• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LusterPurge

Victory Star
I must admit, one thing that really confuses me is why people are so against pre-evolutions of pre-existing pokemon.

Firstly, people who argue against them only ever talk about it from the standpoint of the games - although at this point it is one of the biggest parts of the franchise, they still have comics, trading cards, spin offs, merchandise that ranges from stuffed toys to limited collectibles and the freaking long-running show. The games may need to be balanced with what they put in, and all seem to serve some kind of function but at the end of the day, they have to keep these in mind too - many need to be marketable to more than just the competitive battlers of the mainstream games. It's because of this that pre-evolutions can be so good outside of the games for Gamrefreak and Nintendo - mostly in Japan where cuteness sells.

Bonsly and Mime Jr were great ways to add both cuteness and publicity for the 4th generation all the while adding new stories to tell around them and characters to play with in the show. Brock being a typical breeder, its unsuprising he also got his hands on Happiny that generation and don't forget Mistys Togepi! (though that was introduced in the same generation as its counter parts, I know!).

Secondly, they clearly serve a function in game too. For baby stage Pokemon like Togepo and orginaly Riolu - they can act as a better test for people who like to put a little added effort into raising a Pokemon mid-play-through for a reward with a Pokemon that often can't be found in the wild that generation. Most people chuck them aside due to the extra effort it takes to raise during the play-though but it acts as a nice little unique reward that not to many friends of yours may have put the effort in to raise as of yet. Not too many people I knew sported a Togetic in the second gen during their playthrough - mostly because the younger players tend to put these babys to the side.

The second function - and arguably the best - that they serve in the main games is that they introduce a Pokemon as a possibility to your team far earlier into the game than previously or make a rarer pokemon less elusive when it didn't need to be nor seemingly was it intended. Chingling being a good example of an unintended rarity (with chimecho in the 3rd generation being unnecessarily isolated. Mime Jr, Bonsly and Munchlax are all great examples of one-off Pokemon becoming more rediliy available outside the generations they were introduced.

A third function that is just begging to have more emphasize put onto it is breeding for pre-evos. Pre-evos have been used to make their evolutions easier to get - but what if it worked the other way around? At the moment, getting a pre-evo via breeding requires you to have a held item on the parent. What if this was used as the only way to get one or two pre-evolution? And what if these pre-evolutions actually had a split evolution line - meaning the only way to get this other line of Pokemon was via breeding with the other line actually found in the wild? Sort of like how Wirmples line splits into two affter the first evolution, only one half only being able to be triggered by conditions the baby Pokemon is put under - with the baby Pokemon only found via breeding.. adds more challenge to thous who wish to catch them all - and even better if these Pokemon are viable for battle usage as a good reward!

So yeah, my point being that I would LOVE another SMALL handful of pre-evolutions this generation. They serve a great purpose to the game and shouldn't be belittled to a relative size as their physical form... They at times may be gimicky, but unlike some, they are a functioning, multi-purposed and well thought out gimmick for both a good for the players and business point of view.

(Disclaimer: I don't want every rare and single staged pokemon to gain a pre-evolution - pokemon like Syther, Lapras and Skarmory are fine without a pre evolution - Lapras arguably without and evolution too)

I would quite like to see Nosepass get one though.. Maybe Torkoal could get the Roselia treatment, with both a pre-evo and an evolution. I would prefer to see the second and third gen get some for theirs that have been waiting so long get some spotlight before the 5th gen gets yet even more right affter release. Though Druddigon wouldn't be a bad shout...
I would like a few pre evos but mostly more evos for those who need it..like mawile, dunsparce, and farfetch'd

I would like for tropius to get the roselia treatment.

Tropius pre evo cocano.jpg

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
there really is no actual proof. That Sylveon skit, we don't even know if they used STAB moves. It could have easily been coverage moves such as brick break on the ice.
It's astounding no one takes that into consideration.
Also, not saying there won't be a new type, it could happen, but you can't just say it will happen, because that sylveon skit could have easily have not been Sylveon using STAB moves

I'm not saying it WILL happen, only that I myself is completely sure it will. Kinda. :p

And I know, that's why I used " around the word Proof. I know it's no actual proof. But there are more "proof" supporting Fairy than not. But again, let's not discuss it more, too much going around in circles.

Also, I'm fine with some pre-evos, as long as there's not too many of them.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
He doesn't do all of the different biology based Pokémon.. Just a few that also have been on Bulbapedia's 'Origin of Pokémon'-column. I don't know if it's the same guy, but he's not providing masses of new content otherwise.

OK, let me rephrase. Some of the Pokémon that have more complex and unfamiliar life history's and origins are highlighted in Scythemantis' blog article on his website.

If the "column" was written by Jon Wojcik on Bulbapedia, then it's the same author. Tried looking for the column on Bulbapedia; are you referring to the individual Pokemon pages with the possible basis at the bottom, or an actual article on Bulbapedia?

mtie123

Johto's Hero
Why on earth would GF not just put a new item into the game... "Fairy Wings" Or "Mystic Ribbon" or something like that? This assuming that fairy ends up being a new type, which is really a coin toss for me. The Pokebeach leak got a few things right, but this far before the release of the game a lot could be still up in the air.

