• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingudora

My favourite
I think the reason Erikiteru isn't pure Electric is because it generates electricity from sun rays (an outside source) compared to other pure or type1 Electric-types who seemingly can generate electricity themselves. So if it didn't regenerate electricity, it would be an "normal" lizard.

But it still focused around electricity in it behavior and such, hence why it's not Normal/Electric.

gpt11

I think the reason Erikiteru isn't pure Electric is because it generates electricity from sun rays (an outside source) compared to other pure or type1 Electric-types who seemingly can generate electricity themselves. So if it didn't regenerate electricity, it would be an "normal" lizard.

But it still focused around electricity in it behavior and such, hence why it's not Normal/Electric.

maybe its going to evolve into this gens chansey it does have an electric giga drain... JOKE

I cant wait to see more information though

LusterPurge

Victory Star
Make Elekiteru a three-stage line with the final being around lvl. 55 (Yes, I know it's a HUGE stretch for early on, but I'm going for it as Dragon) then I could see it as an Electric/Dragon...but sadly I can't really see that.

I'd prefer if the evos evolve in the forties. Just a personal preference though.

And why not?

Vivian

If pikachu didnt generated electricity, it would be a "normal" hamster/mouse/ whatever.
As for the ressurection ability, it would fit ho-oh better. There may be a new class of hidden abilities called legendary ability, that only legendaries can have.

Cuddy

Cyndaquil Master
Normal/Electric or Electric/Normal... it's the same either way.
I think it's just a way to emphasize that Elikiteru is not pure Electric.

Birds could have been Flying/[secondary type] since Gen 1, but they have always kept Flying as the secondary type.

Yup and we also got Deerling and Sawsbuck with the Grass/Normal classification. I bet they might do it a few more times to immune ghost Pokemon.

Professor Squirtle

Professor of Rain
The Panda is "Naughty Type" however it's listed as Fighting Attribute. I have a feeling its evolution will align with the described behavioral, thereby evolving into a Dark/Fighting. Not particularly excited for that. To me, this just wreaks (I mean not to use this in a negative way) of the new style with which Sugimori has decided to go. More cartoony, less stoic and realistic (if one can ever get himself to describe Pokemon as "realistic" at all). It's not terribly far gone, but alas, it is different.

I thought that lizard was a malformed dachsund (down to the body shape and ears), but that it's a lizard reminds me of the older generations and Sugimori's ability to convey what animal a Pokemon reflects just barely so that it confused us when observing this (I still don't fully know what Abra is). I always see types combined with Normal as rather inappropriate, as Normal is, or at least was, the absence of any elemental background (to me). I suppose now, Normal is being justified as being its own element, rather than absent of a known one. This fact makes it even stranger that older Pokemon would have their Normal type revamped to fit into a new "Fairy" or "Light" type. I really hope this gains two evolutions, as it looks so neotenous I cannot imagine only receiving one.

Plants use sun to generate their energy. At least, that statement reminds me more closely of Grass than Normal.

The robin with its beady emotionless black eyes and tiny body is sure to receive two evolutions. I love its design and simplicity, still more dynamic in silhouette than our favorite but ever plain Pidgey (though my trusty rose-tints would prevent me from fully acknowledging Sugimori's updated ability to draw in favor of childhood reminiscence).

The goat reminds me of Goht from Majora's Mask, and so this will be its theme when on my team. That you can ride it to me implies that perhaps certain Pokemon have unique out-of-battle abilities? Or is this an HM? Speculations galore.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I want to know who came up with the idea of Fairy type so I can find a glove and smack them around with it.

So the new Pokémon aren't too bad-looking, honestly. I'm genuinely pleased that the panda Pokémon is the Naughty Pokémon, I can't think of the last time a panda was actually not a sweet little thing. I have a feeling the Fighting type is a shout-out to Kung Fu Panda, which I think is pretty cool, honestly. Also, I kinda made fun of Gogoat for a bit yesterday. I swear that's a really dumb name (dumber than Klink, Klang, and Klinklang), but it's so stupid I can't stop saying it. If that's going to remain as its English name, I don't think I'll ever say its name with a straight face ever.

Professor Squirtle

Professor of Rain
I want to know who came up with the idea of Fairy type so I can find a glove and smack them around with it.
That's one way to respond to it, but it exists because people seem even more uncomfortable yelling "Light". Fairy describes multiple ideas in Pokemon, such as the egg group and type (descriptions). I wholly (hope) doubt it would be the true identity of the type, however. It seems more an explanation for what Sylveon appears to be.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Plants use sun to generate their energy. At least, that statement reminds me more closely of Grass than Normal.

