• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Faint Attack
"The user approaches the target disarmingly, then throws a sucker punch. It hits without fail."

Dirty combat. They trick their opponent and then throw a sucker punch.

Dark Pulse
"The user releases a horrible aura imbued with dark thoughts. It may also make the target flinch."

Dirty combat. No darkness beyond the user's own twisted thoughts, which pertain to being evil, not to darkness.

Dark Void
As has often been stated, Darkrai is the only darkness-based Dark-type Pokémon, and even then, that's just applying a theme to his already-existing "evil" nature (although, like Absol, he's not really evil).

Night Daze
"The user lets loose a pitch-black shock wave at its target. It may also lower the target's accuracy."

This one is associated with darkness, but is also the signature move of Zoroark, a trickster. It's similar to Darkrai's case; the darkness is an applied theme.

Night Slash
"The user slashes the target the instant an opportunity arises. Critical hits land more easily."

Dirty combat. They attack the opponent as soon as they can.

And fighting isn't all honorable as fighting being super effective against normal can almost be seen as a bullying type effect since the strong/discipline are beating up the run of the mill/non-talented.
That's what we call a "natural advantage." In real life, a trained fighter would have the edge in a fight against in average person; it doesn't have to be about bullying them.

Last edited:

KKS-Lapras

I agree, but with the name "Normal" implies simplicity and normality. Fighting being SE against Normal always felt like to me a type of bullying. And compared to fighting they are technically unskilled as they use moves from everyday life.

Everyday life, whom..., Hyper Beam/Giga Impact/Hidden Power say hi and wonder what everyday activities they stem from.

The soulless eyes make me take Ghost as being possible to, saw somebody else thought that.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Hm, your close-mindedness is stronger than I thought. Tell me, did you consider idiots the sole few who guessed Black and White would have sequels to uphold the intelligence of those who thought a game called "Pokémon Gray" would exist?

If Dark is just dirty fighting tactics, then why was Dark a Special type in generation 3 while Fighting was a Physical type? I don't understand where you get this information from. It sounds like something the fandom made up that isn't actually represented by Game Freak. I have never known any set of Pokémon to embody Dark and Fighting as counterparts.

Dark is dirty tactics because it is the EVIL TYPE. The only moves that actually use Drakness are: Dark Void, and Night Daze. None other. (No, not Dark Pulse, it is even in the flavor text that it is made from EVIL thoughts)

elfrings

But flying isn't a special type. Introducing a Physical type evolution would be really out of left field, IMO.

Besides, it doesn't have wings and we know how muh Game Freak likes wings on flying things (save for a select few). Even Dunsparce has wings and he can't do any flying moves.

There's no such thing as "special" types and "physical" types anymore. Every type has special moves and physical moves. Wasn't Dark originally a physical type before that was done away with? Eevee could literally evolve into any type at all.

Watchog

Lv. 50
Light type sounds a little overlame, I'll Pray for pokemon if light type were to be introduced. My highest bets are on flying/normal/fighting.

divinepanda

Lv. 100 Spinda
Everyday life, whom..., Hyper Beam/Giga Impact/Hidden Power say hi and wonder what everyday activities they stem from.

The soulless eyes make me take Ghost as being possible to, saw somebody else thought that.

Well of course there are exceptions. But wha about the more common Tackle, Scratch, Body Slam, Doubleslap, Sing, etc. And Hidden Power can theoretically be any type, it's different for everyone.

dman_dustin

If Dark is just dirty fighting tactics, then why was Dark a Special type in generation 3 while Fighting was a Physical type? I don't understand where you get this information from. It sounds like something the fandom made up that isn't actually represented by Game Freak. I have never known any set of Pokémon to embody Dark and Fighting as counterparts.

I have to question this dirty fighting too, and there's one Pokemon that also questions it.

Spiritomb.

Seriously read it's Pokedex entries.

"Misdeeds" which means "an immoral or wicked deed." That doesn't really sound like "dirty fighting" to me. I'm not saying the dark type can't utilize "dirty fighting tactics" but I seriously doubt it's the only thing that covers.

How about wicked, evil acts as well which are worse than "dirty fighting tactics" plus fighting type being super effective against the dark type, is more along the lines of a hero defeating the bad guy.

