• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Devil Survivor: The Manhattan Lockdown

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Excellent! I'm looking foreward to this getting started

Cyber Robert

Shockingly Lovely
I'm plannin' to sign up. I'm most likely gonna use Apsaras (though resisting Ice like in Persona 3 instead of Absorbing like in SMT: IV.) if that's fine by you.

TheSequelReturns

Faithful Crusader
@CyberBlastoise: Yeah, Apsaras is fine.

rotrum

Ice Cold
I wonder how big this RP will be at the end, considering how many people have posted interest.

At the same time, I also wonder how long it'll take to start the RP with so many people writing signups XD

Firebrand

Indomitable
Ah man, I loved Devil Survivor. I'm in on this.

Name: Cole Culain

Appearance: Not especially tall, but taller than average. He'll tell you he's six foot three, but he's exaggerating a little. He wears his brown hair long, just tumbling down over his shoulder. It's long enough in the front that it sometimes gets in front of his eyes, though he's taken to tucking it behind his ear lately. He used to be a runner in high school and kept active into college, so he's long and lean, with whipcord muscles. However, all that focus on running and stamina has left his arm strength with something to be desired. He has high cheekbones and a slightly drawn expression, a product of his light vegetarian diet.

He wears an old black pea coat and a gray scarf because he thinks it makes him look dapper. Under those, he has a gray t-shirt with the logo of an obscure Scandinavian metal band. He also has a well-worn pair of black jeans on, and since he was only in New York on a day trip, he's wearing his broken-in running shoes, comfortable and with a thick sole. In the pockets of his coat, along with his COMP, he's carrying a wallet with $47.82, a bus ticket back to Connecticut, a small bottle of vodka, a pack of cigarettes and cheap disposable lighter, and a little pewter bird he picked up from a street vendor.

Personality: Cole is a dreamer, but a passionate one. While he will occasionally have his moments where his head is in the clouds, he is just as prone to moments of startling clarity and bursts of activity. He is arrogant and many people find this rather off-putting, but Cole likes to think he's just weeding out the people he wants to be around. He likes to be in charge of a situation, and if he feels like control is slipping away, he gets angry and will resist the shift in dynamic. Cole can be argumentative and combative, especially if someone has ideals that contrast his own. That said, he is loyal to those he thinks deserve his loyalty and will staunchly protect those he cares about. He fancies himself to be a good judge of character and has a habit of forming a complete impression of a person after just a minute of conversation. If he realizes he can't peg a person easily, he's immediately drawn to them as an intellectual curiosity. He is quick to anger but just a quick to laugh. He's a man who will walk ten feet in front of whatever group he's with, but will always stop and wait for them to make sure they never fall too far behind.

Cole is studying to be a writer, and before getting trapped wanted to write fantasy novels. Ever since he was a kid, he liked reading old folk tales. After going off to college with a bunch of rich boarding school types, he's lost a lot of his childish naivete and is spiraling dangerously close to alcoholism. However, despite his growing cynicism, he still hangs onto the belief that if he were in charge, the world would be a much better place. With the power granted to him by the COMP, he saw an opportunity to seize power and do just that.

History: Cole is a vegetarian that comes from a middle-class Irish family in Maine. Though his family was Catholic and he was brought to Mass as a child, in early adolescence he grew disillusioned with the Church and their social teachings, preferring to build his own spirituality. The oldest in his family, with two younger sisters, he managed to get into a decent Catholic high school on a scholarship and found that he ranked about fifth or sixth on the school's track team as a distance runner. While not the most prestigious of schools, he was able to get himself a good education and took a particular interest in the classics. He worked nights in a sushi restaurant for two years in high school, and would often go days without sleeping so he could work on stories when he got home. It wasn't a particularly exciting life, but he was happy enough. He got into a college in Hartford on a scholarship and found, much to his dismay, that the student body was composed almost entirely of people in a much higher social strata than he. While he was used to affluence, and his family was able to send him to a decent school, he had little to no experience with the kind of wealth and excess he now was confronted with.

