• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCFan

The Flame Jacobite
It will probably just me a recap of all the information we've got anyways.

Probably but there might be new info..

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan

Humm kinda not expecting anything new, we got a lot of information out of this, the only thing I could see them revealing is Mewtwo info since the magazine also covers the movie, they could just end with this mystery also.

BayBird

Hummingbird Advocate
Ofc people have opinion, this isn't about that, I can't just start calling my cat a dog, I didn't disagree with anyone opinion, I presented a fact and the guy is ok with it and the discussion ended already.

Yes people have been calling them legendary dogs becuase like I said, it was some kind of stupid trend that caught on with people not paying attention to what the things actually are, I never called then dogs, unless gamefreak somehow comes out and says nah they are totally dogs looking at them, they are cats.

Calm down? I'm havinga normal conversation, random guys comes all pissed of and asks me to calm down(when I'm calm).

Game Freak never came out and called them CATS, now did they? Source me, dude. Seriously, give me a source.

You can't. Stop acting like you know for a fact that they are cats and nothing but cats. Entei. Has. Characteristics. Of. Mastiffs. And. St. Bernards. Prove me wrong. Do it.

Seriously people. Pokemon aren't based on one thing and one thing only just because that's all you see.

Suicune a panther or leopard... Seriously? That's it? The only inspiration, end of story? Go home.

R_N

I would be genuinely surprised if we get absolutely nothing on Newtwo because that would mean we're going into the movie with NOTHING other than it exists
Why even bother with it?!

mask_and_mirror

Hoppip Hugger
Everything so far has been amazing.

Meh, I think in game they are called beasts, though they are more dog than cat like I think. I always get annoyed by people who say that eevee and it's 'lutions are cats too, though, when they are clearly foxes :p Well, I guess they're neither, they are pokemon ^_^

And Skrelp is a sea dragon :3

DCFan

The Flame Jacobite
I would be genuinely surprised if we get absolutely nothing on Newtwo because that would mean we're going into the movie with NOTHING other than it exists
Why even bother with it?!

Maybe they will reveal a new Mewtwo form that is Psychic/Fairy

danburite3

The Fairy type is pretty dumb (especially since none of the confirmed Mons are actually anything close to resembling fairies), but I am glad that the Dragon type is getting kicked down a notch, although most of them have a double Ice weakness already, so throwing another weakness on top of that is kinda mean.

Personally I would've made Fairy purely defensive: takes half damage from Dragons, but isn't super effective against anything. Sort of like "Normal 2.0".

humilau

Mister Fisher!
The Fairy type is pretty dumb (especially since none of the confirmed Mons are actually anything close to resembling fairies), but I am glad that the Dragon type is getting kicked down a notch, although most of them have a double Ice weakness already, so throwing another weakness on top of that is kinda mean.

Personally I would've made Fairy purely defensive: takes half damage from Dragons, but isn't super effective against anything. Sort of like "Normal 2.0".

I would like an Ice/Fairy type, just to rub in the salt a little more.

Mystic Flygon

I might as well rate the new pokes:
Noivern: Dragon is my favorite type, so because of that I'm going to be harsh with this one. Noivern's design is both cool and odd to me, I don't like the ears at all as they distract me from the rest of the design. I'll just say that I'm neutral with this pokemon.

Vivillon: When I first saw it, I immediately though bug/ fairy type. Seeing it as bug/ flying was a huge let down but I still enjoy it's cheerful and colorful design.

Talonflame: Name is way to bland, they didn't even really try with that name. Anyways, I'm happy with the design and of course the fire/ flying type combo. I hope this is just a 1 stage evolution because I don't see any need for an evo past Talonflame.

Skrelp: Again crappy name, design is great though, I'm intrigued with what it will turn into if anything (I have a feeling it will be like basculin and luvdisc).

Clauncher: Yet another bad name, I still like the design though. I'm just crossing my fingers it will turn into a fire/ water mantis shrimp but that's just my wishful thinking.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Suicune is a Kirin. Hence the (diamond-shaped) antler, and why it can walk on water.
Raikou is Raiju (a cat-weasel-wolf).
Entei is a Shisa (a lion-dog).

Technically you're half-right by calling them cats or dogs, but there's still the other half. "Beasts" is more accurate.

More accurately, Raikou's probably based on the cat half. Either way though, "beasts" is probably better to go with lest we start another fan civil war.

Eh, fairies vary in their representation of imagery. Some are cute like tinkerbell, some mysterious and ethereal like Gardevior and so on.

Last edited:

Lyra3490

I wasn't trying to start a fight guys! (I'm a girl by the way... just putting that out there.) In game they are called beasts, not dogs or cats. (Of course I think the term Manticore would better cover them. Or for those who don't want to look it up, a mish mash of random animal aspects.) End of discussion. Back to the new dex, please? Sorry for the trouble!

BayBird

Hummingbird Advocate
I wasn't trying to start a fight guys! (I'm a girl by the way... just putting that out there.) In game they are called beasts, not dogs or cats. (Of course I think the term Manticore would better cover them. Or for those who don't want to look it up, a mish mash of random animal aspects.) End of discussion. Back to the new dex, please? Sorry for the trouble!

