• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoshi 91

I was looking around the web earlier today and came across Pokemon Sepia and Pokemon Monochrome - a fan made idea for a Red and Green/Blue prequel where you play as Oak and Agatha as kids and search for a smaller selection of the Kanto Pokemon and use old style Pokeballs as seen in the 4th Pokemon movie with Celebi.

And on one of the comments for this idea (which was posted around 2011) it read: "I'd be glad of a smaller selection of Pokemon, 600+ is just ridiculous"

And here we are, with only 69 Pokemon and people are still not happy. I admit I'm a little disappointed with such a low number but in the long term we'll be thankful. Gen 7 could have pushed us towards 900 if we carried on at the same rate, but with any luck we'll only be just over 800-850 max, which is still a HUGE number.

The sooner everyone accepts this the better.

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic
To be fair though, people complaining abut the competitive scene and the tiers and whatnot...

Gamefreak doesn't care about Smogon's tier system. They don't look at that to see whats banned and whats not. Smogon is not official. The only thing GF cares about is official tournaments, and in official tournaments you don't see people spamming SR and U-turn.

So trying to say "GF isn't listening to us cause stuff in competitive is still ruined" is kinda a washed out argument. They only really care about THEIR competitive scene, not ours.

Kinda like the Smash bros tier list. That's not Nintendo's list, it's ours.

I think you'll find I never mentioned Smogon anywhere in that paragraph. SR is less viable in Doubles rather than Singles anyway. If you challenge someone to a battle they'd do wisely to take advantage of SR as it is worth investing a turn to cut all of your opponent's health by an 1/8, but possibly up to a 1/2 - it is not difficult to do some maths. You don't need Smogon to figure out for you that this move is going to cause lots and lots of trouble.

But the point still stands that ice and grass types have gained nothing his generation when they really needed the boost. In fact, if anything, they have been made worse by the increase in poison, steel and fire-types running riot everywhere.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
I think some people wanted at least 100 new Pokemon since all generations prior to this one have had at least that many new Pokemon themselves. Personally I think the mega Pokemon thing is the reason why there are only 69 confirmed new Pokemon at the moment. Clearly Gamefreak spent a lot of time and energy into designing them which resulted in fewer brand-new Pokemon imo.

I think I'll have more hope for next generation's new Pokémon amount.
It may be a philosophical strategy, but perhaps GameFreak is disappointing us this gen to compensate for the next gen. It's a risky strategy, but I know it's working for me. I want to see what GameFreak can do, so I'm buying all sixth gen games to support them and see what they can do. 5th gen was a basic generation, but not bad, and I think that contributed to the lack of new Pokémon because fans weren't giving as much support and it was mainly preschoolers forcing their parents to buy the game.

This is simply a hypothesis. I have not seen the sales statistics for BW and BW2, nor will we see the sales statistics for X and Y until 5 days from now. We'll have to wait and compare to get a legitimate hypothesis on what GameFreak could be using for its marketing strategies.

Smeargle1987

Reckless Trainer
So I went for a Gamestop interview today, as the guys there told me to apply since we are friends. I asked about XY and if they had them yet and they said no, and they probably won't be getting them until Thursday or Friday. Why would Canadian stores have them two weeks before release and not US store? Especially Gamestop being a big chain here.
Just curious really..

On a side note, I'm excited about all the pokemon, even it being around 70. I'm just disappointed they didn't have any evolutions for older pokemon except megas..(and eevee)

Hmmm...very interesting.The plot thickens...

Blazios

You're probably right, yeah. That helps quell my fears. ; v ;

And @Morning Sun, the preorders are like 300k, BW's preorders were at around 900k, from what I remember the screenshot saying. I'd need to go find it again, though. Or maybe I'm dreaming the whole thing. xD

However, that doesn't take into account digital downloads and the fact that the 3DS is a newer console whereas the regular DS was around for like 8 years by that point.

X & Y preorders are at 1.26 million in Japan alone.

KKS-Lapras

I don't agree at all with the people complaining about this Gen, before any of you have even played it. We don't know all the new moves, we haven't played the games to experience the Pokemon for what they can do for ourselves, we haven't seen all the new abilities yet, nor whom gets them. This gets old, every generation, there's always a group of people that is unsatisfied. The problem is that people change there positions at many different points within this process, the introduction, the spoilers, the premier, and beyond. It's the same thing with the Anime as well. Seriously, the case for your opinion has been made. Just seriously give it a rest.