Actually Lizard use the sun to warm their body, so Erikiteru not being pure Electric fit. I also it take that you never heard of Solar panel or how they work.

DSDark

Breeder
After reading over the pokebeach information, there are two key pieces of information that make me believe the information is false. 1) the starters secondary types, Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Dark is completely unbalanced. In generation 4 they used the secondary types to balance out the initial Grass/Fire/Water weakness. With the Fighting/Psychic/Dark set it keeps thing unbalanced and makes it harder for each starter to overcome its weakness against the other starters.

the second piece of information that bothers me is the dual type attacks. It's seems two complicated of an idea to work. How would it work against a pokemon that is resistant to one part and super effective to the other half, or immune and super effective. Seems like an idea that would fail in the long run and over complicate the battling system.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Has anyone thought of mock English names for the new pokémon yet?

rocky505

After reading over the pokebeach information, there are two key pieces of information that make me believe the information is false. 1) the starters secondary types, Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Dark is completely unbalanced. In generation 4 they used the secondary types to balance out the initial Grass/Fire/Water weakness. With the Fighting/Psychic/Dark set it keeps thing unbalanced and makes it harder for each starter to overcome its weakness against the other starters.
Gen 3 was unbalanced. Swampert was at a major disadvantage with Sceptile.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon

DSDark

Breeder
Gen 3 was unbalanced. Swampert was at a major disadvantage with Sceptile.

Very true but that was one of the starters, not all of them and Swampert balanced that out by being a tank and having ice beam. Before it's said, I'm aware that we have no idea where the gen 6 starters will fall in the metagame and what moves they will learn. It just doesn't logically make sense for them to have double strengths against one of the other starters

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
I'd prefer if the evos evolve in the forties. Just a personal preference though.

And why not?

Forties would be fine. The reason I can't see it is because most likely our cute little lizard will be early on and having an early on evolve into a dragon seems a tad farfetch'd, I'd happily accept it though.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη

the second piece of information that bothers me is the dual type attacks. It's seems two complicated of an idea to work. How would it work against a pokemon that is resistant to one part and super effective to the other half, or immune and super effective. Seems like an idea that would fail in the long run and over complicate the battling system.

However, WPM explains that there are a few new dual-typed moves. It might be complicated, but it isn't impossible. I'm sure GameFreak could work something out if they wanted to implement dual-typed moves.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I thought that lizard was a malformed dachsund (down to the body shape and ears), but that it's a lizard reminds me of the older generations and Sugimori's ability to convey what animal a Pokemon reflects just barely so that it confused us when observing this (I still don't fully know what Abra is). I always see types combined with Normal as rather inappropriate, as Normal is, or at least was, the absence of any elemental background (to me). I suppose now, Normal is being justified as being its own element, rather than absent of a known one. This fact makes it even stranger that older Pokemon would have their Normal type revamped to fit into a new "Fairy" or "Light" type. I really hope this gains two evolutions, as it looks so neotenous I cannot imagine only receiving one.

Thank you! I'm glad someone agrees with me on the Dachshund theory. I really hope that Electle evolves into a Dachshund/lizard hybrid

rocky505

Very true but that was one of the starters, not all of them and Swampert balanced that out by being a tank and having ice beam. Before it's said, I'm aware that we have no idea where the gen 6 starters will fall in the metagame and what moves they will learn. It just doesn't logically make sense for them to have double strengths against one of the other starters

Swampert did against Blaziken with Water and Ground.

SoulOfSilver

Gym Leader
Glad I finally have a chance to comment on the new Pokemon! I honestly like all of them, and it's making me even more excited for these games and to see the rest of the Dex. I love the Gen 5 games, but the Dex was one of my least favorites. So I'm hoping this one appeals to me more.

Anyway, the panda is adorable. Hopefully it makes a lot of people happy who have been wanting a more traditional panda.

Thank goodness we have a regional bird that isn't brown or black. I love the splash of color and I hope it evolves into something I'd like to use as my flyer in my party.

Erikitel is my favorite. Looks kinda like a dachshund, which is one of my favorite dogs. I even have one myself. :) Hopefully his evo isn't lame so I can use him on my team and name him Dex after my pup.

I've wanted a goat for a while, so I'm happy with Gogoat. Love the riding aspect! I suspect it doesn't have an evolution, so it may not be something I'd use, but we'll see.

PeteDHeat

Im Guessing the dual types would just give neutral damage... or not super effective. The types of the starters don't really mean anything since Swampert was Water/Ground he has super advantage over all Fire Starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.