Oh I agree. No fighting or extensive arguing is needed. It's just when one person calls someone else out and states that a Pokemon is one thing, no questions ask, must be this thing but not that thing... I tend to get annoyed. Because most Pokemon have more than one inspiration. GF purposely create Pokemon to have multiple source animals, to make them, well, Pokemon.

Flareon Fan

Ace Trainer
Well I've had Mismagius as a must have plenty of times so to me yes, but like you said it's based on strategy cuz I have swept full OU teams with UUs and NUs. If Mismagius got to be part Fairy would definitely improve it. I don't see Flareon as a viable choice for OU mainly because ,imo, it's move pool sucks and only way I think Flareon is decent is if attach a CB to it. Even then it's hard to sweep teams entirely with it.

Just like you said with flareon, Gengar has the same viable moves Mismagius has and more (Focus blast, sludge bomb, hypnosis and disable), Gengar has higher speed, higher attack, higher special attack and essentially the same bulk as Mismagius, so whatever Mismagius can do, Gengar can do better.

Well, atleast i hope we both agree Mismagius needs something to improve it and fairy type fits it's origins perfectly (being based on the Nukekubi and Banshees).

Mystic Flygon

Eh, fairies vary in their representation of imagery. Some are cute like tinkerbell, some mysterious and ethereal like Gardevior and so on.

Exactly what you said, just like how dragons come in different forms but are still called dragons... fairies come in different forms but are still all called fairies. Just because it's not a midget with butterfly wings doesn't mean it's not a fairy.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?

I agree...I understand why we have fairy type...but I feel it was EXTREMELY unnecessary...they could have nerfed dragons so many other ways than adding in a new type...

Admittedly I really wanted Sylveon to be a really bamf normal type...
And i'm a bit hurt with some of the mons that were changed... -looking at you gardevoir- at the same time it makes her even more badass now -shrug- so I guess its something...

Dukkee

More accurately, Raikou's probably based on the cat half. Either way though, "beasts" is probably better to go with lest we start another fan civil war.
Beasts is what I've always heard them called.

When're we going to get a picture of this fire lion?

HafuTrance

Max Toxicity
They've been called cats numerous times. It's only stubborn people who see them as dogs who refuse to acknowledge that they're obviously felines that use the term canines. Its annoying how some people overlook the facts because they're stuck with their own mindset. It's not a big problem that much any more but it still sucks that those of us who realize that they're cats have to use the term 'legendary beasts' as a compromise. No offense to any one obviously. I'm just trying to set the record straight.
Raiku doesn't have claws that can't be sheathed that also happen to look a lot like 3 toed hooves? They all have the characteristics of many animals not just cats.

realarcastform

Rotom Trainer
My thoughts on new pokemon:

Talonflame-- design looks cool and exciting. Can use brave bird and is the first regional bird (main) to not be normal/flying. I'd call that a success

Vivillon-- cool color scheme, wings sort of shaped as a piano? Could specialize in sound-wave style moves- success

Noivern-- noise and wyvern? Idk abou this one, although interesting dragon is secondary type... This bat seems to different/strang for me, but it looks evolved... [undecided fate, success in progress]

Clauncher-- I dig the colors again, nice to see another crab, this one with a twist... The one larger pincher looks cool, wonder how it deals with the smaller side? Success

Skrelp--(kelp and something) once again switching order of types... I'm no a fan of this one, due to its simplicity and blandness. But the poison typing adds a cool dynamic, but this is the least intriguing IMO... [sucess in progress, to be judged by evolutions]

~~~~ pokememes ~~~~

Talonflame (better name was the Japanese F(l)arrow) is definitely a step in the right direction for regional birds, because it's now actually one of my faves. It WILL be in my team. I'm guessing this one has a mid-evolution.

Vivillon is my first fave starter bug ever. I can't wait to get my own Spewpa or whatever is its first stage and give it some great moves. I'm hoping the square motif is on Spewpa too.

Noivern is one interesting wyvern having dragon as a second type. It's certainly original. I'm guessing this would have a have a pre evo.

Clauncher, whoo-ee, a pokemon based offf one of the best crustaceans on Earth? The pistol shrimp! Count me in! I can't wait to see what it evolves into. My third fave today! Gamefreak, it needs a goby buddy.

Skrelp, it might be based off a leafy seadragon, I'm not sure. It might evolve.

danburite3

True, but how many of them are pink balloons, or water mice?

They could've just called it the "Cute" type, since that seems to be the best way to describe most of the ones they've revealed. Where's the Tinkerbells? Where's the little green goblins? Where's the dwarves and elves? Where's the trolls? True, they could be incoming, but the Pokemon that they've chosen from past gens don't exactly scream "Fairy" to me.

Besides, Pokemon are already largely based on yokai, which are more or less Japanese fairies, so when you look at it like that, having a special type for fairies seems kind of redundant, since most Pokemon could already fall into the category- Ninetails and Zoroark (kitsune), Shiftry (tengu), Sawk and Throh (oni), Espeon (nekomata), Castform, Rotom and Trubbish could all be tsukumogami (inanimate objects that came to life).

Status
Not open for further replies.