The only thing I really hope now is that Snorunt is the in games, I'd love to use Glalie and Cryogonal together, along with Lapras, my 3 favorites. Probably not in the initial run of the game, but at some point down the line.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
You're not allowed to be happy because a few vocal fans are upset! How dare you.

It's one thing to criticize obvious flaws, but dwelling on them won't actually change them, will it? GF has stated that they don't want to have DLC patches to help "fix" anything, this game is finished as it will ever be until the third version. All we can do is hope that GF will listen to these complaints and not have selective hearing. In general, I'm still hyped for the game and can't wait to pet my favorites in Amie. eue

Problem is that a lot of the things people are complaining about are "the lack of new Pokemon" or "the fact that we don't have a legendary trio" or "I don't like the new Pokemon" or "I don't like the new starters" Not really the technical aspects of the game. It's just what select people want and they would be better off just accepting what we have. This is what GF had planned for this generation. And people are complaining about their choice. If they don't like the direction its going, don't buy the game.

Shraeder

It's Lit
Yay Noivern is a speedy Special Attacker! All my want!

mtqc

MY BEANS!
XY already out sold B/W's pre-order sales in Japan though...they were the fastest selling 3DS game ever.

I was talking about worldwide sales, or at least sales in North America. Pokemon's been on a steady decline around here for years now, which is why I was concerned. If anything, my fears should lie more in localization, I guess.

To try and get this back on topic, is Goomy confirmed as this generation's pseudo?

Ninfia-Fan

I just went back to see where all this denial was coming from and I saw people saying the whole dex was fake or something like that. To people who are still in denial, get over it. Yes, we only have 70~ pokemon! But we can make this gen work. Give it a chance; we haven't even played the games yet.

To be honest, I would rather have new pokemon as the focus then Mega evolutions..yes mega evolutions are a cool idea but i think most of us would prefer new pokemon to play around with
and to be perfectly honest they very well could have included more then 100 pokemon along with the mega evolutions.

i am happy with what im getting yes, but i and a lot of other people would want more new pokemon to play with after all that is the point of a new generation...
maybe they could do some DLC like mini regions and areas to explore which will have new pokemon..something i don't think anyone here mentioned yet, which would be very cool

TRG

Hmmm...very interesting.The plot thickens...

Maybe the store that leaked the games just ordered them early? I'm under the assumption that the guy who's getting fined thousands owns a small store.

Smeargle1987

Reckless Trainer
I'm not a fan of the Mega Evolutions. GameFreak created these games as a product to be sold, not as a backbreaking favor for the fans. I'm absolutely within my rights to be critical and not purchase the games. Wake up and realize that I'm allowed to dislike something regardless of the amount of effort put into it, especially when my money is involved.

Im with you on this-when my hard earned money is involved,i expect a certain quality to my product.When it comes to a new Pokemon game-I expect a certain amount of new Pokemon

Icepath

Does anyone know the levels for the Starter Pokemon?

And for Gloomy to evolve into Sligoo?

Photonkrios95

So I went for a Gamestop interview today, as the guys there told me to apply since we are friends. I asked about XY and if they had them yet and they said no, and they probably won't be getting them until Thursday or Friday. Why would Canadian stores have them two weeks before release and not US store? Especially Gamestop being a big chain here.
Just curious really..

On a side note, I'm excited about all the pokemon, even it being around 70. I'm just disappointed they didn't have any evolutions for older pokemon except megas..(and eevee)
I think the only pokemon I'm not really fond of this gen are Swirlix's line and Spritzee's. Although I'd rather have a Spritzee..
One of my favorites, which I never saw coming was Skrelp's evo. Dragon/Poison type sounds awesome.

From what I've heard their was a misprint on some of the games shipping labels that said 2nd Oct instead of the 12th as the release date for the games that may be wrong though.

On a topic related note;

I quite like the 450 pokemon before the E4, espcially given that what we know so far, i.e. not including events or undiscovered legendaries, you can catch a all but 1 new pokemon between the 2 games.

Also, this may just be me but, the fact the dex us split into 3 sections gives the sense that Kalos is a lot bigger than previous regions, despite some people saying that their is a reduced encounter rate for pokemon on routes because of the vast majority if pokemon that can be found their.

Rhyz

Just curious really..

Chances are there was a mix up at the distribution ware house. It's not like Game Stop hasn't got things early before. I remember a GS near me had started selling Eventide packs for MTG a week before release. Mistakes happen. Then they get out of hand, like with the leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.