• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dewpider Gets Lana!? (1014)

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Not caught.

This day I lost all the hope for SM

About 40 weeks late, but young and naive aren't the worst qualities to have.

DatsRight

Bah, hype bait strikes again.

Odd they put so much focus on a POTD though. Part of me is kinda hoping this is an arc thing like with Litten, who didn't get captured until some time after.

It was an okay episode standalone I suppose, it shown Dewpider's nature in detail (we even got a bit of Araquanid) but again not a lot relevant to Lana otherwise. It didn't even add much character development to Popplio (I remember many people were hoping it would have a jealous dynamic with Dewpider, while it just seems to be the generic 'wild Pokemon that's a dick to everyone else' and the main Pokemon defending themselves).

Granted Dewpider's bond with Lana was superficial, it didn't even recognise her without the bubble and as mentioned, was a standoffish jerk to everyone else. You felt sorry for what it went through and it being a butt monkey (even in the end it only got a bone thrown by amusing chance, the Sunskit won but evolved into a Masquerain so was happy to ditch it's home anyway) but I'm not sure if it's a Pokemon that's made for Lana (it's annoying they picked a line that was part of her game team though, they knew what they were doing there).

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
ALRIGHT! SO that was just a huge disappointment... twice in a row. lol.

Well as everyone has stated already, obviously the girls aren't getting development much at all, but I can only hope they are setting up a capture between Dewpider and Lana in the future... but seriously I've lost hope we'll even see dewpider again...

I enjoyed all the moments with dewpider going around trying to find a new home, and the battle with surskit was on point, but again dewpider should have really been captured unless they're saving it for an awesome capture episode with further development.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
And count me as one of the people who’s not upset she didn’t catch it. Most of the Sun and Moon’s cast Pokémon has been so predictable thanks to games (Soph potential Vikavolt, Kiawe’s Marowak and Mallows Steene). I’m glad the writers aren’t giving her another predictable Pokémon that anyone who’s played the games can already have a good idea what will be caught. Give her a Squirtle or another water type Pokémon but the trial captains following their exact game version teams was getting boring.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I don't know which episode trolled us harder, this or the Kalos League finale.

The fact Lana missed that opportunity to catch Dewpider has made SM all but much worse for me, since it looks very likely that all the girls' teams won't get any development or new team members. Mallow did have an evolution, but the thought of Lana becoming Ash's first companion to not get a single team change is becoming more and more likely to be true.

I seriously believe that Lillie, Lana and Mallow will go down as even worse than Iris for me when it comes to the writers' treatment of the female characters. Iris may be annoying, but at least she caught some Pokemon, unlike these three girls who will likely get no development while Ash gets everything just because he's the main character. Shows just how much I hate writers who give unfair treatment to certain characters.

It's because of the bad treatment by the writers of the main females that I now believe SM is indeed worse than BW.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl

The fact Lana missed that opportunity to catch Dewpider has made SM all but much worse for me, since it looks very likely that all the girls' teams won't get any development or new team members. Mallow did have an evolution, but the thought of Lana becoming Ash's first companion to not get a single team change is becoming more and more likely to be true.

I seriously believe that Lillie, Lana and Mallow will go down as even worse than Iris for me when it comes to the writers' treatment of the female characters. Iris may be annoying, but at least she caught some Pokemon, unlike these three girls who will likely get no development while Ash gets everything just because he's the main character. Shows just how much I hate writers who give unfair treatment to certain characters.

It's because of the bad treatment by the writers of the main females that I now believe SM is indeed worse than BW.
The hell do you mean by Lillie not getting development?

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia

When it comes to the writers bad treatment of female characters in terms of Pokémon teams and battling, Iris doesn’t take the cake lol. In fact I’d argue after her saga is when the writers treatment of female characters got sketchy.

According to fans I thought Lillie was “getting TOO much development”

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

Lol Lillie isn't being treated that bad :rolleyes:

DatsRight

I think the problem was pinpointed in the Gen 8 thread in that some of the SM cast struggle in terms of character agency.

Character agency: "A character’s agency pushes, creates and changes the plot. The characters contribute to the existence of the story, and the audience then connects with characters based on empathy, sympathy, and pathos; therefore, one of the most basic and fundamental aspects of creating a character is making them feel and seem human."

Now character agency has always been an issue with the protagonists of the anime in places, especially the third wheel male companions (they're nicknamed that for a reason) but I think SM's downplay of goal focus for characterisation and slice of life (not to mention having twice as many main characters) is furthering that issue. Some characters like Ash and Kiawe are doing just fine, maybe better than the norm, because even without a lot of goal focus they can contribute to the story in some unique way. Compare this episode to the Passimian one for example, which similarly disappointed people with no capture, but still involved Ash in a very developed and unique way. Others like Lana and Mallow however sometimes struggle, they spend a lot of episodes in the background, and even in some of their centre stage episodes they rely on padding like Team Rocket to set things up or act as dumbed down plot devices. They resultantly also have two of the blandest Pokemon.

