• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
Out of the three newest Pokémon, Skrelp is still my favourite. I don't really like the design of Talonflame. I mean, all the regional birds have a very similar aura about their final stages (if it is it's final stage) or at least for the most part. Clauncher I suprisingly like, after thinking I'd hate it.

Well, 15 Pokémon in and for the most part I'm happy. I'm quite suprised at just how many Pokémon we have already.

Also, exactly 5 months to go, with 4 issues of CoroCoro to go!

PokemonForever1

great news for us

as for the Fairy-type - its introduction was reasonable and necessary just for making the entire game a little less predictable and more challenging, even though the retyping will probably not affect overused pokemon. As for its weaknesses, it must have at least 3 as he would clearly lower Dragon's popularity

I totally loved Talonflame but if it is truely the regional bird, it means that a Fire-type will be accessible REALLY early on.
it makes a problem for Fennekin, as trainers could have an early Flying AND Fire type in a single Pokemon, potentially rendering it useless. as I tend to favor the Fire-type starters since Generation II, this one is a bummer for me.
the rest were OK, except for for Skrelp which is.. pretty useless, like all other Poison types. not to mention its design doesn't really help him look important

Grey Wind

Talonflame looks amazing. I love the fire patterns on its body and I'm really excited that they finally did something new with the regional bird. Fire/Flying is an interesting type (Was Ho-oh our last Fire/Flying? I forget). I hope it has good stats so it's not all but useless like some of the regional birds.

Skrelp is kind of ugly, I don't really like it. Nice to see another Poison/Water though.

I think Clauncher is quite cool looking, but it's not really exciting me yet. I'll wait for its evolutions before I judge (and I'm on board with it being Water/Fire).

Well, 15 Pokémon in and for the most part I'm happy.
I agree. I think this is the happiest I've been with a generation, Polemon-wise, in a long time. I just hope that we get some more cross-gen evolutions soon.

KKS-Lapras

Am I the only one that sees a definite French flare to most if not all the Pokemon of Gen 6 thus far? It's the first Gen in a while that the Pokemon look like the go with the region their based from.

It's interesting how people in the past complained about the idea of a new Butterfly Pokemon, said it would be too similar to the others, yet I love Vivillon's design, I think it's actually a good addition to the species like Butterfree, Venomoth, Beautifly, etc.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
I saw on a discovery show before a lobster/crustacean thing that launched boiling hot water from their claws. I wonder if Clauncher is somewhat based on them?

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
Talonflame is definitely my favorite of these three new Pokemon. It looks so majestic and awesome.

Clauncher looks really cool as well. Skrelp doesn't really do anything for me.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Am I the only one that sees a definite French flare to most if not all the Pokemon of Gen 6 thus far? It's the first Gen in a while that the Pokemon look like the go with the region their based from.

It's interesting how people in the past complained about the idea of a new Butterfly Pokemon, said it would be too similar to the others, yet I love Vivillon's design, I think it's actually a good addition to the species like Butterfree, Venomoth, Beautifly, etc.

I don't see it, maybe Fennekin/Froakie but thats it.

humilau

Mister Fisher!
I saw on a discovery show before a lobster/crustacean thing that launched boiling hot water from their claws. I wonder if Clauncher is somewhat based on them?

Pistol Shrimp? That seems very likely. It's even known as the water gun pokemon.

Charninja

Mothereffing mantis shrimp, you mean. And I certainly hope it lives up to the critter, considering.

I am glad some types appear to be getting some love, though obviously until we see the stats, nothing is certain. There has been a real dearth of fire and flying types the last few generations, so any correction of that situation is welcome. Frankly, we need everything but fighting types at this point...

humilau

Mister Fisher!
Mothereffing mantis shrimp, you mean. And I certainly hope it lives up to the critter, considering.

I am glad some types appear to be getting some love, though obviously until we see the stats, nothing is certain. There has been a real dearth of fire and flying types the last few generations, so any correction of that situation is welcome. Frankly, we need everything but fighting types at this point...

Err, judging by appearance, i'd say it more closely resembles Pistol Shrimp, which are also capable of producing loud noises and powerful 'bubble bombs'. Also, Clauncher appears to have asymmetrical claws, like Pistol Shrimp do in real life.

