• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I'm alright with the method if you could tell me any logically develped portrait of the method. Of course the player could just tell the pokemon to stand upside down, but I think that sounds kind of odd.

I've heard speculation, or at least explanation, for it. Someone mentioned something about squids being kept in/caught in buckets. So, either Inkay is a squid Pokemon who is partially in a bucket or whatever, you have to dump him out to get Malimar. I think it makes sense.

mtie123

Johto's Hero
Trade and happiness aren't hard to animate at all. Trade is done by the trainers trading and happiness is done by the pokemon being happy, this is exactly the same as in the games. Turning the 3DS is another thing, are they supposed to have a 3DS and turn it around, or command their pokemon to stand on their head?
Keep in mind that I don't actually care about the anime, but it is easier to explain than to image how the pokemon world would look like from the protagonist's eyes.

if you don't care about the anime why bring it up then? Like i said they would find a way, going back to happiness take Brocks bonsley which was "happy"" as soon as it was caught but it then took 49 episodes to evolve. Anime isn't the same as the games

I'm alright with the method if you could tell me any logically develped portrait of the method. Of course the player could just tell the pokemon to stand upside down, but I think that sounds kind of odd.

It says the method in the rumor, when the Inkay levels up you flip you 3DS and bang it evolves into Malimar

Last edited:
if you don't care about the anime why bring it up then? Like i said they would find a way, going back to happiness take Brocks bonsley which was "happy"" as soon as it was caught but it then took 49 episodes to evolve. Anime isn't the same as the games
I said that the anime is (one of multiple) ways to think of how the pokemon universe is inside the game. But if you don't like the idea, think that you are the playable character, how would you evolve the pokemon without a 3DS?
I can actually live with the idea that the pokemon is in a bucket and you have to turn it, but then Inkay have to be quite a weak pokemon if it can't do it itself.

It says the method in the rumor, when the Inkay levels up you flip you 3DS and bang it evolves into Malimar
How many times must I say that I know how you evolve it, but I am questioning how the playable character does it in-game.

mtie123

Johto's Hero
I said that the anime is (one of multiple) ways to think of how the pokemon universe is inside the game. But if you don't like the idea, think that you are the playable character, how would you evolve the pokemon without a 3DS?
I can actually live with the idea that the pokemon is in a bucket and you have to turn it, but then Inkay have to be quite a weak pokemon if it can't do it itself.

How many times must I say that I know how you evolve it, but I am questioning how the playable character does it in-game.

The character would just level up the Pokemon? Then you the actual player has the choice to turn your 3DS upside down and evolve it

Avi604

Reef Trainer

Are you really asking for a "Logically develeped portrait of the method"? This is a game about magical pocket monsters after all. And what is logical about pressing B while a pokemon is evolving to stop it?

Worbinator

Bonsly needs Mimetic in order to evolve into Sudowoodo, not happiness.

And about Inkar and his method of evolution is very odd, but we'll see when the time comes. If it is true it'll be fun

Are you really asking for a "Logically develeped portrait of the method"? This is a game about magical pocket monsters after all. And what is logical about pressing B while a pokemon is evolving to stop it?
I see that as the playable character commanding the pokemon to resist the urge to evolve.

mtie123

Johto's Hero
Bonsly needs Mimetic in order to evolve into Sudowoodo, not happiness.

And about Inkar and his method of evolution is very odd, but we'll see when the time comes. If it is true it'll be fun

I didn't know that, that is properly why my Bonsly never evolved.

Avi604

Reef Trainer
If Inkay and Malimar are real and I say "IF" cause I'm not 100% sold yet maybe Malimar has a design that is the exact oppasite as Inkay( like Inkay is black on bottom and purple on top then Malimar is purple on bottom and black on top), like during evolution it flipped upside down maybe.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
Perhaps a special chemical reaction happens when Inkay is turned upside down? But Inkay's weak and heavy, so it needs the sudden burst of energy from leveling up to jump up and turn upside down? Though chances are the window of opportunity is closed before it can evolve? Seems like a stretch, though it's a bit logical.

I'd like a Kriketune evo.

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
If there is a squidlike pokemon, it will likely not have names similar to Inkay or Malimar, and it most definitely won't evolve using the gyroscope.
"How do you know this?"
Because some of us thought Zoarark was an evolution of Lucario at one point. We don't know what's going to happen, so it's best to reserve judgement.

Edit: A krickitune evo seems unlikely, but you never know. I think it would be cool.

Last edited:

Avi604

Reef Trainer
Perhaps a special chemical reaction happens when Inkay is turned upside down? But Inkay's weak and heavy, so it needs the sudden burst of energy from leveling up to jump up and turn upside down? Though chances are the window of opportunity is closed before it can evolve? Seems like a stretch, though it's a bit logical.

I'd like a Kriketune evo.

A Kriketune evo is one of my most hoped for things this gen. I even know what I want him to look like( If I had even an once of drawing ability I would show you). I see him getting longer legs and have his wings make it look more like a tailed tuxedo and expand the tuxedo look to his front and make one of his forearms look like a violin when he holds it up to his chin the other arm is the bow. He needs to get much better special attack (cause all sound related moves are special) and we need at least another sound themed move like erie sound ghost type..... ok I'm done.

mtie123

Johto's Hero
A Kriketune evo is one of my most hoped for things this gen. I even know what I want him to look like( If I had even an once of drawing ability I would show you). I see him getting longer legs and have his wings make it look more like a tailed tuxedo and expand the tuxedo look to his front and make one of his forearms look like a violin when he holds it up to his chin the other arm is the bow. He needs to get much better special attack (cause all sound related moves are special) and we need at least another sound themed move like erie sound ghost type..... ok I'm done.

Banshee Scream? something like that?

Avi604

Reef Trainer
Banshee Scream? something like that?

Yeah we need some more with different types, I never liked the sound type ideas but I love themed moves and pokemon and my little music themed Kricket mon is one of my favorites. More Music Themed Moves!!!!!!

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
My pokemon's ears hurt already!

Kingudora

My favourite
My guess is that in the anime Inkay will evolve when it's turned upside down in battle.

Imagine following scenario:
Trainer A is battling Trainer B with an Inkay.
Trainer B's pokemon smashes Inkay away with an attack.
Inkay lands upside down in some rubble.
Frustrated, Inkay evolves into Malimar and the tables have turned.

mtie123

Johto's Hero
My guess is that in the anime Inkay will evolve when it's turned upside down in battle.

Thats a way i saw it happening in the anime. Seems like something they would do

Avi604

Reef Trainer

that fits the anime to a T, perfect.

darkcharizard13

Pokemon Enthusiast
My explanation for Inkay evolution in the anime is that the ink well in its head may swell with ink which would cause it to be top heavy an fall over. Thus being similar to the game evolution.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I see that as the playable character commanding the pokemon to resist the urge to evolve.

In-game, it's described as startling the Pokemon while they're evolving. Presumably, at least in the games, level-associated evolution requires at least some degree of concentration, hence why Pokemon can't evolve in battle or if someone sneaks up on them and shouts "boo!" really loudly.

If there is a squidlike pokemon, it will likely not have names similar to Inkay or Malimar, and it most definitely won't evolve using the gyroscope.
"How do you know this?"
Because some of us thought Zoarark was an evolution of Lucario at one point. We don't know what's going to happen, so it's best to reserve judgement.

So, the reason we know Inkay and Malimar are fake is because one fan theory was fake; ergo, a rumor from a fairly reliable source must also be fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.