This episode was basically a glorified POTD episode with Lana as a bit player. It was enjoyable enough, but without any sort of real progression or development, it didn't do much for her at all. Fun filler episode, poor Lana episode.

Last edited:

Epicocity

And count me as one of the people who’s not upset she didn’t catch it. Most of the Sun and Moon’s cast Pokémon has been so predictable thanks to games (Soph potential Vikavolt, Kiawe’s Marowak and Mallows Steene). I’m glad the writers aren’t giving her another predictable Pokémon that anyone who’s played the games can already have a good idea what will be caught. Give her a Squirtle or another water type Pokémon but the trial captains following their exact game version teams was getting boring.

I'd personally argue that while, yes, Lana catching Dewpider may have been predictable from the games, I think it still would have been better caught than not caught given Lana's dream in the anime of creating a giant bubble. It has a bubble on its head so it just seemed like a perfect fit...that got squandered sadly.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I'd personally argue that while, yes, Lana catching Dewpider may have been predictable from the games, I think it still would have been better caught than not caught given Lana's dream in the anime of creating a giant bubble. It has a bubble on its head so it just seemed like a perfect fit...that got squandered sadly.
Yeah, this would have been perfect for her :(
Not that I'm really surprised by it though since similar situations like this happened before with May and Iris.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Yeah but a lot of characters capture Pokémon that has nothing to do with their goals and or unexpected to be caught by them. Iris caught an Emolga and owned an Excadrill and despite May and Dawn being coordinators they caught not traditionally cute Pokémon like Munchlax and Mamoswine. My point in saying this is that characters have “odd captures” that fans don’t predict and quite frankly Lana catching the ONLY other people known for bubbles is too predictable at least as a second capture. Popplio’s and Lana’s bubble dream was shared between them so I don’t see why she needs mutiple pokemon doing the exact same thing

Xuxuba

She used to, but now she doesn't get any.

I had a feeling the writers would make her fade into the background once the AF arc was done.

Which is blatant considering she was pretty much the only SM companion who was getting development.

Anyway, at least this filler was somewhat fun and Dewpider got some development, although he is probably not going to appear again, unless it's a quick cameo or something like that.

DatsRight

@Dragalge It's because Lillie is still only stuck with one proper Pokemon. That's why I consider her being treated badly.

Lillie I'm hit and miss with, since while she is underplayed in many episodes, I'm willing to excuse it to SOME degree because of her late start and her condition hindering her progression as a trainer for a whole season. I do agree she should really get a capture soon though.

Lillie also seems to get more focus as a character than a trainer. She's not COMPLETELY lacking, she can use Snowy resourcefully and has taught her a couple moves, but it doesn't seem like her primary focus a lot of the time. This does stifle her use at times, I noticed while she does get more episodes than the non-Ash characters, a lot of them make her feel a bit like a pinball protagonist, having internal development but being inactive or a damsel in distress while Ash or someone else does most of the physical contribution. There are a few good exceptions where she uses Snowy, or her 'smart girl' role comes in handy, but they're a bit sporadic.

Epicocity

Yeah but a lot of characters capture Pokémon that has nothing to do with their goals and or unexpected to be caught by them. Iris caught an Emolga and owned an Excadrill and despite May and Dawn being coordinators they caught not traditionally cute Pokémon like Munchlax and Mamoswine. My point in saying this is that characters have “odd captures” that fans don’t predict and quite frankly Lana catching the ONLY other people known for bubbles is too predictable at least as a second capture. Popplio’s and Lana’s bubble dream was shared between them so I don’t see why she needs mutiple pokemon doing the exact same thing
I see your point (though we all know Emolga was caught to service the Pika-clone trend that Pachirisu started), but I guess I'd rather take story cohesion for Lana over unpredictability, especially since I feel she's been the best written SM character up to this point.

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
Lillie is the best pokegirl. If you hate her, just leave her alone.

OT: Yeah, I'm disappointed.. I hoped Lana would catch Dewpider. Oh well.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I am beyond disappointed right now. Lana needs another capture, like, NOW! I don't want her to be the first main character to never have a team change.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Well, color me surprised! :eek: This episode was the perfect setup for Lana to catch Dewpider, and the summaries all made it seem like she would, so I'm really surprised she didn't. However, the end of the episode seemed to leave things a bit...incomplete, I suppose. There still might be a chance, however slim, that we'll see Dewpider in the future, perhaps when it has evolved into Araquanid.

I suppose the fact that Dewpider only had a crush on bubble-head Lana and didn't seem to recognize her when she didn't have that bubble on her head should have been a hint that she might not catch it. That made its crush rather superficial, after all. Popplio's "jealousy" turned out to be more anger than anything else, and its anger was justified, given that Dewpider was a bit of a jerk who attacked any Pokémon who got near Lana—including Pikachu and Shiron, who were trying to approach Dewpider, not Lana.

I didn't mind the first third or so of the episode focusing on Dewpider and its journey to find a new home. In fact, I actually liked that. It gave Dewpider more character, and it made it more satisfying when it finally found its own home at the end of the episode (even if I was disappointed that that home wasn't with Lana).