• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.
... How did Sylveon hit Gligar twice in a row with two different attacks?

That was most likely Trump Card. The plates are thrown first, then the impact is shown right after.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Pokemon shown in promotion aren't guaranteed to make it into the game, loads of older Pokemon were in the Black/White promotion but as we all know, non of them made it.

I highly doubt that we're not going to get any past Generation Pokemon in this game.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Pausing the video of the first move, it's definitely Fire-type. I can clearly see a ring of flames coming out of the blast when the attack connects. Seems somewhat generic; I'd peg it as Fire Blast if it's an existing move, but it's probably a Gen VI move.

The second move is Trump Card. Standard Eevee level-up move; nothing to see here, folks.

Third move is probably new. If I had to assign it an existing move... Charge? Looks vaguely Electric and possibly Dark.

Fourth move is Swift. What's interesting here is that Eevee can only learn Swift via Gen IV tutors, though Espeon is capable of learning it via level-up. May hint at a special bias for Sylveon, as well as a possible emphasis on Speed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Pokemon shown in promotion aren't guaranteed to make it into the game, loads of older Pokemon were in the Black/White promotion but as we all know, non of them made it.

I don't believe the BW trailers showed old Pokemon. On the contrary, the BW2 trailers did, and all of the Pokemon showed in those ended up in the Regional Dex.

Nightblind249

I'm hoping with the Nat Dex they will include all of the previous gen pokes plus the new ones, this way we don't have to do hundreds of transfers, highly doubtful but a hope none the less. The 3ds cartridge should have enough memory for it, or have the game specific pokemon for each pair native to x and y. So R/G/Ru/D/B/B2 in one game and B/S/Sa/P/W/W2 in the other.

mtie123

Johto's Hero
You never know other than the new pokemon each game could have complete contrasting dexs. There is enough pokemon available but i don't think it's that likely

pichu-is-super-cute

4chan is freaking out over the type of Sylveon...

Honestly, it makes more sense if they give it an existing type (no new one...) and I've read a lot of good arguments about it being a flying-type.

NO Skyla relation though. God... xD

silicon

Swordsman
Pausing the video of the first move, it's definitely Fire-type. I can clearly see a ring of flames coming out of the blast when the attack connects. Seems somewhat generic; I'd peg it as Fire Blast if it's an existing move, but it's probably a Gen VI move.

It looked more like a physical fire move to me.

I don't believe the BW trailers showed old Pokemon. On the contrary, the BW2 trailers did, and all of the Pokemon showed in those ended up in the Regional Dex.

Not sure about the BW trailers, but I'm positive not all of the pokemon shown in the BW2 trailers ended up in the regional dex. Also I recall hearing that certain pokemon showed up in trailers for Gen IV and then weren't obtainable in the game.

I still say that Slyveon is most likely Normal typed. In addition to the point I made before that if we were only given the design and no other info, everyone would be saying that it was Normal typed, I have another point: Given it's various names, they all seem to relate to some fairy-like creatures. We have several pokemon that are called "Fairy pokemon" in thier species. All of them are of the normal type.

StingrayKurt

If this is a flying eevee I've gotta say what a terrible design! If it is a flying type it should have wings! Look at vaporeons brilliant design it's a water type therefore it has an awesome caudal fin(tail fin).

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
Sylv could also be a corruption o the word sylph, which are air spirits or nymphs commonly associated with the classical elements. It might just be a flying type. the ribbons, lend it the appearance of a kite like many have said and their flowing gives it a light and airy feel, the colors at arbitrary (since air has no predominate color othe than clear) but the pastels remind me of clouds. And the suffix of its name brings it more credibility in my eyes. I hope this isn't the only eeveelution this gen, gamefreak is getting very creative this time around.

sylph (n.)
1650s, from Modern Latin sylphes (plural), coined 16c. by Paracelsus (1493-1541), originally referring to any race of spirits inhabiting the air, described as being mortal but lacking a soul. Paracelsus' word seems to be an arbitrary coinage, but perhaps it holds a suggestion of Latin sylva and Greek nymph. The meaning "slender, graceful girl" first recorded 1838, on the notion of "light, airy movements." Silphid (1670s) are the younger or smaller variety, from French sylphide (1670s).