After a little while, he turned to drink to help him tolerate the inaneness of it all and sank into his story-writing to escape. But one day, Cole got bored on campus, so he took the day off from class and bussed down to New York. It had been a long time since he had bought himself anything special, and he felt he deserved a little treat. Nothing like being alone in the city that never slept. When the lockdown hit, he was just getting off the subway near the Upper East Side for a smoke in Central Park and to check out an art museum. Now that it has, he's going to make sure he survives, no matter the cost in lives, and when the dust settles, he plans on being on top.

- Demon -

Race: Raiju

Name: Chifumi, though Cole has dubbed her Fuzzball

Appearance: Chifumi is lightning given shape and life, and normally takes the form of a weasel that sits on Cole's shoulder. Her fur is pure white with streaks of brilliant electric blue that match her eyes. She can also act like something of a diva. An exile among her people, she and Cole have grown close from the start. She looks at him as less of a master and a commander and more as a friend who she deigns to take orders from on occasion.

Abilities: Chifumi, being composed of lightning, uses electrical discharge as her main weapon. She is also very fast, with sharp (albiet small) teeth and claws. Her agility is her greatest asset, because she is rather frail and cannot stand up to repeat heavy blows. Though she can dart in and out, she prefers not to dirty her paws at all and use the electricity she generates to stun her foes from afar and let Cole deal with the hand-to-hand.

Last edited:

TheSequelReturns

Faithful Crusader
@Everyone: I think I'll go ahead and get this started in around five days time, as a head's up to everyone who hasn't finished their sign-ups yet. I don't want to let this sit too long without getting off the ground.

@Firebrand: Alright. Accepted.

@thesilverwolf: Sure, Makara is fine.

@CuriousHeartless: That'll do. Accepted.

Niihyl

Posthuman
Sorry for the delay! I was having a bit of trouble hashing everything together.

---

Name: Jacky di Senna

Appearance: At a glance, Jacky hardly looks like the sort of person who would survive the apocalypse. For one, he’s not particularly tall at 5’7” or so, and rather skinny as well. Often sickly, Jacky has a very frail physique, with pale, papery skin and soft features. He’s not bedridden, but he looks as if he’ll be blown over by the slightest breeze. His oval-shaped glasses are eternally perched a little low on his nose, half-hiding dark, owlish eyes and giving him a bookish demeanor. His curly brown hair is of medium length, and he is clean-shaven. Even after a couple days without a razor, some prickly shadows make up all the facial hair he can muster. Some men just aren’t destined for mighty beards.

Clothing-wise, Jacky normally dresses in neat but unassuming clothing. From t-shirts and button-ups to reasonable pants and jeans, nothing in his wardrobe really warrants a second glance. The only exception, perhaps, is the lone silver loop in his left ear which – let it be known – wasn’t his idea. When things started exploding, Jacky was dressed casually in sneakers, an unmarked white t-shirt and comfortable denim jeans, carrying naught but his COMP and his wallet.

Personality: Jacky is the quintessential doormat nice guy. Kind, level-headed and non-confrontational, he’s the ‘designated driver’ in his group of friends, the one that can always be trusted to not get completely smashed after a party. He does his best to keep everything running smoothly: cooking breakfast for his roommates, reminding them about key assignments and listening to whatever they have to say, all with a cheery smile. Those that look closely may notice a sense of distance in his eyes, but he wears the smile very well. Well enough that no one ever realizes how deeply dissatisfied he really is.

You see, Jacky’s always been a hard worker. Despite having no special gift for academics, he does his best to study, participate in extracurricular activities and otherwise set himself up for a bright future. It’s never been enough for him, though. His grades delighted his parents, and his demeanor made him close friends, but Jacky himself was never content. He pretends, for everyone else’s sake. He doesn’t want to disappoint anyone, as he genuinely cares for his friends and family, and doesn’t want to burden them with his problems. Still, he doesn’t actually give a damn about profit margins, chemical compounds or 19th century authors. Working a white-collar job for a few decades before retiring and dying is a miserable prospect to him, six-figure salary be damned.

Say one thing for Jacky di Senna, say he’s ambitious. What he really wants is to do something important, to make a difference. To not be among the millions who lived and died without ever doing anything worth noting. He was never smart, strong or talented enough to do anything incredible in the past, but in the rather particular situation he’s found himself in, he’s got much better odds. Something’s going on; angels, demons and pagan gods don’t manifest on Earth for no good reason, and governments don’t surround civilian populations with military units. Whatever’s happening, Jacky’s determined to get to the bottom of it… or get to be on top of it. He knows he wants power, but he’s not entirely sure what he’ll do with it once he gets it.

