• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikku Takanashi

Adventuring Vulpix
Draconic Fang or Dragonic Crunch or Dragon Maw? And I like Granet Fang but hm maybe Gaia Fang or Terra Fang? I like Terra Fang

On wanted moves for Pokes(and this is kinda off topic) but Id like another Signature Move for Meloetta called Song and Dance it would have 70 base power and the ability to cause Flinching but its real appeal would be that when Meloetta Aria uses it it's a Psychic type special attack move thats sound based and when Meloetta's Dancer form(can't remember how to spell it darn it) uses it it would be a Fighting Type Attack move that hits Physically Song and Dance would fit that one open spot nicely

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
Draconic Fang or Dragonic Crunch or Dragon Maw? And I like Granet Fang but hm maybe Gaia Fang or Terra Fang? I like Terra Fang

On wanted moves for Pokes(and this is kinda off topic) but Id like another Signature Move for Meloetta called Song and Dance it would have 70 base power and the ability to cause Flinching but its real appeal would be that when Meloetta Aria uses it it's a Psychic type special attack move thats sound based and when Meloetta's Dancer form(can't remember how to spell it darn it) uses it it would be a Fighting Type Attack move that hits Physically Song and Dance would fit that one open spot nicely

EEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

No, but seriously, Gaia and Terra are better for Ground-Type. Gaia/Terra was the Greek/Roman Primordial Goddess of Earth.

Wyvern's Tooth?

0danmaster0

Am I the only one who hates how helioptiles mouth in its sugi art isn't even fully drawn? it's incredibly easy to add a few more pixels. so easy that I did it.
helioptile_zpsc81fe3af.png
wazam

Like any other dragon-type...?

please tell me about all the other dragon types based on dinosaurs. Hint: kyurem is not a dinosaur

Last edited:

Rikku Takanashi

Adventuring Vulpix
Terra Fang and Gaia Fang would work for Rock because whats the Earth made out of? Rock

XD lol but Song and Dance would be awesome and I could see how they might take it from being a Signature move to a common move too say they assign the Aria form of the move to Special Attacker Types and the Dancer form of the move to Attacker Types and have it where the Type of the Move changes to the first type of a Poke so a Water/Bug Type would use a Water type Aria form of the move or they could make it like Hidden Power where the moves type would still be based on the Pokemon using it but wether it was Special Attack based or Attack based would depend on stats and such

BurningWhiteKyurem

please tell me about all the other dragon types based on dinosaurs. Hint: kyurem is not a dinosaur

"Its tusks are similar in appearance to Scutosaurid's or possibly Ceratopsid's cheekbone tusks and are also similar to battle axe blades. Ken Sugimori confirmed that it was based on a plant-eating dinosaur." "Axew's tusks are similar in appearance to Scutosaurid's or possibly Ceratopsid's cheekbone tusks. Its crest may be based on a Hadrosaurid's, more specifically Saurolophid's, or possibly a Corytophanid's, possibly the plumed basilisk's." "Fraxure's tusks are similar in appearance to a Scutosaurid's or possibly Ceratopsid's cheekbone tusks and are also similar to pickaxe blades. Its crest may be based on a Hadrosaurid's (more specifically a Saurolophid's or perhaps a Corytophanid's) or possibly the Plumed basilisk's." (Haxorus' line).

"Palkia, along with Dialga, may be based on the Shinto legend of Izanami and Izanagi, who are said to have created one island with a spear, erected a pillar on it, and from there created the islands of Japan. Appearance-wise, Palkia is likely based after a European dragon combined with a pearl. Its appearance may also be derived from the Plateosaurus or other bipedal dinosaurs such as Oviraptor or Gigantoraptor due to its head crest and reminiscent body form. The presence of fins in their back, the fish-like head and the pearls are possibly the reason for its Water type. Its secondary type may also originate from the weightlessness one experiences in water, such as the fact that astronauts use water to train for space expeditions." (Palkia).

"Dialga, along with Palkia, may be based on the Shinto legend of Izanami and Izanagi, who are said to have created one island with a spear, erected a pillar on it, and from there created the islands of Japan. Appearance-wise, Dialga seems to be based on short-necked sauropod dinosaurs such as Cameosaurus or Brachytrachelopan. Its type is Steel possibly due to the hardness of diamonds, or the fact that most parts of a clock are made of metal, such as the gears. Its turquoise pattern on its body is vaguely reminiscent to clock hands, interestingly, the ends of the "clock hands" are diamond-shaped." (Dialga).

