• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klay

Titan Tamer
I just hope people don't do what I think they will do with Jynx, Gardevoir, etc. In fact maybe this pokemon-amie is a bad idea.

Ohhh noooo, also hope there's not many sound variation for different action -___-" lol

Lyra3490

By whom?

It's nowhere near being an official term. And it makes no sense, all three are felines.

Tiger, lion, cheetah.
The official term is "beasts", that was my bad. I've heard them referred to as dogs since I played crystal and I guess it stuck in my mind. Raikou I can only see as partially feline because of the teeth. But they still all look like dogs to me.

PeteDHeat

Erm... Let's look at the facts here, Mismagius has a fairly average BST of 495, it has a pretty bad movepool(only usable coverage moves are t-bolt and psychic, which have poor synergy with ghost), it's defenses are so bad that almost any neutral hit takes it out and also it is literally at the bottom of UU's usage statistics (0.5% less usage and Mismagius would be RU) I honestly don't think that adding fairy type and one more resistance would be make it "OP". It may become a threat in UU, but she's certainly not going to cause a ripple in OU.

Aaaanyway, Gardevoir is fairy, i am so psyched by this! Marill i don't really get, but whatever as long as Bellosom, Misdreavus/Mismagius, Mawile, Liligant and Cherrim are retyped with fairy i will buy a 3DS and X or Y, or maybe even both! Then i can have a fairy type mono run with formerly unappreciated Pokemon given a new lease on life =)

Then you clearly don't know how to use mismagius... I've swept entire OU teams with it.

Ver-mont

The official term is "beasts", that was my bad. I've heard them referred to as dogs since I played crystal and I guess it stuck in my mind. Raikou I can only see as partially feline because of the teeth. But they still all look like dogs to me.

I've heard the term too, but then again, I've heard many people calling them "legendary cats".

Maybe you only see them as dog-like because that's the idea you got first. As we say here: "the first impression is the one that stays".

Mystic Flygon

Then you clearly don't know how to use mismagius... I've swept entire OU teams with it.

Good players can sweep with most anything with the right strategic prediction. Mismagius is ok, not terrible but not great. It being part fairy wouldn't hurt but we should really see what the new meta-game looks like before making such generic opinions on a pokemon's type combo.

Lyra3490

I've heard the term too, but then again, I've heard many people calling them "legendary cats".

Maybe you only see them as dog-like because that's the idea you got first. As we say here: "the first impression is the one that stays".
See, maybe I haven't been on Pokemon specific forums long enough. I've never heard them referred to as the legendary cats. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention or something. But, whatevs. Made an *** of myself :) Now what are your thoughts on Vivillons wings? I think they look like a music box and maybe each one has a different song on their wings.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
No need to get snarky, jesus. That's what I've always known them as, I see them more doglike than catlike. How about we go with "chimera"? Or, if we're going with "stupid fandoms" how about the head cannon that the three "legendary beasts"are actually reincarnated Flareon, Jolteon and Vaporeon? Eevee is a fox yes? Personally I'd consider a fox closer to a dog than a cat. But I dunno, apparently I've been a part of some "stupid fandom" all these years and not known about it.

A lot of people call them dogs its annoying. Well you probably went with the heard, looking at them I don't see how you could call them dogs. Yes this fandom has a lot of stupid terms, like pseudo legendary,etc. Foxes are canine not cats you don't need to dwell on it, its a dog, I don't know what Eevee is actually. Yup you and me have.

It's not like it has to be the same as the other 2, I imagine they made it different on purpose to represent it's position as leader of the group.

Cmon...its a theme.

BayBird

Hummingbird Advocate
See, maybe I haven't been on Pokemon specific forums long enough. I've never heard them referred to as the legendary cats. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention or something. But, whatevs. Made an *** of myself :) Now what are your thoughts on Vivillons wings? I think they look like a music box and maybe each one has a different song on their wings.

Don't worry. I've been on Pokemon forums since R/S/E and I've not once seen them called the Legendary Cats. It's always the Dogs or Beasts. I've never seen cats haha. Nor have I ever heard of them called that, even since G/S came out. Never cats. Always dogs or beasts. So you're fine. (;

Mystic Flygon

They're official term is the legendary beasts, not cat or dog so you didn't make an *** of yourself. I think vivillon follows a music theme like Kricketune, maybe it will learn perish song?

Cmon...its a theme.

They still follow a theme, they're all mammals and carnivorous. Same thing happens with the legendary birds, articuno stands out as a short-beaked bird while the other two are long-beaked.

Last edited:

Flareon Fan

Ace Trainer

I've swept ubers with Flareon, many people have swept OU teams with NU pokemon. The point is you can sweep with anything as long as you get abit of luck, you are a decent player and your opponent was careless, a beginner or just plain bad. The tiers are to indicate the viability of a Pokemon against another player of the same skill and experience as you, tell me would you consider Mismagius and Flareon viable OU choices over currently simply better Pokemon like Gengar and Arcanine? Maybe for the Lulz, but not when playing seriously.

My point of the post was Mismagius needs a boost over other ghosts, just like Gardevoir got with the addition of fairy and that Mismagius with 4 immunities is not making it "OP" anytime soon.

Edit: Ninja'd by Mystic Flygon =)

BayBird

Hummingbird Advocate
A lot of people call them dogs its annoying. Well you probably went with the heard, looking at them I don't see how you could call them dogs. Yes this fandom has a lot of stupid terms, like pseudo legendary,etc. Foxes are canine not cats you don't need to dwell on it, its a dog, I don't know what Eevee is actually. Yup you and me have.

