• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Okay it doesn't have to be word for word of the myth. The resemblance is there and you cannot deny that.

I can deny it because I don't see a resemblance, or at least one that isn't largely superficial. Reshiram and Zekrom had strong ties to their Taoist basis, just as Dialga and Palkia had with their Shinto one and Groudon and Kyogre had with their Hebrew one. Aside from Zygarde living underground (but not doing anything else that Nidhogg does), there's not much to connect them to Norse mythology other than "Oh well there are stags and an eagle, see? That must be it." But perhaps we should transfer this discussion to the Legendaries thread?

BayBird

Hummingbird Advocate
The only resemblance is that they fit the animals, that's it. Other then that, they have nothing else in common with the Norse myth.

Again, just sharing the animals doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of myths with a stag, large bird and snake/dragon.

...Right. Norse mythology being one of them. Am I wrong? No. Are you? No. I don't see the problem.

Sephora

yes I'm back
I can deny it because I don't see a resemblance, or at least one that isn't largely superficial. Reshiram and Zekrom had strong ties to their Taoist basis, just as Dialga and Palkia had with their Shinto one and Groudon and Kyogre had with their Hebrew one. Aside from Zygarde living underground (but not doing anything else that Nidhogg does), there's not much to connect them to Norse mythology other than "Oh well there are stags and an eagle, see? That must be it." But perhaps we should transfer this discussion to the Legendaries thread?

But what's the chance of it being an eagle, stag, and a snake? Pretty slim if you ask me.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
But Yveltal doesn't seem to be much of a protector since it basically destroys eveything. Shiva, in Hindu mythology, is the Destroyer. In Celtic mythology, the Morrigan takes the form of a crow and is the goddess of war and strife. In what way does the Yggdrasil eagle thematically resemble Yveltal?

Also with Xerneas, who is one stag, not four, and whose association with life and nature calls to mind figures like Brahma in Hindu mythology or the Celtic Cernunnos.

Furthermore, Niddhog is a somewhat destructive entity but Zygarde is a protector who cares about the ecosystem. Besides being a subterranean serpent, what mythical similarities do they share?
Maybe not word for word. But the designs get very, very close to the legend. Everyone has their own theory. This theory seems plausible. And after watching this video I became even more of a supporter of the Yggdrasil theory.

Nightdawn

Gamer Since 1987
I'm anxious to see some of the Pokémon in the game when it gets released.
I'm also a bit disappointed with the fact that there are so few new ones and I don't like the whole Mega thing at all (Personal opinion!)
They already had 3D models from previous games, what could've been so hard with it? Making something 3D is just as difficult as 2D. Also Pokémon Blue/Green/Red got a feel to it that no other can replace, love first gen and I play through it on a monthly basis.

If Pokémon is going to be any good then they need to treat Pokémon as something new and fresh, yes Mega and customisations do that and hopefully they can add more.

More Pokémon to the region please!

Ver-mont

I love Skrelp's Evolution. A Poison/Dragon that is based off of a Weedy Sea Dragon...Kingdra just got a little brother :D

Also, if Xerneas represents like, and Yvyltal represents destruction, what if Zygarde is like the Orobouros, representing Eternity?

According to its Pokédex species, Zygarde is Order.

(but I like the ouroboros theory, it is snakelike after all)

Sephora

yes I'm back
I'm anxious to see some of the Pokémon in the game when it gets released.
I'm also a bit disappointed with the fact that there are so few new ones and I don't like the whole Mega thing at all (Personal opinion!)
They already had 3D models from previous games, what could've been so hard with it? Making something 3D is just as difficult as 2D. Also Pokémon Blue/Green/Red got a feel to it that no other can replace, love first gen and I play through it on a monthly basis.

If Pokémon is going to be any good then they need to treat Pokémon as something new and fresh, yes Mega and customisations do that and hopefully they can add more.

More Pokémon to the region please!

Umm, not really. Obviously making 3D models for the pokemon takes longer work than the simple 2D counterparts.

ebevan91

About that move that adds Ghost to the Pokemon's type... what if the Pokemon is dual typed? Will the Pokemon theoretically have 3 types?

storm12

Weather Bearer
Overall, I am very happy with most of the pokemon this gen :) but, a couple of things that do really bug me:

Skrelps evo is AMAZING! It's unexpected, awesome long-awaited unique type, cool evolution method; everything- AMAZING!

On the other [X exclusive] hand, Clawitzer, is so underwhelming :L pure Water? Really? Come on GF, how is that enticing when a Poison/Dragon sehorsedragon creauture is on offer elsewhere? Why no Water/Fire, Water/Electric even- or Water/Steel maybe? I honestly, honestly, honestly don't get it... jeez... seriously disappointed :(

Well, according to Smogon Noivern's BST only clocks in around 535 or so; so it's probably more like the Volcarona of this Gen instead. Love his design to death regardless.

I was honestly hoping we'd get a Fairy Pseudo Legendary for the sole sake of nerfing Dragons, but it ended up being another dragon (which, again, I like Goomy and the others but find myself confused on why they'd make a powerful Dragon in a metagame designed to water them down). I didn't see a Dragon Pseudo coming this Generation at all, despite the fact it's been almost "canon" for the last three generations.