"Giratina is possibly based on a basilisk. In its Altered Forme, Giratina's wings may be based on a bat's, and its body has an insect-like, six-legged feature, but its posture is similar to a sauropod. Its Origin Forme has a body similar to a serpent, while the six protrusions on its body may be based on a scorpion's stinger. However this Forme also shares physical traits with the Amphitere, a European dragon-like creature with wings but no legs." (Giratina)

"Bagon is based on a dragon, but possibly draws some aspects from pachycephalosaurus, a species of two-legged dinosaurs known for their domed heads." (Bagon).

Just because YOU don't see the connection, doesn't mean that others can't. And it certainly doesn't mean that Dinosaurs can't be Dragon-type.

Rikku Takanashi

Adventuring Vulpix
Garchomp? Bagon? Never would have thought of them as Dinosaurs I always thought Garchomp was a Land Shark Dragon and Bagon just a Baby Dragon with a hard head and a desire to fly

Dialga and Palkia are clearly Dinosaur based though less so with Palkia Giratina I wouldn't have thought Dinosaur though considering the other two have at least some dino in they're theme it wouldn't surprise me and Haxorus's line while it never looked like a dinosaur to me and still doesn't it has been confirmed to be based off Dino's and I don't doubt that much but I don't think Bagon had a Dinosaur theme in mind when it was created not with how classically Draconic Salamence is and Garchomp im quite doubtful about being based off a dino it has too many sharky features and too much sand in its theme but it's possible I just highly doubt it

0danmaster0

"Its tusks are similar in appearance to Scutosaurid's or possibly Ceratopsid's cheekbone tusks and are also similar to battle axe blades. Ken Sugimori confirmed that it was based on a plant-eating dinosaur." "Axew's tusks are similar in appearance to Scutosaurid's or possibly Ceratopsid's cheekbone tusks. Its crest may be based on a Hadrosaurid's, more specifically Saurolophid's, or possibly a Corytophanid's, possibly the plumed basilisk's." "Fraxure's tusks are similar in appearance to a Scutosaurid's or possibly Ceratopsid's cheekbone tusks and are also similar to pickaxe blades. Its crest may be based on a Hadrosaurid's (more specifically a Saurolophid's or perhaps a Corytophanid's) or possibly the Plumed basilisk's." (Haxorus' line).

"Palkia, along with Dialga, may be based on the Shinto legend of Izanami and Izanagi, who are said to have created one island with a spear, erected a pillar on it, and from there created the islands of Japan. Appearance-wise, Palkia is likely based after a European dragon combined with a pearl. Its appearance may also be derived from the Plateosaurus or other bipedal dinosaurs such as Oviraptor or Gigantoraptor due to its head crest and reminiscent body form. The presence of fins in their back, the fish-like head and the pearls are possibly the reason for its Water type. Its secondary type may also originate from the weightlessness one experiences in water, such as the fact that astronauts use water to train for space expeditions." (Palkia).

"Dialga, along with Palkia, may be based on the Shinto legend of Izanami and Izanagi, who are said to have created one island with a spear, erected a pillar on it, and from there created the islands of Japan. Appearance-wise, Dialga seems to be based on short-necked sauropod dinosaurs such as Cameosaurus or Brachytrachelopan. Its type is Steel possibly due to the hardness of diamonds, or the fact that most parts of a clock are made of metal, such as the gears. Its turquoise pattern on its body is vaguely reminiscent to clock hands, interestingly, the ends of the "clock hands" are diamond-shaped." (Dialga).

"Giratina is possibly based on a basilisk. In its Altered Forme, Giratina's wings may be based on a bat's, and its body has an insect-like, six-legged feature, but its posture is similar to a sauropod. Its Origin Forme has a body similar to a serpent, while the six protrusions on its body may be based on a scorpion's stinger. However this Forme also shares physical traits with the Amphitere, a European dragon-like creature with wings but no legs." (Giratina)

"Bagon is based on a dragon, but possibly draws some aspects from pachycephalosaurus, a species of two-legged dinosaurs known for their domed heads." (Bagon).