Stop. People can have opinions. Suicune looks, if anything, like a "WTF ARE YOU?!" Pokemon. Feline, canine, whatever. It is no more one than the other. People can interpret it as they will. And Entei is just as much mastiff/St. Bernard looking as it is a lion or Chinese guardian lion. It has characteristics of both, yet again. And Raikou is the only that is a LOT more feline looking. Don't say it's stupid or annoying just because you see them as cats. I've never once seen them called Legendary Cats, but I still respect your opinion. You're not right about everything, you now. Calm down.

Don't worry. I've been on Pokemon forums since R/S/E and I've not once seen them called the Legendary Cats. It's always the Dogs or Beasts. I've never seen cats haha. Nor have I ever heard of them called that, even since G/S came out. Never cats. Always dogs or beasts. So you're fine. (;

They've been called cats numerous times. It's only stubborn people who see them as dogs who refuse to acknowledge that they're obviously felines that use the term canines. Its annoying how some people overlook the facts because they're stuck with their own mindset. It's not a big problem that much any more but it still sucks that those of us who realize that they're cats have to use the term 'legendary beasts' as a compromise. No offense to any one obviously. I'm just trying to set the record straight.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
I feel like the only person on the planet that doesn't like the fairy type...

Corocoro leak already D<

They've been called cats numerous times. It's only stubborn people who see them as dogs who refuse to acknowledge that they're obviously felines that use the term canines. Its annoying how some people overlook the facts because they're stuck with their own mindset. It's not a big problem that much any more but it still sucks that those of us who realize that they're cats have to use the term 'legendary beasts' as a compromise. No offense to any one obviously. I'm just trying to set the record straight.

It's not that I myself am stuck in my own mindset but when I was a kid playing G/S/C they were ALWAYS called the legendary dogs and or beasts, so i've always called them the dogs...I've actually NEVER heard someone refer to them as cats until now so... :/

Last edited:

danburite3

Talonflame is really growing on me. It's just a shame that Fletchling is almost definitely found on Route 1, so odds are, it's going to be pretty weak competitively.
I'll probably use it as my Fly-user, and might beat the Elite Four with it, but I'd really love to see an early-game Pokemon that isn't outclassed by every other 'mon. Just for once.

On the other hand... Noivern. Just... Noivern. Oh my god how awesome is it?

They've been called cats numerous times. It's only stubborn people who see them as dogs who refuse to acknowledge that they're obviously felines that use the term canines. Its annoying how some people overlook the facts because they're stuck with their own mindset. It's not a big problem that much any more but it still sucks that those of us who realize that they're cats have to use the term 'legendary beasts' as a compromise.

Suicune is a Kirin. Hence the (diamond-shaped) antler, and why it can walk on water.
Raikou is Raiju (a cat-weasel-wolf).
Entei is a Shisa (a lion-dog).

Technically you're half-right by calling them cats or dogs, but there's still the other half. "Beasts" is more accurate.

Last edited:

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Stop. People can have opinions. Suicune looks, if anything, like a "WTF ARE YOU?!" Pokemon. Feline, canine, whatever. It is no more one than the other. People can interpret it as they will. And Entei is just as much mastiff/St. Bernard looking as it is a lion or Chinese guardian lion. It has characteristics of both, yet again. And Raikou is the only that is a LOT more feline looking. Don't say it's stupid or annoying just because you see them as cats. I've never once seen them called Legendary Cats, but I still respect your opinion. You're not right about everything, you now. Calm down.

Ofc people have opinion, this isn't about that, I can't just start calling my cat a dog, I didn't disagree with anyone opinion, I presented a fact and the guy is ok with it and the discussion ended already.

Yes people have been calling them legendary dogs becuase like I said, it was some kind of stupid trend that caught on with people not paying attention to what the things actually are, I never called then dogs, unless gamefreak somehow comes out and says nah they are totally dogs looking at them, they are cats.

Calm down? I'm havinga normal conversation, random guys comes all pissed of and asks me to calm down(when I'm calm).

Last edited:

PeteDHeat

Well I've had Mismagius as a must have plenty of times so to me yes, but like you said it's based on strategy cuz I have swept full OU teams with UUs and NUs. If Mismagius got to be part Fairy would definitely improve it. I don't see Flareon as a viable choice for OU mainly because ,imo, it's move pool sucks and only way I think Flareon is decent is if attach a CB to it. Even then it's hard to sweep teams entirely with it.

Pokememes

I am the pokémaster!
My thoughts on new pokemon:

Talonflame-- design looks cool and exciting. Can use brave bird and is the first regional bird (main) to not be normal/flying. I'd call that a success

Vivillon-- cool color scheme, wings sort of shaped as a piano? Could specialize in sound-wave style moves- success

Noivern-- noise and wyvern? Idk abou this one, although interesting dragon is secondary type... This bat seems to different/strang for me, but it looks evolved... [undecided fate, success in progress]

Clauncher-- I dig the colors again, nice to see another crab, this one with a twist... The one larger pincher looks cool, wonder how it deals with the smaller side? Success

Skrelp--(kelp and something) once again switching order of types... I'm no a fan of this one, due to its simplicity and blandness. But the poison typing adds a cool dynamic, but this is the least intriguing IMO... [sucess in progress, to be judged by evolutions]

~~~~ pokememes ~~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.