• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Wiki:
"Because of their association with the ballet La Sylphide, where sylphs are identified with fairies and the medieval legends of fairyland, as well as a confusion with other "airy spirits" (e.g., in William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream), a slender girl may be referred to as a sylph.

Sylph has passed into general language as a term for minor spirits, elementals, or faeries of the air. Fantasy authors will sometimes employ sylphs in their fiction. Sylphs could create giant artistic clouds in the skies with their airy wings."

And the German name says it flat out: Feelinara. Fee = fairy, literally.

Sylveon can be a fairy Pokémon without having a type named on it, just like Clefairy and Snubbull. Don't forget we don't know Sylveon's specie yet.

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
Wiki:
"Because of their association with the ballet La Sylphide, where sylphs are identified with fairies and the medieval legends of fairyland, as well as a confusion with other "airy spirits" (e.g., in William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream), a slender girl may be referred to as a sylph.

Sylph has passed into general language as a term for minor spirits, elementals, or faeries of the air. Fantasy authors will sometimes employ sylphs in their fiction. Sylphs could create giant artistic clouds in the skies with their airy wings."

Butterflies are pretty Fairy-like too. Plus, names aren't always an indication of what type a pokemon is.

Deadly.Braviary

You said it yourself:

Wiki:

Right now, I'd say either make Sylveon Bug-type and give us more good Bug-type moves, or make it pure Flying, which so far has been exclusive to Tornadus (I don't count Arceus-Flying).

I would love some really good defensive Fire-types this gen, like Heatran, and, like a lot of people, I'm rooting for Poison- and Bug-type legends, but that's another thread.

~Deadly

Everlasting

Everything stays.
So all the information smash gave us like: the ice and poison stuff is...fake?
Or will some stuff change?..

It has never been confirmed. In fact, I think it is purely to get attention.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
They are for Eeveelutions

Good point. But Sylveon, if it is based on Sylph, can mean more then one thing, while all the others Eeveelutions have an evident name (Jolt, Vapor, Flare, Leaf, Glace, Esper or ESP and Umbra).

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

jakovu

If Sylveon name came from "sylph", wouldn't it be named Sylpheon?

Everlasting

Everything stays.
If Sylveon name came from "sylph", wouldn't it be named Sylpheon?

Not necessarily, names can be derived from a word without exactly being the word.

absolfusion

Soon.......
Sooo when is the next E3 anyway?

Yveltal96

A little more human
Congrats on only knowing half about wiki. They take down pretty much any wrong info within minutes.

that's contrary to the point. I am fully aware of that.
the point being, you still pasted info that could also mean that he could in fact be flying because a sylph is in fact a wind elemental

stevencloser

that's contrary to the point. I am fully aware of that.
the point being, you still pasted info that could also mean that he could in fact be flying because a sylph is in fact a wind elemental

A fairy isn't, though, and neither is a Nymph. There's more languages than English.

Also I was replying to your "everyone can edit wiki" because it strongly implied that it's not trustworthy because of it, which is false.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
A fairy isn't, though, and neither is a Nymph. There's more languages than English.

Also I was replying to your "everyone can edit wiki" because it strongly implied that it's not trustworthy because of it, which is false.

It's not trustworthy. Nor can we imply that wiki is false. Wiki is really a 50/50 authentic source of info. Check where the wiki got their sources, if any, and maybe those sources have incorrect/false information.

No, it comes from sylv which means relating to the woods, and Sylvans are fairy creatures that live in woods. And its names in other languages (particularly German) are much less ambiguous.

True. The name is Sylveon, not sylpheon.

Z-nogyroP

whoa whats that
I really, really hope that Sylveon is a Bug, or Flying, or Normal, or whatever, just not Fairy. I really dislike designs that are extensively girly and only exist to be cute(see- Lilligant, Gardevoir, Bellossom, and Audino[note I don't hate any Pokemon that's kind of girlish, like Gothitelle or Wigglytuff, just ones that are clear-cut made for little girls whose minds are filled with happy rainbows and unicorns]). I prefer designs that are absurd and creepy like Dusclops and Shedinja(also why I love Porygon-Z). A Fairy type just seems like something too weird, even for GameFreak(yes, I KNOW you can somewhat present the same argument for Dragons, but I'm not that big a fan of Dragons either). I'd prefer something like Sound, Cyber, or even Light, if I was forced to make a new type, because I don't like new types at all and would prefer just to stay as is.

>.< I hate when I ramble.

Also, I really want them to create something based on a firework. Maybe Dragon/Fire fodder?

Status
Not open for further replies.