Because eeveelutions are used to introduce new evolution methods for their gen maybe? A new method is more likely

Edit: i would like pre evolutions for; Pinsir, Farfetch'd, Heracross, Lapras, Delibird, Tauros, Skarmory and maybe Shuckle

And evolutions for; Qwilfish, Corsola, Girafarig, Dunesparce and Smeargle

Last edited:

Richie_btvs

That tropius pre evo....
I only saw boobs...
I read so much speculations...
That i want a mawile evo...
Didnt reminded it exists till every couple pages someone brings up....
We have 1500+ pages and a lot o mawile love ;)

Vecherom

Lavaridge Trainer
We have 1500+ pages and a lot o mawile love ;)

Also a lot of Sableye love. Gp back to when both Sableye and Mawile were released and I feel like they were tossed aside. Moreso Mawile then Sableye but both are screaming for an evolution.

Regality

Digital King
I want a natural Misdreavus evolution.. I am personally really not happy with how Mismagius looks and since Misdreavus is one of my favorites, would really like for it to get an appealing evolution.

XXD17

Draco rex
I must admit, one thing that really confuses me is why people are so against pre-evolutions of pre-existing pokemon.

Firstly, people who argue against them only ever talk about it from the standpoint of the games - although at this point it is one of the biggest parts of the franchise, they still have comics, trading cards, spin offs, merchandise that ranges from stuffed toys to limited collectibles and the freaking long-running show. The games may need to be balanced with what they put in, and all seem to serve some kind of function but at the end of the day, they have to keep these in mind too - many need to be marketable to more than just the competitive battlers of the mainstream games. It's because of this that pre-evolutions can be so good outside of the games for Gamrefreak and Nintendo - mostly in Japan where cuteness sells.

Bonsly and Mime Jr were great ways to add both cuteness and publicity for the 4th generation all the while adding new stories to tell around them and characters to play with in the show. Brock being a typical breeder, its unsuprising he also got his hands on Happiny that generation and don't forget Mistys Togepi! (though that was introduced in the same generation as its counter parts, I know!).

Secondly, they clearly serve a function in game too. For baby stage Pokemon like Togepo and orginaly Riolu - they can act as a better test for people who like to put a little added effort into raising a Pokemon mid-play-through for a reward with a Pokemon that often can't be found in the wild that generation. Most people chuck them aside due to the extra effort it takes to raise during the play-though but it acts as a nice little unique reward that not to many friends of yours may have put the effort in to raise as of yet. Not too many people I knew sported a Togetic in the second gen during their playthrough - mostly because the younger players tend to put these babys to the side.

The second function - and arguably the best - that they serve in the main games is that they introduce a Pokemon as a possibility to your team far earlier into the game than previously or make a rarer pokemon less elusive when it didn't need to be nor seemingly was it intended. Chingling being a good example of an unintended rarity (with chimecho in the 3rd generation being unnecessarily isolated. Mime Jr, Bonsly and Munchlax are all great examples of one-off Pokemon becoming more rediliy available outside the generations they were introduced.

A third function that is just begging to have more emphasize put onto it is breeding for pre-evos. Pre-evos have been used to make their evolutions easier to get - but what if it worked the other way around? At the moment, getting a pre-evo via breeding requires you to have a held item on the parent. What if this was used as the only way to get one or two pre-evolution? And what if these pre-evolutions actually had a split evolution line - meaning the only way to get this other line of Pokemon was via breeding with the other line actually found in the wild? Sort of like how Wirmples line splits into two affter the first evolution, only one half only being able to be triggered by conditions the baby Pokemon is put under - with the baby Pokemon only found via breeding.. adds more challenge to thous who wish to catch them all - and even better if these Pokemon are viable for battle usage as a good reward!

So yeah, my point being that I would LOVE another SMALL handful of pre-evolutions this generation. They serve a great purpose to the game and shouldn't be belittled to a relative size as their physical form... They at times may be gimicky, but unlike some, they are a functioning, multi-purposed and well thought out gimmick for both a good for the players and business point of view.

(Disclaimer: I don't want every rare and single staged pokemon to gain a pre-evolution - pokemon like Syther, Lapras and Skarmory are fine without a pre evolution - Lapras arguably without and evolution too)

I would quite like to see Nosepass get one though.. Maybe Torkoal could get the Roselia treatment, with both a pre-evo and an evolution. I would prefer to see the second and third gen get some for theirs that have been waiting so long get some spotlight before the 5th gen gets yet even more right affter release. Though Druddigon wouldn't be a bad shout...

I believe the main reason people are a bit leery of new pre-evos (and to a lesser extent with new evos) is because they generally want more completely new things rather than something that takes up a slot and is part of something old...but I still think it's mainly because of the metagame...these pre-evos take up space and they are mostly useless in the metagame when there could potentially be something better...but that's all speculative...I'm meh about pre-evos...I believe that all large first stage pokemon should get a pre-evo...but that's it...budew was unnecessary and so was chingling...munchlax and mantyke were great...I'd like Lapras to get a prevo and kangaskhan...