Just because YOU don't see the connection, doesn't mean that others can't. And it certainly doesn't mean that Dinosaurs can't be Dragon-type.

Okay, please tell me about all the other dragon types that are completely impossible to mistake them as something other than a dinosaur. because I have never seen a 6 legged winged dino before.

SoulOfSilver

Gym Leader
I'm loving Tyrunt and Tyrantrum. Definitely considering using them on my team. There are so many good Pokemon to choose from this gen and we haven't even seen everything yet! Ugh! Good problem to have though.

I'm currently thinking about using Froakie, Bulbasaur, Fletchling, Tyrunt, Helioptile (depending on evo) and a Fairy type... It's much too early to know what I'll end up using but I can't help myself from planning!

BurningWhiteKyurem

Okay, please tell me about all the other dragon types that are completely impossible to mistake them as something other than a dinosaur. because I have never seen a 6 legged winged dino before.

Nice logic, so you're assuming that all Dragon-types are designed with a dinosaur in mind when that's not the case (and way to take it so literally...Giratina's lore and design suggests a connection with a Sauropod, which doesn't mean that it has to literally be a 6-legged winged Dino. Look up a Sauropod and it's plausible how close it is to Giratina from a design standpoint). My point in bringing up all these Dragons with is that you're assuming no Dragons were designed with a dinosaur in mind when my copypasta'd lore states otherwise. Again I'll say this: just because you don't see the dino influences, or disagree with them, doesn't necessarily negate the dinosaur influences that others see.

Regality

Digital King

Dude.. I think HEB meant that every Dragon type is weak to Draco Meteor and Ice type moves..
And thus it is strange that you said Tyrunt being weak to them was funny..

Rikku Takanashi

Adventuring Vulpix
Yeah as BurningWhiteKyurem said theres Dragons which have some to alot of Dino insparation and then theres Tyrantrum which is a Dinosaur with a Dragon Type

What I mean is Haxorus is themed off a Dinosaur this is confirmed but Haxorus is not a Dinosaur but mearly a Dragon with a Dinosaur Insparation the same us true with Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina though the reason I think Dialga has more Dino insparation then the other members of it's trio is because whats more timeless then a Dinosaur and Diamonds? But Tyrantrum is a Dinosaur with a Dragon Type Haxorus is a Dragon with Dinosaur insparations its easy as one person stated to look at Haxorus and say oh he's a Dragon or oh he's a Dinosaur but with Tyrantrum Dragon is im betting not most people's first thought

Tom_Potter

Kinda Experienced
I'm surprised nobody has talked about Cranidos... Or Torterra which is supposed to be based on Ankylosaurs

Rikku Takanashi

Adventuring Vulpix
They're not Dragons we're talking about Dragon Pokes that appear to have some Dinosaur Insperation

Kitara

Obsessive Collector
Like any other dragon-type...?

I think he finds it ironic because dinosaurs were either wiped out by a meteor or the ice age iirc. Not a history expert. So having a fossil pokemon whose typing makes it weak to meteors and ice is kinda funny and fitting.

Paralititan

It's not crazy to think some dragons have dinosaur like character traits. Dragons were based on dinosaur fossils after all. Besides, it also makes sense in type effectiveness. Weak to dragon and ice (dinosaurs couldn't stand cold very well, and what else could beat a big dinosaur besides another one).

Also, Dialga, Palkia and Haxorus and Druddigon look like dinosaurs and may have some inspiration. But not very specific, like Tyrantrum.

I think he finds it ironic because dinosaurs were either wiped out by a meteor or the ice age iirc. Not a history expert. So having a fossil pokemon whose typing makes it weak to meteors and ice is kinda funny and fitting.

70% of the living creatures died by that meteor, not just the dinosaurs. Why isn't all Pokémons weak against Draco meteor?

EeveeTamer

Dark Shadow
Okay to change subjects because the dragon/dinosaur discussion is getting rediculous. I can't wait to find out if there are going to any more ice-types because i am thinking on using Aurorus in my team. I usually use one type teams because i like the challenge they represent. Right now if no new ice types i am going toward using fire types. Including Fennekin line, Talonflame, Pyroar, Blazekin, Charizard and maybe flareon or Camerupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.