Alone in Manhattan, surrounded by strangers, Jacky doesn’t have anyone to disappoint anymore. He retains the mild, friendly visage, as a lifetime’s habit is hard to break, but underneath the wan smile is a surprising degree of ruthlessness and a simmering temper. If he wants to achieve his goals, he has to survive, and nothing can get in the way of that. He’s seen enough movies to know that being apocalypse-savvy means being cynical. Resources are scarce and no one can be trusted. Those who want to survive will take up some degree of brutality, or they’ll starve for the sake of strangers. In addition, as he is no longer obligated to repress his emotions, he can show a vicious side when truly upset, spitting venomous words as well as anyone.

That’s not to say Jacky enjoys cruelty or violence. In fact, the sight of blood and gore make him a little ill, and needless violence appalls him. And of course, in a mano-a-mano fight, he’d lose to just about anyone. Both problems have been neatly solved for him, though. Commanding a Demon to commit an atrocity or casting spells from afar are easier on both his physique and his conscience. He strives for ruthlessness, but he isn’t sociopathic enough to be truly heartless. The sight of people in pain troubles him, so he does his best to turn to violence only when necessary, and to distance himself from his sins.

History: Jacky was born in Seattle to Ellen and Michael di Senna, the youngest of three children. His elder siblings were already eleven and thirteen years old, and both left for college when Jacky was very young, so Jacky grew up much like an only child. They were decidedly middle-class, but perfectly content. Jacky’s parents were loving and kind, and Jacky himself was a quiet, respectful child.

Yet the fortunes of the di Senna family took a turn for the worse when Jacky was ten. His father lost his job, and was devastated. Caring for his family was of the utmost importance to him, and he had lost the ability to do that. Sending two children to college had been expensive as well, so debts began to pile up. They had to downsize, cutting down on the luxuries for a while. When there were no gifts under the Christmas tree that year, Jacky saw the agonized look in his father’s eyes and vowed not to complain. He wouldn’t trouble his family with something so petty. He didn’t want them worrying about him on top of everything else. He worked hard in school, bringing home the stellar report cards that always seemed to comfort his parents. He smiled constantly, despite his tendency toward ill health, pretending he didn’t realize anything was wrong.

A year and a half later, his father found work and everything started going back to normal. They had gotten lucky; they had turned everything around before it became unsalvageable. Yet Jacky kept up the façade. A sensitive child, his parents’ stress had affected him. It seemed to him that not bothering others with his thoughts was the right thing to do. It was simply self-sufficiency, after all, and wasn’t that something everyone should strive for?

As he grew older, he grew increasingly discontent. He didn’t have any particular reason for it; he just didn’t feel happy about anything. None of his school subjects were especially enthralling, and none of his successes felt very meaningful at all. Why, after all, should he be happy about that A in earth science? What use was this little ink letter that proclaimed to the world that Jacky di Senna has a 13 year old’s grasp of geology? However, in ninth grade, Jacky read something that he took to heart. It was a quote of Ray Bradbury’s: “Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made… The difference between the man who just cuts lawns and a real gardener is in the touching, he said. The lawn-cutter might just as well not have been there at all; the gardener will be there a lifetime.”

The concept resonated with Jacky. It put a face on his unhappiness. It was a fear of worthlessness, of having no real effect on the world around him. It was a feeling that everything he did was pointless. If he had confided in anyone, perhaps he could have gotten over the bout of teenage nihilism, but instead he obsessed over it. He tried to do things he thought were worth doing. He tried to write, trying to create something to leave behind. He signed up for science fairs, trying to create something new. Yet he couldn’t. He threw his drafts away in disgust, and he wasn’t inventive enough to perform noteworthy experiments. He may have excelled compared to his teachers and his parents’ mediocre standards, but Jacky’s own were much higher… and he was coming to the realization that he would never meet them. No matter how hard he worked, he couldn’t change the world. He didn’t have the talent, the intellect or the work ethic to be among the few who would.