Some may say that makes me ignorant; but I wouldn't have carried this mindset if GF themselves didn't admit in an interview they felt Dragons were overpowered and needed to be addressed. Goodra's place in Kalos comes off as ironic to me, but anyone else's mileage will rightfully vary.

Yup, I vehemently agree :) really, Goodra's line is cool, I like them all :) but then, a pure Dragon pseudo legend line? Really GF? The gen that was supposed to bring some balance to the battling scene by the introduction of the Fairy type- well, part of the problem, a BIG part, was introducing so many powerful [read most of the pseudo legends!] Dragons! So, the fact they have acknowedged Dragon types dominant position because of these factors, it doesn't seem like they've done much in terms of actually practicing this :L I trully thought we would be expecting a Fairy pseudo legend this gen too- honest- it really would have done well their intention of balancing it out, so I don't undestand how they've further up Dragon's average BST with the Goomy line- it totally puzzles me...
Nyuck-nyuck-nyuck

Game Freak's BST choice on that pokemon is a little amusing. They appear to address common issues in battling and are working to make competitive play more accessible in XY, yet we still have Ice types with high defenses as if it'd help them. Look how far it got Cryoganal and Regice...

...Oh, wait...

This infuriates me... it really does... do they actually think that giving it good defenses will make it useful as a defensive pokemon when Ice type is ridiculously, utterly ridiculously poor at taking hits- through no fault of it's own. I still can't get my head round why Ice still only has a single resistance on a type chart that has been TWEAKED? HOW :O

Touche. I don't really follow Smogon's tiers as closely as others do, so you got me there.

However, that doesn't really change the issue at hand too much. Maybe Ice typing is meant to be terrible defensively on purpose? But if so, why hand pokemon of that typing "solid" defenses? They're easier than ever to work around now, but in XY they'll be even easier to undermine now that Fairy's weakness in Steel may see attacks of that type spike. That's looks to be an indirect nerf to Ice.

This is the enigma that I can't fathom, I guess GF really really really hate the cold :L

Heh, gotta love when people try and talk about things they don't completely know about.
Pretty sure Yveltal is actually based on Hræsvelgr good ol' Corpse Swallower. :)

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I don't think that the Hindu mythology would give a complete picture of the three legendaries, as there are a bit of ambiguous traits associated with it.

As far as the Celtic one goes, I haven't seen enough from it to be certain.

Nightdawn

Gamer Since 1987
Umm, not really. Obviously making 3D models for the pokemon takes longer work than the simple 2D counterparts.

Doesn't need to, some 3D games takes less time to make then 2D, It's up to the creator and the needed time for the product/model.
Besides every 3D Pokémon so far got perfectly fine models and they've stated that they worked on Y/X longer then any other game, makes me think that they had it easier or worked less on Gamecube/Wii games then this one.. N64 brought 3D Pokémon and that was Huge back then, some models stayed that pixelated for generations.

Ver-mont

Doesn't need to, some 3D games takes less time to make then 2D, It's up to the creator and the needed time for the product/model.
Besides every 3D Pokémon so far got perfectly fine models and they've stated that they worked on Y/X longer then any other game, makes me think that they had it easier or worked less on Gamecube/Wii games then this one.. N64 brought 3D Pokémon and that was Huge back then, some models stayed that pixelated for generations.

There's no way making a 3D model is easier than making a 2D sprite, and this game didn't port models from the home console games.

Heartlessangel17

Dark Trainer
Overall, I am very happy with most of the pokemon this gen :) but, a couple of things that do really bug me:

Skrelps evo is AMAZING! It's unexpected, awesome long-awaited unique type, cool evolution method; everything- AMAZING!

On the other [X exclusive] hand, Clawitzer, is so underwhelming :L pure Water? Really? Come on GF, how is that enticing when a Poison/Dragon sehorsedragon creauture is on offer elsewhere? Why no Water/Fire, Water/Electric even- or Water/Steel maybe? I honestly, honestly, honestly don't get it... jeez... seriously disappointed :(

Yup, I vehemently agree :) really, Goodra's line is cool, I like them all :) but then, a pure Dragon pseudo legend line? Really GF? The gen that was supposed to bring some balance to the battling scene by the introduction of the Fairy type- well, part of the problem, a BIG part, was introducing so many powerful [read most of the pseudo legends!] Dragons! So, the fact they have acknowedged Dragon types dominant position because of these factors, it doesn't seem like they've done much in terms of actually practicing this :L I trully thought we would be expecting a Fairy pseudo legend this gen too- honest- it really would have done well their intention of balancing it out, so I don't undestand how they've further up Dragon's average BST with the Goomy line- it totally puzzles me...

This infuriates me... it really does... do they actually think that giving it good defenses will make it useful as a defensive pokemon when Ice type is ridiculously, utterly ridiculously poor at taking hits- through no fault of it's own. I still can't get my head round why Ice still only has a single resistance on a type chart that has been TWEAKED? HOW :O

This is the enigma that I can't fathom, I guess GF really really really hate the cold :L

What is the evolution method for Skrelp?

Status
Not open for further replies.