Congrats, you have just officially convinced me that Sylveon is a flying type :)

However, if this is the case I'm really irked as to why the flaming heck they wouldn't just call it 'Sylpheon'. The corruption of the 'ph' to 'v' changes the etymology completely and points to some kind of woodland creature, leading to my earlier theory about it being a bug type. Sylpheon also has a graceful air on the tongue that Sylveon simply doesn't. Anyone agree/disagree?

pichu-is-super-cute

sylph (n.)
1650s, from Modern Latin sylphes (plural), coined 16c. by Paracelsus (1493-1541), originally referring to any race of spirits inhabiting the air, described as being mortal but lacking a soul. Paracelsus' word seems to be an arbitrary coinage, but perhaps it holds a suggestion of Latin sylva and Greek nymph. The meaning "slender, graceful girl" first recorded 1838, on the notion of "light, airy movements." Silphid (1670s) are the younger or smaller variety, from French sylphide (1670s).

Congrats, you have just officially convinced me that Sylveon is a flying type :)

However, if this is the case I'm really irked as to why the flaming heck they wouldn't just call it 'Sylpheon'. The corruption of the 'ph' to 'v' changes the etymology completely and points to some kind of
woodland creature, leading to my earlier theory about it being a bug type. Sylpheon also has a graceful air on the tongue that Sylveon simply doesn't. Anyone agree/disagree?

Completely agree with you. I honestly hope it's going to be a flying type, it's growing on to me as a flying-type haha.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
It looked more like a physical fire move to me.

Most kinds of shots, blasts, beams, pulses, or what-have-yous that don't involve a large amount of movement on the part of the user, particularly those of a type that was formerly classified as special (or Ice, which is typically manifested as physical ice), are special. The only physical Fire move not to make contact is Sacred Fire.

Not sure about the BW trailers, but I'm positive not all of the pokemon shown in the BW2 trailers ended up in the regional dex.

...Can you name any that didn't? Wingull, Metagross, Magneton, Seviper, Muk, Zangoose, Arcanine, and Lucario are the ones off the top of my head I remember, and they all made it in.

Also I recall hearing that certain pokemon showed up in trailers for Gen IV and then weren't obtainable in the game.

I wasn't around then (I joined around the Japanese announcement of Platinum), so you'd need to link me to that trailer. I'd still consider the BW2 more indicative, though, if only because it's more recent.

I still say that Slyveon is most likely Normal typed. In addition to the point I made before that if we were only given the design and no other info, everyone would be saying that it was Normal typed, I have another point: Given it's various names, they all seem to relate to some fairy-like creatures. We have several pokemon that are called "Fairy pokemon" in thier species. All of them are of the normal type.

That's what I'm thinking, or it may be a Dragon-type in the vein of something like Altaria or Lati@s. Its coloration includes lighter shades of red and blue, the colors that represented Dragon in the past.

AmbipomMaster

#TeamInstinct
ANyway, I'd like a Pokemon to represent 'Y' Chromosones if Sylveon does represent the 'X' ones with it's bows. It could be a Fighting type with a Tie, I mean Ties compared to bows, and females are considered 'graceful' (usually normal, but that's taken, so flying!) while Males are considered 'powerful' (Fighting). Yet Flying beats Fighting, so that's abuse! It'll probably never happen, but oh well :D

Uhm, I think that Sylveon is the only Eeveelution this Generation. Because if it wasn't, they would've featured them both together. Besides, why make an Eevee short with one and not the other? That doesn't make sense....

And I know that I could be wrong, but the fact that they have the movie short poster in CoroCoro kinda says that they won't add another Eeveelutions.

And, I do think the fiery type move was a Dragon based move. Outrage? I don't understand why it would be Fire Blast (we already have Flareon) and Focus Blast doesn't have fire. But that's just my opinion.

I'm really lobbying for a Dragon Sylveon, if you didn't notice :)

General Nonsense

Star Glider
However, if this is the case I'm really irked as to why the flaming heck they wouldn't just call it 'Sylpheon'. The corruption of the 'ph' to 'v' changes the etymology completely and points to some kind of woodland creature, leading to my earlier theory about it being a bug type. Sylpheon also has a graceful air on the tongue that Sylveon simply doesn't. Anyone agree/disagree?

Maybe becasue Sylveon rolls off the tongue easier? Does for me at least. Who knows?

I highly doubt that we're not going to get any past Generation Pokemon in this game.

I never said that we wouldn't.

I was going to say how you were wrong and link to proof, but after looking for it, it seems that you are right. It's strange, because I definitely remember Pikachu being shown and Serebii making a list of old Pokemon that were supposedly confirmed, but it's possible that I'm confusing things, that list maybe was from the 4th gen, I don't remember. Nevertheless, as I said, you are right.

Aegon

Maybe becasue Sylveon rolls off the tongue easier? Does for me at least. Who knows?
I think it is slightly easier to say, but I sometimes wonder if they actually care too much about this, considering the names of some other Pokémon. If the name does indeed derive from "sylph", I would have preferred Sylpheon.

Status
Not open for further replies.