Last edited:

FireTypeLeader

Really happy the fire types seem to be getting some love this gen as up until now we haven't really had any ... Clearly going to be a lot of water type pokemon dude to all the water in Kalos... I hope we get some game information next

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Even though it isn't Inkay, I'm liking Skrelp's concept! At first I thought it was a weak concept for it to be a seaweed-kelp Pokémon, but its description really appealed to me.
Froakie, Helioptile, and Skrelp, you are my current team!

RzK

Meow
Finally we may get a bird that stands up to or even surpasses the sheer awesomeness of Staraptor! Unfezant was a letdown, at least to me....Talonflame is the 2nd stage of Fletchling right? Could Fletchling be part of simply a 2 stage line, because a Talonflame Evolution would be just.....

danburite3

How many dragons do you know are birds?

If we're going by Pokemon... then two. Swablu and Altaria. The rest are pretty standard-looking flying lizards or leafy sea dragons.

"Cute" is terrible, it's not only non-defining for a type, a lot of different Pokémon fit in that compared to say 15, maybe 20 for fairy. We don't know much about the typing and the Pokémon in it, give it time first.

True, "Cute" is a terrible name for a type, but no matter how you look at it, Marill and Jigglypuff aren't exactly fairy-like. They're just, well, spheres that evolve into rabbits. I can't think of a single logical reason for making them Fairy-type (and if the rumours are to be believed, all this new typing is going to do, is make them even more terrible- Wigglytuff, for example, will supposedly now be weak to Fighting, Steel and Poison. Yay?)

Just like having a special type for dragons are redundant because of Charizard right? Wait a minute...

I'll give you that one. Charizard would make a good Fire/Dragon, but I have a feeling it's for balance reasons. Dragon Pokemon are almost always doubly-weak to Ice, probably because they'd be too powerful otherwise.

humilau

Mister Fisher!
If we're going by Pokemon... then two. Swablu and Altaria. The rest are pretty standard-looking flying lizards or leafy sea dragons.

True, "Cute" is a terrible name for a type, but no matter how you look at it, Marill and Jigglypuff aren't exactly fairy-like. They're just, well, spheres that evolve into rabbits. I can't think of a single logical reason for making them Fairy-type (and if the rumours are to be believed, all this new typing is going to do, is make them even more terrible- Wigglytuff, for example, will supposedly now be weak to Fighting, Steel and Poison. Yay?)

I'll give you that one. Charizard would make a good Fire/Dragon, but I have a feeling it's for balance reasons. Dragon Pokemon are almost always doubly-weak to Ice, probably because they'd be too powerful otherwise.

Well, Fairy is a broad term, and usually they're depicted as beings of light, representing good (as in good vs. evil). Game Freak probably had thought through this a lot before putting it all out there, so whatever their reasons, it'll be implemented well.

danburite3

Well, Fairy is a broad term, and usually they're depicted as beings of light, representing good (as in good vs. evil). Game Freak probably had thought through this a lot before putting it all out there, so whatever their reasons, it'll be implemented well.

I don't know about "implemented well", but it'll be interesting to see what they do, at least.

I just wish they'd explain how "pink blob" equals "fairy".

MrDuck

I like all of the designs.

Talonflame looks awesome, I'm getting used to it's name too.

Skrelp is growing on me. Some Pokémon just have to be ugly :p. Not all animals in reality are beautiful.

Clauncher looks great too. I saw someone say is looks to similar to Dwebble. I disagree. I don't like in general when people dislike a Poké because it's based on a similar species. For example there are multiple kinds of frogs or foxes in real life.

Noivern looks awesome, I'll have to make a choice between it and Talonflame. Probably depending on my starters choice as I'll be doing at least three playthroughs.

Vivillon looks nice and I like what they've done with the name. Curious as to it's secret in it's wings.

And strangely I'm hoping we won't get too much new Pokémon in Corocoro. Kinda weird to get this much info for me lol. Maybe some info on Mewtwo, I'd like that.

DCFan

The Flame Jacobite
Excuse me but from Pokebeach i heard that there was another Pokemon revealed besides those 3..A Firey Lion Cub Pokemon..i am just wondering if there is any offical conformation for this

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.