'm wondering is how this films box office will do against Avengers 4 since it one comes out a week before Detective Pikachu.

Considering the fact that Disney recently polarized the Marvel cinematic fanbase (and continues to do so), I'd say its chances are probably pretty good. It probably won't outdo Avengers 4, but I could see it making a lot of money.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Considering the fact that Disney recently polarized the Marvel cinematic fanbase (and continues to do so), I'd say its chances are probably pretty good. It probably won't outdo Avengers 4, but I could see it making a lot of money.
Yeah even i Starting to see mccu is falling apart now .

GAK Attack

Enough people have MoviePass and/or AMC A-List or another movie subscription service that I don't see the competition hurting it much. If it was the same weekend release, that might hurt the sales. But a week later? Folks will see both if they have an interest in both.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
A lot of the Pokémon look wrong in the trailer. Granted some aren’t that bad like Charizard or Greninja. But why does Psyduck’s feathers look like scales? The texture is all wrong. The poor thing looks like it has a skin disorder! And Jigglypuff isn’t furry at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.