• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dewpider Gets Lana!? (1014)

dman_dustin

Yikes, except Iris and Cilan did interact and undoubtedly were meant to be written as polar episodes. If you honestly believe they never interacted... yikes because I’m willing to bet they’ve had more meaningful interactions than Dawn x Brock, Serena x Clemont and May x Brock.
I wasn't talking about their interaction, I was talking about their role within the group. Such as May, Dawn, Serena having more goal oriented roles within the group that acted like a 2nd badge quest person, better than roles of someone like Brock who only existed to pad they dynamic.

Which is why Iris and Cilan were negatively balanced because they had nothing to bring to the group except to pad out the dynamic, but Cilan had the advantage over Iris, because despite Cilan not having a goal, Cilan included himself into a lot more episodes because he was treated as a "sommelier of everything" the only thing Iris was used for was the rare dragon related story (Georgia), and to act as the opposite of Cilan, which was far more uncommon than Cilan's "science sommelier" but still were both locked into group dynamic roles without having much to offer the group except to be Ash's traveling friend.

My ultimate point was, one traveling companion of Ash's is usually treated like crap, so it makes sense that when you increase Ash's "traveling" companions, even more are going to be treated like crap, barely receiving development, and all they get are at best "meaningful" fillers just for character building purposes (such as solely Mallow and Oranguru), as opposed to something that deals with the relationship between trainer and Pokemon, kind of like Ash and Pikachu in the island episode.

This episode barely qualifies as a "meaningful filler" since it was mostly devoted to Dewpider that ultimately served no purpose.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I wasn't talking about their interaction, I was talking about their role within the group. Such as May, Dawn, Serena having more goal oriented roles within the group that acted like a 2nd badge quest person, better than roles of someone like Brock who only existed to pad they dynamic.

Which is why Iris and Cilan were negatively balanced because they had nothing to bring to the group except to pad out the dynamic, but Cilan had the advantage over Iris, because despite Cilan not having a goal, Cilan included himself into a lot more episodes because he was treated as a "sommelier of everything" the only thing Iris was used for was the rare dragon related story (Georgia), and to act as the opposite of Cilan, which was far more uncommon than Cilan's "science sommelier" but still were both locked into group dynamic roles without having much to offer the group except to be Ash's traveling friend.

My ultimate point was, one traveling companion of Ash's is usually treated like crap, so it makes sense that when you increase Ash's "traveling" companions, even more are going to be treated like crap, barely receiving development, and all they get are at best "meaningful" fillers just for character building purposes (such as solely Mallow and Oranguru), as opposed to something that deals with the relationship between trainer and Pokemon, kind of like Ash and Pikachu in the island episode.

This episode barely qualifies as a "meaningful filler" since it was mostly devoted to Dewpider that ultimately served no purpose.
I agree with everything you said but this, we've seen recurring mons get caught for a while (heck, rowlet is the only one in ash's team that was NOT a R.P before), lana could easily end up catching it later on, kinda how some people were already throwing the towel on litten because he wasn't caught in ep 7

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I agree with everything you said but this, we've seen recurring mons get caught for a while (heck, rowlet is the only one in ash's team that was NOT a R.P before), lana could easily end up catching it later on, kinda how some people were already throwing the towel on litten because he wasn't caught in ep 7
Well, in this case, timing is also an issue. Litten's first focus episode was very early in the saga, so the delay wasn't a problem. Assuming SM is about as long as XY and BW were, this episode is happening right around the halfway point. That would mean, in 60-something episodes, the anime still has to cover the Ula'Ula and Poni Trials and Grand Trials, whatever the writers plan to do with Hapu, Guzma and Po Town, six more Ultra Beasts, a very likely climax with Necrozma, Ash's fifth capture and development for it, development for the other members of Ash's team, and the League. And that's before considering the classmates and development episodes for them. Someone's probably going to get screwed over here, because there is no way the writers can sufficiently cover that much in only around 60-something episodes. And let's face it: it's most likely going to be the girls who get screwed over in favor of everything else, because they've been getting royally screwed over ever since the AF arc ended. Seriously, at this point, even Team Rocket are being treated better than they are.

Sure, Lana could catch this Dewpider later, most likely as an Araquanid considering it hasn't been focused on yet. And I'd comment on some stuff said in the episode according to the subs, but I'd get in trouble for doing that. But even if it happens, so what? We're getting to the point where it'll be too late for it to get sufficient development even if she does catch it.

Honestly? I wouldn't be so upset about this episode if it came earlier.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia

Someone’s “role” in the group is subjective. Each character has their own goals and ambitions. I don’t see how Serena’s Princess Key quest and Dawn’s and May’s Ribbon quest effected their groups besides detouring to watch them compete. And most of Cilan’s having numerous of interests it’s mostly treated for gags. To limit Iris to Dragon only episodes (which she should have a lot since she is um... training to be a Dragon Master) is ignoring her episodes dedicated to getting Emolga to obey her, her and Excadrills back story, the reason why she dropped out of school, Drayden’s and her’s history and so on. You can say you didn’t like how Iris was handled but she had episodes outside of “being the opposite of Cilan and rare dragon related stories”

NPT

Just a member
This episode sucked hardcore! Darn, to think I expected Lana to finally get a second Pokémon after 70 F***ING EPISODES! *sigh*

What a waste.

