• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditto B1tch

Folks, I found the image below. I hope it's fake.

[spoil]
1361225814223.png
[/spoil]

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
In an attempt to steer the conversation away from Sylveon, how many new Pokemon do you guys suppose will be in the new series?
There will be more than 700, which would be obvious because it's only 51 more than we have now. Generation V introduced 156 Pokemon.
Perhaps anywhere from 120-160?
GF has followed a pattern were every other generation focuses more on pre-evo's/evolution's, and because of this their number is smaller compared to Gen's 1, 3, and 5.
Gen 1= 151
Gen 2= 100
Gen 3= 135
Gen 4= 107
Gen 5= 156

There's a few things that prove that Gen 6 will follow this pattern, for starters the gen's that have introduced more evolution's they've introduced new eeveelution's(Gen 2 Umbreon/Espeon, Gen 4 Glaceon/Leafeon).
As well they've said that Gen 6 will bring the grand total of pokemon over 700, that's only saying for sure the number is above 51. If it were anything like Gen's 1, 3, and 5 wouldn't they have said instead it will be more then 750.
I say that Gen 6 will only introduce around 105-110.

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
bugs have to have six to eight legs to be a bug
scyther, pinsir, pineco, forrestress, scizor, shuckle, heracross, surskit, masquerain, nincada, ninjask, shedinja, kricketot, kricketune, burmy, wormadam.... oh man I forgot to add one's that don't have any legs at all lol.

WaffleCopter

<-- Kamehameha!!!
Smeragle might get an evo. Gen 6 was hinted quite a bit in BW2. The pepole speaking french, N's sister's hairs having x and y in them. I believe that the guy that talks about smearagle in nacrene city infront of the museum is hinting at something. Also the random stunfisk at night could be another hint.

DarkSword39

Heehouhouhouhou!
Hoping for a Narwhal, like the horn on its head is a lightning rod and it's a Water/Electric.
EDIT: Wait, Jew-Type?! It would make a little more sense if it said Jewel-Type.

Last edited:

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
Smeragle might get an evo. Gen 6 was hinted quite a bit in BW2. The pepole speaking french, N's sister's hairs having x and y in them. I believe that the guy that talks about smearagle in nacrene city infront of the museum is hinting at something. Also the random stunfisk at night could be another hint.

The Stunfisk event was proably a reference to Cilan in the anime, and Stunfisk's meme like popularity. Cilan is from Striaton, where it happens.

I'm hoping for more ghosts, and if they introduce new types, make them balanced.

wow now that you mention it it does

Hidden Power

That's what I disliked about Sinnoh...

Cross-gen evolutions are fine, but having too many (and unnecessary evolutions) were a bit of a let down.
I think it would've been better if they focused on entirely new Pokemon.

The number of legendaries are a bit too much, too...

I'm fine with only 100 new additions as long as they put that small number to good use.
If they introduced around 130. Then having many having around 12-15 legendaries and 20 cross-gen evos would be fine.
You are still left with around 95+ new ordinary Pokemon.

One may argue about Gen having 13 Legendaries. But that's fine since there were 156 Pokemon introduced, compared to Sinnoh's 107.

Aye, we share similar opinions.

In particular about the point on cross-gen evolutions, I honestly don't think Game Freak, having established its franchise firmly and with years of experience, still needs to resort to this marketing gimmick, nor do I think that it would've a significant difference to their sales. It's useful for giving rather weak Pokemon from the earlier gens a helpful nudge to increase their usage, but I would rather they introduce a whole, complete evolutionary line within one generation so that the artwork and evolutionary concept remain more consistent, or at least that's how I tend to view it.

Some people might think that new evolutions for old pokes are always better. Afterall you get to use bigger, angrier, stronger Pokemon. But just because the new evolutions are more viable doesn't mean that they have great designs. I was randomly browsing Smogon's site and was quite surprised that they actually have an art panel in their webzine to judge (casually) Pokemon designs across all generations. It says a lot, coming from a community which I thought wouldn't care that much about appearances.

Here's an example: http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue13/art_panel

B. Thunder Tiger

Speaking about new evos for this generation, I really want to see a proper evolution for Sharpedo! He's my favorite Dark-type Pokémon, and a evolution could help it become stronger and make its defenses stronger, since its often one shotted by a super effective attack due to its abysmal low defenses. Turn it into something like a hammerhead shark as its current form hints to it greatly, not to say, Sharpedo seems just...seems so incomplete to me as how he looks like now.

People like it when things evolve because it makes some of their favorite pokemon viable. The designs also usually improve, although the art style shifts. I, for example, would enjoy it if Mawile evolved. It would patch previous 'mistakes' where pokemon were designed to be useful in-game until the rest of your party evolves, where they become obsolete. But because they are no longer from the current generation, they can tweak them without worrying about what happens in-game.