Plus dark type is just dark type as well. Umbreon isn't evil/wicked nor does it rely on dirty tactics, same with Absol, sometime it is just that type.

divinepanda

Lv. 100 Spinda
There's no such thing as "special" types and "physical" types anymore. Every type has special moves and physical moves. Wasn't Dark originally a physical type before that was done away with? Eevee could literally evolve into any type at all.

Dark was special. And I know that types aren't divided that way anymore but they were originally and the evolutions have this far followed that blueprint.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor

The Dark-type moves themselves that existed in Gen II were Bite (you're biting them, that's pretty low), Beat Up (calling upon other team members to gang-attack the enemy), Crunch (biting them harder), Faint Attack (pretending to be harmless, then socking them in the gut), Pursuit (chasing the enemy and beating them up as they attempt to escape), and Thief (grabbing their item). The only reason Dark was a special type initially was for balance purposes.

The reason Dark and Fighting don't have direct counterparts is because it's not a perfect parallel. It's still pretty solid, though, and doesn't require a Light-type to be added to satisfy a need to emulate other fantasy works or make Flash Cannon make sense or whatever.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Dark was special. And I know that types aren't divided that way anymore but they were originally and the evolutions have this far followed that blueprint.

Well, it could have also been a coincidence, considering that Eevee apwas physical typed. You're all treating it like Eevee doesn't exist in the Eeveelution list.

bippacooleth

Quiver Dance=Success
I don't get it.

They're no more soulless than any of the other Pokemon in the picture.

I think it's the fact that the white pupil is just way les visible than in the other evolutions. Leafeon is one exception, but the pale blue of Ninfia's eyes just give it a ghostly look IMO, like the blue fire we often have associated with the ghost type

divinepanda

Lv. 100 Spinda
And if evil/dark exists would it be good/light as a counter. At the end of the day, we can all agree that Dark is meant to be a pure malevolent type but there is no pure benevolent type.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
Light type sounds a little overlame, I'll Pray for pokemon if light type were to be introduced. My highest bets are on flying/normal/fighting.

Yep. Light-type would be lame and absolutely pointless.

And if evil/dark exists would it be good/light as a counter. At the end of the day, we can all agree that Dark is meant to be a pure malevolent type but there is no pure benevolent type.

Fighting-type work as a counter for the Dark-type. One fights with cheap tricks, other plays with honor. That is all, there is no need for a pointless Light/Good-type.

flygon1509

basically meaning that there will be no chance of it ever occuring. it is just stupid to make another type, it would just throw off the balance that we have had since generation 2, Virus is basically your poison type, zombie type is ghost type pokemon, Cyber is Steel, Air is Flying, and the rest of the other types you just mentioned make absolutley no sense. in fact GF would be far better off staying with the seventeen types they already have
Thank you for explaining my sarcasm.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I think it's the fact that the white pupil is just way les visible than in the other evolutions. Leafeon is one exception, but the pale blue of Ninfia's eyes just give it a ghostly look IMO, like the blue fire we often have associated with the ghost type

._. Now I envision Ninfia's animated sprite having it's eyes go out and float around like Will-O-Wisps, and then going back in. Thanks.

KKS-Lapras

And now's as good a time as any to break that blue print mold. There was never any actual confirmed statement that, yeah, special type evolutions only. At some point, probably this generation by the looks of it, that is likely to be broken.

divinepanda

Lv. 100 Spinda
Well, it could have also been a coincidence, considering that Eevee apwas physical typed. You're all treating it like Eevee doesn't exist in the Eeveelution list.

But Eevee is neutral by being normal. And it technically isn't an Eeveelution because it hasn't evolved. It's a base level Pokemon. Normal is and always has been the neutral type.

dman_dustin

Eevee was only normal so it could evolve into other weird types.

It makes no sense to have Eevee be a water type and have it evolve into a fire type, or an electric type.

Ground might have been the ONLY alternate type that could've worked. And even then it's not like ground is as basic as normal is.

Fighting and Psychic are benevolent.

Dark types are immune to psychic type moves.

And fighting is only super effective because it's hero beating bad guy logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.