Edit@Mtie123:

He doesn't do all of the different biology based Pokémon.. Just a few that also have been on Bulbapedia's 'Origin of Pokémon'-column. I don't know if it's the same guy, but he's not providing masses of new content otherwise.

Also, it's not wholly correct...the mudkip line do indeed have mudskipper influence but its animal is still the mudpuppy, a salamander (I know it is the "mud fish" pokemon but classification has been foggy before and the line looks almost nothing like fish...a clear cervical region and 4 well developed limbs are all characteristics that fish don't have)...also huntail, the only thing that resembles a gulper eel is the tail lure...overall, huntail looks more like a black dragon fish with some viperfish thrown in there...gulpers lack any noticeable teeth and have a MUCH wider gape...stunfisk has electric ray written all over it in addition to flatfish (which only contributes to the rayed caudal fin and the position of the mouth) yet rays were only mentioned when they are the main basis and the flounder trait is just an add-on...heck it's not even laterally compressed...flatfish are laterally compressed...rays, on the other hand, are dorsoventrally compressed like stunfisk...also, when does golduck have fur? I always thought it was smooth like an amphibian...

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
OK, let me rephrase. Some of the Pokémon that have more complex and unfamiliar life history's and origins are highlighted in Scythemantis' blog article on his website.

If the "column" was written by Jon Wojcik on Bulbapedia, then it's the same author. Tried looking for the column on Bulbapedia; are you referring to the individual Pokemon pages with the possible basis at the bottom, or an actual article on Bulbapedia?

It's a column, not just the origin section. That guy also did Sandshrew, Chimecho, and a few others that this author provided as well. Origin of Species was the name I think.

mtie123

Johto's Hero
I want a natural Misdreavus evolution.. I am personally really not happy with how Mismagius looks and since Misdreavus is one of my favorites, would really like for it to get an appealing evolution.

See i'd rather focus on those who don't have evos or pre evo already rather than adding to evo lines

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I really have a strong feeling Stunfisk's going to get something in Gen VI, whether it's a prevo or an evo, since it's one of the most popular pokémon in Japan. If Wobbuffet was just as popular when GSC came out, then that would explain why they created Wynaut in RSE

cyberworrier94

Story Writer
Now that I think about it, could we see an evolution based on whether the 3D is on or not?

Vecherom

Lavaridge Trainer

I understand you seeing as the Misdreavus line has been one of my favorites since Misdreavus came out in gen II, but I can't see how else they could do it. To have another evolution for Misdreavus there would be some extreme similarities to Mismagius. First, it would also probably be a witch like pokemon, and most likely all ghost, unless they give it Grass, or the new type typing. Moreover, since they are treating Murkrow and Misdreavus in the same manner Murkrow would also need another evolution. Both honchkrow and Mismagius have decent enough stats were they aren't begging to be redone. So maybe down the line gamefreak will have something up their sleeves for both lines, but right now it's probably a no go.

Karlos Region

Kiss me Stunfisk!
That'd be cool! Maybe just a small Bug type moth with a smiling face but red wings with bleeding blacks eyes on them (name should be Kindoptera combination of kind and lepidoptera, the family name of moths, and then it evolves into the MothMan Pokémon (name should be Feastly because…… you'll see why) when it learns Night Slash at night! Eyes are bright red with no pupils, but not angry or sad looking just creepily staring, and body is covered by massive midnight blue wings. For its battle motion (gif), It opens its wings to show a zipper-like formation of bug mandibles (creepy) chomping and then it closes its wings (Feastly is a combination of beastly and feast, hence the multiple mandibles).
Dex Entry X:It is said that Feastly is attracted to the dark unlike most moths that are attracted to light.
Dex Entry Y:psych patients have made countless accounts of Feastly nibbling on their spines before they went into the asylum.
HP:100
Atk:100
Def:55
Sp.Atk: 75
SpDef:100
Speed:95
BST:525
I think higher special defense and high HP would make it a good wall for many special attackers. Perhaps we should give it Shield Dust, or a new ability that makes Defense maximize when hit by a super-effective move.

take a look...

fc07.deviantart.net/fs39/i/2008/340/3/7/Come_and_talk_with_Ingrid_Cold_by_darksilvania.jpg

and....

24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5hy8znxpD1rw7u8ro1_500.jpg

(check for spaces when you copy the address in case it sents you to a error page...)

They may fit with your hopes..

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl

Then don't evolve it, just use Misdreavus. Plus what do you mean by "natural"?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Something just came to mind. According to the main site, Corocoro promised that they will have more information on Pokémon X & Y, but can we actually believe them? They did promise us new information once before, but then they just lied and focused only on the Pokémon Rumble U game, so ever since then I felt that their promises are just as believable as these speculations

Vecherom

Lavaridge Trainer
Status
Not open for further replies.