The Musician

Heracross trainer
For the amount of Pokemon per generation, gens 3 and 5 were kind of reboots to the series (3 since you could no longer transfer from the old Gameboy games and 5 for a completely new and full Pokedex). I don't necessarily see the numbers of new Pokemon being related to even and odd numbered generations, but rather how much access and connectivity to other games they initially want. That being said, I'd think in the lower 100's.

I'm curious as to why people are so doubtful about the creation of a new type. I was never a fan of the concept until I saw Sylveon; to me it just screams new type and especially with the way GF/Nintendo is hyping the question of what type it could possibly be. I think the type chart could use something fresh, especially after three generations and over 10 years of nothing new. And it's definitely NOT perfectly balanced. Poison says hi.

SteveVacante

Just a few evolutions I'd personally like to see: Rapidash (into a Pegasus), Jynx, Ursaring, Sharpedo (into a Hammerhead), Qwilfish, Golduck, Dewgong (into a narwhal), Marowak, Pinsir, Lanturn (into a dolphin), Flaaffy branch, Dunsparce, Corsola, Octillery (into a squid), Houndoom (into a Cerberus), Donphan (into a mammoth), Breloom, Manectric, Crawdaunt, Kecleon, Banette (since Dusclops got one), Absol, Relicanth, Kricketune, Lumineon, Musharna, Basculin, Swanna, Ferrothorn, Beartic, Heatmor, and Durant. I'd also enjoy seeing a Pokemon that evolves into both Tauros and Miltank, one that evolves into Volbeat and Illumise, and one that evolves into Pinsir and Heracross

Hidden Power

People like it when things evolve because it makes some of their favorite pokemon viable. The designs also usually improve, although the art style shifts. I, for example, would enjoy it if Mawile evolved. It would patch previous 'mistakes' where pokemon were designed to be useful in-game until the rest of your party evolves, where they become obsolete. But because they are no longer from the current generation, they can tweak them without worrying about what happens in-game.

I highly doubt that Pokemon that don't evolve were added to the game specifically to be a temporary bridge for until those that can evolve do so, especially when some are considered to have fairly decent stats already (Buffoulant, Sawk, Throh etc). It's great that weaker pokes evolve and get a buff, but why go through this motion if you can have everything in one generation, from the same batch of artists? If GF needs the hype in the meantime, introducing a the basic stage of a brand new Pokemon line can generate as much hype, if not more.

Art style shift irks me a little, but it wasn't that bad a problem (I can usually just ignore a badly designed Pokemon) until GF outdid themselves by showing a Eeveelution that manages to confuse the speculators because it couldn't depict the type it represents clearly. Either that, or we're getting new types, like "Light type", "Pink type", Ribbons-and-Frills type", or"NEW type".

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
Just a few evolutions I'd personally like to see: Rapidash (into a Pegasus), Jynx, Ursaring, Sharpedo (into a Hammerhead), Qwilfish, Golduck, Dewgong (into a narwhal), Marowak, Pinsir, Lanturn (into a dolphin), Flaaffy branch, Dunsparce, Corsola, Octillery (into a squid), Houndoom (into a Cerberus), Donphan (into a mammoth), Breloom, Manectric, Crawdaunt, Kecleon, Banette (since Dusclops got one), Absol, Relicanth, Kricketune, Lumineon, Musharna, Basculin, Swanna, Ferrothorn, Beartic, Heatmor, and Durant. I'd also enjoy seeing a Pokemon that evolves into both Tauros and Miltank, one that evolves into Volbeat and Illumise, and one that evolves into Pinsir and Heracross

I definitely agree with you on all of this. Sharpedo into a hammerhead: that is brilliant! I love hammerheads and since sharpedo has bad defenses ( poor thing I name mine after Kisame from Naruto for pete's sakes ... OK I name my garchomp Kisame too but yeah) Sharpedo needs love.

Also I never noticed the trend if the amount of Pokemon total in each gen. If I were to speculate the total I want to guess between 110-130 pokes this time hopefully not to many legends.

Dukkee

Like most people on the forums I think Sylveon is a flying type. My theory is that eevee evolves into sylveon if its gender is female because sylveon has this feminine look to it and its counterpart usually eeveelutions come in pairs is most likely going to be a fighting, bug or rock since one eeveelution has to super effective against the other and it will have a boyish look.
That would be interesting. I'm trying to think of ways Eevees don't evolve yet. Maybe it'll be a trade-while-holding evo?

Status
Not open for further replies.