So he carried on, still smiling, still pretending. He managed to get into New York University College of Arts and Science, with plans to pursue studies in the field of International Relations. He was good at smiling and nodding, after all, and working in an embassy somewhere could at least be interesting. Two months after graduating from high school, he hugged his parents goodbye and got on a plane to New York. Once there, he managed to fit in swimmingly; his freshman year went by with little incident.

On the day the lockdown began, Jacky was shopping in SoHo on a friend’s insistence. She had wanted to spice up his wardrobe a little. As it turned out, his wardrobe wasn’t the only thing to be spiced up.

– Demon –

Race: Ronin (Touki Race)
Nickname: N/A

Appearance: The Ronin is an imposing figure, nearly seven feet tall and clad from head to toe in the traditional lamellar armor of a feudal era Samurai. The armor is heavily worn and damaged in many places, made up of uncolored and unadorned plates of leather and iron. He bears no crest and no name. The faceplate of his helmet has been torn off entirely, revealing that he has an empty-eyed skull for a face. A pair of swords rests at his hip, a longer katana and a shorter wakizashi. Like his armor, the swords are chipped and worn, though no less deadly for their wear.

Abilities: The Ronin is a robust physical fighter, with nothing in the way of magic or trickery. With his racial ability Aggravate, he can strike with greater power at the cost of his own life force, and possessed with a Knight Soul, he can move to absorb a hit meant for his master. He has no resistances, but also no weaknesses.

Next Demon: Lilim

Firebrand

Indomitable
Beefed up some parts of my SU to be a little more coherent and establish a bit more character. Quick question: do we need to have two demons, and would it give us any kind of edge if we do? One of the things I'd like to explore is characterizing Cole's relationship with Chifumi (and any other demon he later contracts) and making her into more of a character herself and less of a fighting machine. Granted, I could do that with her and another demon, but I think the dynamic between her and her human partner is something that could be cool to investigate. I'd like to try it, but if having a second demon off the bat will give me a better advantage in the RP, I'll add one in.

TheSequelReturns

Faithful Crusader
@Niihyl: Very good. Accepted.

@Monster Guy: That'll work.

@Firebrand: Its not required to have a second demon. In fact, you won't get your second demon at the same time as your first. Calling a second demon only gives you the chance to determine ahead of time what the next demon in-your line-up will be. If you don't call one, it will be determined partially by chance and partially by your character. The only benefit is the ability to pre-plan, if you'd like.

And your idea with Chifumi is ok as well. There's a few others who mentioned a similar set-up before, so its ok to keep her around as a character in her own right. Just know that she will eventually be outclassed by enemy demons.

rotrum

Ice Cold
Oh, well. I thought the secondary demon would be something very early on.

In that case, can my eventual secondary demon be the goddess Satet, who would be very much like an offensive, Bow & Arrow-using contrast to Heqet, with a minor water-based healing/cleansing ability? (Felt the need to describe her since she has no corresponding demon.)

CuriousHeartless

Hey, should we make a sign-up for our secondary and beyond demons? I know you aren't requiring it, but it helps to define their power. Although, maybe on fusions where you decide what we get, you might want to do that. I'm not going to beg for it, we can just define their powers when they appear and have you approve them then without a full sign-up, just saying something that popped into my head.

Firebrand

Indomitable
And your idea with Chifumi is ok as well. There's a few others who mentioned a similar set-up before, so its ok to keep her around as a character in her own right. Just know that she will eventually be outclassed by enemy demons.

I know, but once she's outlived her usefulness she'll become more like a mascot and foil, someone for the character to talk to if and when he isolates himself.

TheSequelReturns

Faithful Crusader
@rotrum: You do get your 2nd demon very early on, just not instantly. And yes, Satet is fine.

@CuriousHeartless: There's no need to make another sign-up for your 2nd. Things like that will be handled in the RP Thread or the DT, depending. Most of the time I'll just give you a general guideline on abilities and let you improvise from there. And any ideas you have for later can be pre-approved via PM or by posting in the DT (once its set up) should you want to pre-plan.

@Firebrand: Ok, that's fine.

rotrum

Ice Cold
It's, uhm, been a week since you said five days. Any delays we should know about?