• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky505

Why do people seem to think Zigzagoon replaces a regional rodent? Has it not occurred to you people that perhaps Fletchling might not be the regional bird? Why would they break the tradition of regional rodent and not regional bird?

Also, I think it's useless to speculate what the obscured sprite in the corner of the Pokedex is. Neither the Natu nor Mareep nor Pidgey icon look identical to it. Perhaps it's a new Pokemon, or perhaps it's an old Pokemon we haven't thought of, or perhaps it's an old Pokemon with an updated icon sprite - we don't know. Thus it's pointless to speculate.

I don't think Ziggy will replace one. We've had multiple rodents in GSC before with Rattata and Sentret.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Why do people seem to think Zigzagoon replaces a regional rodent? Has it not occurred to you people that perhaps Fletchling might not be the regional bird? Why would they break the tradition of regional rodent and not regional bird?

Also, I think it's useless to speculate what the obscured sprite in the corner of the Pokedex is. Neither the Natu nor Mareep nor Pidgey icon look identical to it. Perhaps it's a new Pokemon, or perhaps it's an old Pokemon we haven't thought of, or perhaps it's an old Pokemon with an updated icon sprite - we don't know. Thus it's pointless to speculate.

its still small and furry XD
maybe they werent getting at rodent at all, just small and furry, and rodent fits the bill a lot XD

Gelatini Jejunator

Vote Vanillite! Wait
I don't think Ziggy will replace one. We've had multiple rodents in GSC before with Rattata and Sentret.

Exactly. And that's not even chucking in the option that the regional rodent might be in another part of the Pokedex, and that this is only showing one sector.

@the above: Zigzagoon is still the regional rodent for Hoenn. Kalos deserves one as equally as the other regions do. The term 'regional rodent' doesn't literally mean only rodents are in the tradition - the criteria for a regional rodent is an early, two-stage Normal type. It's just that during RBY-GSC these Normal types were rodents, and thus the term was born. It's odd really, the most recent rodent we've received is Patrat.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Has it not occurred to you people that perhaps Fletchling might not be the regional bird?

Fletchling's screenshot shows it at Lv. 2, it's already confirmed Normal/Flying (a typing used primarily for regional birds, especially post-Gen I), and it's designed small enough to have room to evolve multiple times.

It's not confirmed regional bird, but regional bird seems very likely at this point.

Except it seems extraordinarily similar to Pidgey, at least to me, and the whole point of a "Dex Speculation Thread" is to speculate about sh*t like this.

BayBird

Hummingbird Advocate
Why should it have to escape those stereotypes? It could fly in the face of them instread! I don't see any solid reason to tiptoe around Fairy type as the name- Fae being a variation of a girl's name could make it appear MORE feminine so why use it? No particular reason. It is shorter and easier, but it doesn't exactly role of the tongue- like- 'it's a Fae type?!' 'It's a Fairy type?!'

Fae is a very archaic mostly European spelling of the word so for North American audiences Fairy makes more sense. I see no point in fighting that word! Fae sounds more effeminate in fact a variation of that word is used to mean that!

Why must we cater to North America? Kalos is clearly based off of France. The typing has stayed the same in English versions of the game. Let those from England enjoy some European origins of the word fairy. Fae is perfectly fine. It is quite easy to pronounce. It's short. It's fun. Unova was heavily alluding to North America, both with some Pokemon and the region itself. Give Europe a turn.

Besides. Fae sounds cool. It sounds fine. I love the word fairy, either spelling of it, so I would be fine with it. But fae seems to encompass everything better than the word fairy.

gpt11

well regional birds are usually captured very early on in the games and we have seen a fletchling at level 2 so it is most likley the regional bird

we probally have a regional rodant but we havent seen it yet it may be just before Zigzagoon kind of like how you could get rattata and furret at the start and Pidgey and Hoot Hoot

Gelatini Jejunator

Vote Vanillite! Wait
Fletchling's screenshot shows it at Lv. 2, it's already confirmed Normal/Flying (a typing used primarily for regional birds, especially post-Gen I), and it's designed small enough to have room to evolve multiple times.

It's not confirmed regional bird, but regional bird seems very likely at this point.

Of course, I too agree it is most likely the regional bird, I just found it odd that people would suspect the tradition of regional rodent and not that of regional bird, or why they'd quickly assume Zigzagoon was Kalos' rodent.

Except it seems extraordinarily similar to Pidgey, at least to me, and the whole point of a "Dex Speculation Thread" is to speculate about sh*t like this.

Look more precisely. The 'tail' you're seeing is much closer to the rest of the sprite than in Pidgey's icon. Of course, but it just feels like people aren't paying enough attention to detail.

well regional birds are usually captured very early on in the games and we have seen a fletchling at level 2 so it is most likley the regional bird

we probally have a regional rodant but we havent seen it yet it may be just before Zigzagoon kind of like how you could get rattata and furret at the start and Pidgey and Hoot Hoot

Agreed.

I also agree that perhaps Zigzagoon is a conjunctional regional rodent, ala Rattata and Sentret. I was only contending that it entirely replaced a regional rodent altogether.

mathfranr

im not sure but i dont think it is Pidgey whatevers there its tail is red,but taillow tail isnt red,swellow tail is but im not sure,pidgey is the most likely thing but its body looks blue,im sure it is a bird,if it is swellow the new bird got only one evolution,it starting to look like a new bird to me but it is probably my imagination,maybe it really is swellow but why would the player see swellow before taillow,maybe it is pidgey and its body looks blue because of the image color,looking better i think it is pidgey

Last edited:

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Apparently the main X and Y site says that the Pokedex has over 640 species. That can't be right, unless it's referring to the national dex. I bet we'll have a huge Pokedex but I doubt we'll have nearly every one in existence in the regional dex.

firnen67

Master of Yveltal
My theory is that the woman with the Marill is a tourist,as she is taking pictures.So Marill is just the pokemon she brought on the trip to the region of Kalos

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Apparently the main X and Y site says that the Pokedex has over 640 species. That can't be right, unless it's referring to the national dex. I bet we'll have a huge Pokedex but I doubt we'll have nearly every one in existence in the regional dex.

This is the line you're referring to?

These Pokémon add to the more than 640 Pokémon that have been encountered in previous games. [bold mine]

yeah no that's Gen V National

Icing Sugar

Maybe that bird in the dex is spearow instead of pidgey? :eek:

WNDR

I have a theory and massive hope (boyhood hero being referenced here) for fletchling.
With its name possibly deriving from hatchling + fletching,
Fletching a term in crafting arrows, could this little robin have ties to another European Robin who uses a bow and arrow.
Robin Hood.
Please use this for inspiration GF, I will do unworldly things for this to be true.

mathfranr

i think the body is blue but it could be the image color,right now im between pidgey and swellow or even a new bird(dont really think so),im sure it is not spearow its tail got 3 feathers while the one on the regional dex only 2

Gelatini Jejunator

Vote Vanillite! Wait
I have a theory and massive hope (boyhood hero being referenced here) for fletchling.
Fletching a term in crafting arrows, could this little robin have ties to another European Robin who uses a bow and arrow.
Robin Hood.
Please use this for inspiration GF, I will do unworldly things for this to be true.

That is an excellent idea. To add more hope, its tail looks like the types of fletch used on arrows.

gpt11

Robin Hood.

that would be cool if it evolved into a hawk with a red hood crest :p

Status
Not open for further replies.