Last edited:

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
I love the documentary-esque framing of the A-Part. It makes me wish that a full Pokemon documentary would be created some day.

I love Suiren and am glad she's able to have episodes like this without it necessarily meaning she has to capture a Pokemon (although I suspect she still will down the line). It really adds to the richness of the overall tapestry.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was hoping that this would be a Suiren focused episode where she caught Shizukumo, yet it didn't happen the way I expected. I could handle the lack of a new capture, but the fact that this was yet another funny and simple episode is what irked me. SM has far too many of these.

Daizy

I call you honey
Dewpider was so cute in the anime unlike the games which make it look like an average Bug Pokemon. Lana has enough on her plate so I wasn't salty that she didn't catch Dewpider.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Daizy said:
Dewpider was so cute in the anime unlike the games which make it look like an average Bug Pokemon. Lana has enough on her plate so I wasn't salty that she didn't catch Dewpider.

She only owns one Pokemon however, so I don't think her catching Shizukumo here would've upset the balance. Two Pokemon can be handled well.

Evanibble

Just watched this episode for the first time, and I really don't understand why they didn't have Lana catch Dewpider. They set up the entire episode to do it!

I'm just seriously confused, and a little disappointed since I like the SM anime. They could've done pretty bad when it comes to captures in this series. Lots of missed opportunities.

Evanibble

Oh, i'm definitely used to it. All i'm saying is that it just makes no sense at all. That's it.

Just like the Alolan Sandshrew episode. Lordy...

Leonhart

Imagineer
Evanibble said:
Just watched this episode for the first time, and I really don't understand why they didn't have Lana catch Dewpider. They set up the entire episode to do it!

I'm just seriously confused, and a little disappointed since I like the SM anime. They could've done pretty bad when it comes to captures in this series. Lots of missed opportunities.

Presumably the writers want Suiren to focus solely on her Ashimari for the remainder of SM, although why they teased the possibility of Shizukumo being captured to such an extent is anyone's guess.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Oh, i'm definitely used to it. All i'm saying is that it just makes no sense at all. That's it.

Just like the Alolan Sandshrew episode. Lordy...
Maybe she thought she wasn’t ready to have one yet. Or she might have not caught Dewpider because it seemed she didn’t want Popplio to become jealous.

Evanibble

In universe both of those would make sense. What confuses me is why the writers chose not to give her one

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In universe both of those would make sense. What confuses me is why the writers chose not to give her one
They probably didn’t want to promote it as one of her Pokémon and it may have been decided in an internal vote. I don’t think everyone would have wanted her to get Dewpider and it may have been the case that most of the writers wouldn’t want it on the cast.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Man I’m gutted this Dewpider wasn’t caught, it sounds just like Butters from South Park, shame it didn’t join the main cast.

Also strange episode, I’m 6 mins in and not a single human or main cast character has appeared....

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
While it would of been cool if Lana got another Pokemon, I’d say it still wouldn’t save this episode. It’s one of the most boring yet, probably the most boring in the whole Pokemon series. Dewspider just continually does the same thing over & over & over & over... (get out water, lose bubble, struggle to find more water, get another bubble, fail some more, etc...). And this dewspider is just set to continually fail. Like to win his water, he didn’t even have to beat the sirskit/maskerine, because it was obvious once it evolved dewspider was screwed if it still wanted the spot. That was so anti climatic. I even like the episodes featuring illina more & I hated those episodes he was featured in! Nothing was funny, it was far from interesting, & nothing happened except the same thing introduced 5 min in, & i don’t give an f about this dewspider.

-20/10

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Oh my God, narrator, shut up shut up SHUT UP! You're channeling that ***** who ruined the JP version of Pikachu's Rescue Adventure.

Oh, look, another shot that can look nasty out of context that got kept in the dub. Yeah, ready to admit that you were wrong to characterize TPCi as oversensitive content-policing cowards? Now then, if you thought I was going to join you all and complain about the pronunciation of Dewpider's name...

this is a rare time you'd be right. It really is stupid and makes no sense considering what real-world creature Dewpider is based on. Also, they totally did it to make a pun on the title of the Wachowskis' worst movie ever.

But I digress. It's nice to have an episode whose opening 10 minutes were purely Pokemon-focused. But damn it all, it would've been so much better without narration. First the Pikachu shorts except the dub of Pikachu's Rescue Adventure keep letting narration intrude, now the TV show, too?

The forest scene's music and the montage of Dewpider going around town to try to find a pond were the highlights of the episode's soundtrack. Also, is it just me, or did the dub bring back that awesome Surskit battle theme from the Viola gym battle episode? But what was with the reuses of the Wedding March (especially that second usage over a battle)? If the episode must have a romance theme, why not a remix of some other stock romance theme, like that one that tends to play in every sitcom ever? I know the JP version made that mistake, so it's a shame the dub repeated it.

So close, yet so far. So much telling when there should've been showing. Damn it all to Hell.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
What's wrong with Dewpider's pronunciation? It's just a combination of dew and spider. At least that's how it sounds like to me in the Dutch dub.